It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone did a profile of liberals and they scored a zero

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It's a good video. It was hard to watch. It's true if you can't be critical of yourself then self-governance is that much harder. Division is made worse when we the people can't change or won't honestly examine ourselves. It's US vs THEM in the absence of self-inquiry. Only our respect for country and sanctity of life stops us from crossing over into unending and extreme hostility.
edit on 1/27/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
What is a lefty?

Why not get a definition of left-wing from a lef-winger:

Fighting corruption in government is probably our main concern. Which means increased transparency. If I had my way, nothing in Washington would happen behind closed doors. This also means putting some kind of check on the concentration of power, and particular reducing the influence of big money in politics. You call us commies or anti-american, but when Donald comes around, a man who lives in an actual gold-plated palace, he somehow convinces you that he is a man of the people and that he'll fight the "elites" in washington. "Elites" ought to mean anybody trying to use power to influence policy, but has really just become code for anyone with left-leaning tendancies.

You might think left-wingers are anti capitalistic. We are pro entrepreneurship. But allowing too much power to accumulate in one place endangers our whole society. We think there should be some kind of check on the magnitude of wealth and influence that any indiviudal can amass.

We're not anti free market. We want to stop super monopolies, the lobyist takeover of Washington, and the corporate takeover of the media that make a free marketplace impossible.

We want to bring back jobs to America! We've been saying all along that we've got to stop shipping jobs oversees, and bring manufacturing back. We've floated the idea of implementing import tariffs, and we want to strengthen the crumbling infrastructure that industry relies on. You guys never listened to these ideas until Trump came along. You call it anti-capitalistic when we say it, and pro-American when Donald does. And why do you think we want to improve education? Could it be that a better educated populous is more productive, more efficient, more industrious?

Fighting for environmental and health causes is not done to spite the economy. We believe there are other concerns besides economic alone, and that all of these things need balance. Some will fight so hard for the "economy" (but they don't actually mean the economy, they mean big money, namely their own money) that they will do so at the expense of everything else. They'll go to such lengths as to deny that cigarettes cause cancer, or that breathing leaded exhaust might be bad for your health, or that climate change is even possible-- I've heard people say, no joke, that God wouldn't allow humans to alter the climate!

We want society to invest in education and science, and the other foundations of civilization which advance our whole culture. We also want to spend money to ensure a minimum standard of living for all citizens, which includes such things as access to inexpensive healthcare. We believe that in the long run, it will benefit all of society to have fewer impoverished, sick and dying on our streets. But when we promote these these things you just accuse us of wanting "free stuff".

Most left-wingers are against US interference in foreign conflicts. If we aren't going over there to save lives, we're just mucking up the waters. Look at the disasters unfolding in the middle east. That is precisely the kind of scenario we want to avoid. We don't want to destabilize governments or to arm random rebel groups. Of course, when we say these things you accuse us of being against the military. Then Donald comes around and it's suddenly cool, of course you forget left-wingers have been saying it all along.

Oh and by the way, we're super pro-life. Which is why we're against the death penalty, and why we are reluctant to go to war, and why we would like to put our heads together to come up with something that could help stop the kind of rapent gun violence happening in cities such as Chicago. Btw, being anti-gun violence is not the same as anti-guns. Most left-wingers aren't anti-guns. In fact most of the left-wingers I know own guns. Of course we think there should be some assurances in place to help keep guns out of unstable hands.

Being pro-choice is not the same as being pro-abortion. I don't personally have any further thoughts on this subject.

Finally, religion. I'm not religious myself and I don't know too many people that are. We start having a problem with religion when its faithful act as though their own beliefs are more important just becuase they come from a place of religion, that they alone have access to the one "truth", without any evidence to support it. But most of all I have a problem when religion gives someone liscence to tell other people how they should be living their lives.

These are among the top issues that, I think, a lot of left-wingers have in common. I think you'd be surprised how much left and right-wingers have in common. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop letting fox news and talk-radio define left-wing for you, and maybe get it straight from the horses' mouth for once.

EDITED AGAIN for clarity.
edit on 27-1-2017 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikegrouchy

originally posted by: AboveBoard

Holy crap. You really don't see the irony, do you?

What name have I called anyone?

Evidence please.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Who is the one suffering from projection here?

I would give you a /hug but I feel you would be threatened by it, so I just say, I love you.

Mike Grouchy

Sigh.

You were applying the five pillars to "liberals." I say that in quotes because you actually were applying it to your own prejudiced view of liberals as defined by the video in your OP and further defined by your pillar meme. (Which is name calling if you want to get technical.)

The irony is apparent, as the poster could easily have been titled "Republicans and Conservatives" as seen by liberals.

That you don't see that = irony

I don't believe you love me. But I'm always willing to hug someone who needs it.

Even you, Mike, in spite of the irony.

Heck, I'm gonna call it HUG A CONSERVATIVE DAY!!

((((((((HUG))))))))

Obviously you need this. Why put up this thread otherwise if you didn't want the attention?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's not about peer pressure. I'm not pressured in any way to lean more to the right side of things. I said it's embarrassing to be a liberal because it truly is! I hate to admit it but I am, in fact, surrounded by people in my age group that DO act like little kids throwing tantrums because they are being forced to THINK about their consequences. I was a "snowflake" until I took a step back and actually realized how stupid everyone looked. And the guy in the video, Sayat, was right when he said that liberals tend to focus on a good outcome without ever actually trying to figure out how to get to that outcome. They live for today. So, no, I don't want to be a liberal. But I do feel bad for calling them snowflakes. It's embarrassing.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

Good point but, if they go by that info they are not guessing. Some will go with dem because of the stereotype and some will go with rep thinking that you want to point out the anti-stereotype.

I want to be an antifederalist.

I think you can be both.

Seems like anyone complaining against anything can get the snowflake tag slapped on them.

Only people who are not snowflakes are those that shut up and take it. I don't think anyone wants to be one of those, outside of BDSM.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

mikegrouchy posted Video on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:54 AM

originally posted by: kaylaluv

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:57 AM
Sigh. Another thread promoting division.

Way to go.

You watched a 35 minute talk
laying out one of the most profound insights into American psychology in the last 70 years,
in only 3 minutes.

Amazing /s

How else are they supposed to promote division unless they are projecting their own flaws on others?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Like I said peer pressure. "I don't want to be called a name!" If you don't want to be a liberal, you should get a deeper reason beyond insulting ad hominems and a fear of being insulted. You sound like the child to me.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PageLC14
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Yes. But honestly, I feel like you just gave me the answer you knew I was looking for.

My guess was based on the following.

Most people don't become conservative till after 30 years old.
You seem beyond your years, and the choices were Democrat/Republican.
Conclusion: Republican.

Further, I felt that you would tell me if my guess was right or not, and weren't a shapeshifter because again; you seem beyond your years.

Thank you for the answer.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Way to go.

laying out one of the most profound insights into American psychology in the last 70 years,
in only 3 minutes.

Amazing /s

How else are they supposed to promote division unless they are projecting their own flaws on others?

Annnnnd again. Irony.

Wow.

((((((((HUG))))))))

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Way to go.

in only 3 minutes.

Amazing /s

Are you talking about the OP here? Because that is the video in the OP to a T.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Honestly, based on just the debates I've seen here on ATS between the conservatives and liberals and how some are so quick to call liberals out on their "five year old mindset" I want to be anything but a snowflake!! To announce myself as one would be embarrassing and shameful. No one listens to a liberal, especially here. My original question was to see how many would assume I was what you so easily referred to as a "snowflake". Truthfully. I'm not. Or at least, I DON'T WANT TO BE. I want to be an antifederalist.

It seems the right wing conservatives have taken up the "snowflake" identity with their incessant crybaby whine fest especially in the mud pit. To avoid the label, don't troll and whine, don't lie, use logic instead of BS hyperbole like this OP and most of all, don't gloat other wise you look really really sad, very very very sad, believe me. very sad.

Transgress on any of the above and I'll be the first to call you a snowflake. I don't care what people call me anymore since I have been marginalized as a "people like you"

Ahhhh Freedom!! If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!!

edit on 27-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I never said I didn't want to be called a name. I said I don't want to be a liberal because they tend to be a little more on the......uninformed side.
edit on 27-1-2017 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Just to troll and cause division. Got it.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I never said I didn't want to be called a name. I said I don't want to be a liberal because they tend to be a little more on the......uniformed side.

Ok then, that's a typical snowflake response. Who cares what people call you? It's the *****in internet for Christ sakes.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Because a troll thread based around a straw man argument of a video is the pinnacle of promoting unity.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Holy crap. You really don't see the irony, do you?

What name have I called anyone?

Evidence please.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Who is the one suffering from projection here?

I would give you a /hug but I feel you would be threatened by it, so I just say, I love you.

Mike Grouchy

Sigh.

You were applying the five pillars to "liberals." I say that in quotes because you actually were applying it to your own prejudiced view of liberals as defined by the video in your OP and further defined by your pillar meme. (Which is name calling if you want to get technical.)

The irony is apparent, as the poster could easily have been titled "Republicans and Conservatives" as seen by liberals.

That you don't see that = irony

I don't believe you love me. But I'm always willing to hug someone who needs it.

Even you, Mike, in spite of the irony.

Heck, I'm gonna call it HUG A CONSERVATIVE DAY!!

((((((((HUG))))))))

Obviously you need this. Why put up this thread otherwise if you didn't want the attention?

That ...
That was beautiful.

I am inspired to post a poem.

The ego that can be spoken is not the true ego.

It is the Tao that one drinks that is the eternal Tao.
If I take the Tao from your lips and drink it then you have spoken the true Tao.
If you speak of the Tao, and I answer with words of Tao, then there is no Tao between us.

For what is heaven but the blessing of our own descendants upon their memory of us.
If our descendants curse all their ancestors are we not cursed.
And if strangers bless us as their new ancestor are we not blessed with new children.

When we burn Joss Paper are we not admitting that our ancestors are lacking in rewards.
When we speak flaming Joss how can we drink the Tao.
Is it ego that guides us to drink the Tao, from many ancestors, even our own.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

......uniformed side.

Was that a typo?

Was it supposed to be "uninformed"?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Wait, so now being called a liberal is being called a name? I'm confused as to who your post was directed at because I specifically said I don't care about being called names at all. I'm trying to say I refuse to be placed in the liberal category because they are misinformed.
edit on 27-1-2017 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I never said I didn't want to be called a name. I said I don't want to be a liberal because they tend to be a little more on the......uniformed side.

Ok let's try it this way. You sound like my dad while I was growing up in the 90's. BIG Rush listener. Everything was "liberals are doing this...", "liberals are screwing up that..." blah blah blah. His ENTIRE political position was based on what liberals weren't and a drive to NOT be a liberal. He was insufferable and my mom used to ban him from talking about Rush and his opinions from time to time. That is a terrible political ideology. First off it is hateful and full of stereotypes. Second off, it destroys all semblance of compromise. And third off, it makes you look childish, petty and unable to form your own political opinions.

All I get from you is that you sound like an angry lady who doesn't want to be a liberal because of various social implications so you think that defaults you to be a conservative. I feel like you need to spend better time fleshing out your political opinions and stop basing them on what you THINK people you don't agree with think. That's called a strawman and you are guilty of it with your "Liberals tend to be on the uninformed side" comment.
edit on 27-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Yes, I fixed it.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join