It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on working with Australians??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
My work signed a contract with an Australian recruiting corporation, and I am wondering about cultural differences in the workplace. I've been darkly warned that Australians are super competitive, and not to reveal too much information, but I call BS. The two Australians I have known have been funny, friendly, and super honest about their thoughts and plans.

Any insight, Australian ATS members? What will the Australians think of my self-aggrandizing American Co workers? How will they react to non-competitive employees? What cultural expectations will be different? Advice or insights will be fascinating.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Treat everyone out to round of drinks .

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Treat everyone out to round of drinks .
You sound like my husband.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Oz is great place with great people . Youll enjoy working with them .

Just going with whats worked well in building good relations .

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Great people, great weather for the most part! My family is in Sydney.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

And the tuckers good too, aye!

Welcome to Aussie mate! If you ask Hutch (member), he can give you crabs.

bally
edit on 26-1-2017 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Just say things like Crikey, Mate, That's not a knife, this is a knife, and pretend to love crocodiles. You should be fine.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
We don't take things all that seriously. We definitely don't react well to people who try and tell us what to think. If you try that you will have a great deal of comedy gold to deal with.

If someone calls you a wanker, then pay attention!

Perhaps similar to Canada without the apologetic nature. We are more likely to laugh than apologize, unless we stuffed up, then we will say 'sorry mate' followed by 'she'll be right mate.' That will also be followed by a whack on your back.

Remember if a heated exchange is in progress we have a tenancy to go all Crocodile Dundee on your arse.

P

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Aussie here!

We are harmless unless you piss us off.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
We are all different good ones and bad ones
Just don't go grandstanding yourself or your country, most Aussies like humble people
Never say our beer tastes bad or our food is inferior, yeah it maybe but that's just rude

Not many cultural differences in reality, just learn what cricket is and why Davey Warner is bigger and stronger than Captain America

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

We generally call it as we see it, political correctness be damned.

Beer and wine are more important than air and water.

Bring meat and grog to mates parties, have at least 3 pairs of boardies and if you buy a dog and ute, you'll likely be offered citizenship.

If anyone asks, say you're from Canada - we can't tell the difference.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is going to be AWESOME. Unfortunately, I am not going there. They're coming here. It will be a breath of fresh air, based on all your responses.

I have a Queensland Blue Heeler, if that will get me citizenship. She's evil to strangers, but so sweet with kids.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
careful about the drop bears

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Just pretend you're Canadian, Eh.......You'll Fit right In........

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
Advice on working with Australians??

Perhaps I'm beating the obvious, here, but I've never heard of anyone, in any culture, being offended by unconditional Love!

True, unconditional Love is ALWAYS Known by It's unconditional Virtues; Compassion, Empathy, Sympathy, Gratitude, Humility, Charity (charity is never taking more than your share of anything, ever!), Honesty, Happiness, Faith...
ALWAYS!

From that base, folks will be happy to teach you what you need to know, wherever you might be!

tat tvam asi (en.wikipedia.org...)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX the drop bears might cute me to death. Hazardous.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss That sounds like a Catholic business consulting idea. I'm in.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Rule number 1 - Don't take yourself too seriously, have a laugh with them when they make a joke about you ( called taking the piss ) as its not a personal attack but more of an affection between us. If you can take the insults and lay back better ones you'll fit right in.

Some of the Yanks I have worked with took themself too seriously and when presented with an opinion about something they disagreed with got offended badly. Just laugh off what you don't agree with and don't take it too seriously either.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Learn everything you can about cricket, and ask them when they're going to get the Ashes back.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Basically we are all like donk, best to keep the beer flowing just to be on the safe side,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join