It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Human-Pig Hybrid Created in the Lab

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

In a remarkable—if likely controversial—feat, scientists announced today that they have created the first successful human-animal hybrids. The project proves that human cells can be introduced into a non-human organism, survive, and even grow inside a host animal, in this case, pigs.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.cell.com...

Every 10 minutes, a person is added to the national waiting list for organ transplants. Every 24 hours, 22 people die on that list. The goal that scientists are trying to achieve is to shorten the time it takes to receive an organ by growing you a custom one inside of a host.

A pig embryo injected with human cells that grew to be four weeks old.

Pigs have similar muscles and organs that have been proven to be compatible with our biology. This link explains it simply, while this other link explains the genetic similarities in detail.

The video below demonstrates how a modified pig lung can filter human blood, alluding to the concept that these modified animal organs can exist in place of our own. Weird, I know...

In the past, human-animal chimeras have been beyond reach. Such experiments are currently ineligible for public funding in the United States (so far, the Salk team has relied on private donors for the chimera project). Public opinion, too, has hampered the creation of organisms that are part human, part animal.

An image of a pig blastocyst being injected with human cells.

But for lead study author Jun Wu of the Salk Institute, we need only look to mythical chimeras—like the human-bird hybrids we know as angels—for a different perspective.

“In ancient civilizations, chimeras were associated with God,” he says, and our ancestors thought “the chimeric form can guard humans.” In a sense, that’s what the team hopes human-animal hybrids will one day do.

I know that if I took the time to make a proper thread by filling it with cool pictures and video with commentary, this would be posted before I finished. Here is the microwave dinner version, which has apparently become the new standard around here. Regurgitated fast food.

edit on 26-1-2017 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
The goal that scientists are trying to achieve is to shorten the time it takes to receive an organ by growing you a custom one inside of a host.

I'm sure that is a goal for many scientists. But this stuff here sounds more like mad scientists saying stuff to rationalize / justify their mad science. Like every time they do anything to do with crazy human cyborg stuff they claim its all about helping so and so when half the time they have other agendas (for those not exactly needing in "help" that is).

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
So how long would it take?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is kind of a creepy step.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Illumimasontruth because: Removed insensitive Muslim comment.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

This isn't the first!....not true.

I 've seen plenty of pig/human hybrids.

Roaming the corridors of Wal-Mart and waiting in the drive-thru at Mac Donalds!!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Pork is People!!! Pork is people!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Up Next .........Bird Pigs

edit on 26-1-2017 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It's a pig man, Jerry!

Seriously. Why?
soooo disturbed ...

No thanks, doc. I refuse to prolong my life with pig-hybrid harvested parts.

edit on 26-1-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: grubblesnert

Give it ten years, and McDonalds will be selling human pig burgers.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Need to add bear to it, then it can haunt Al Gore.

But really, why not just clone humans for parts?

link   
a reply to: makemap

Ha!

And how didn't I promptly think of this:

The Island of Dr. Moreau

edit on 26-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

My older sister has had three open-heart surgeries and finally ended up with a baboon heart valve. She is alive because of it today. The military is a huge proponent of this science, hoping to one day "bio-repair" those that have been wounded. Regardless, anything that can be used against us probably will be at some point, so let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Fear can stifle innovation as much as it can protect us from what we aren't yet mature enough to play with. Baby steps...

edit on 26-1-2017 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

link   
The legend of pigman king of bacon begins .

link   

Personally, I don't like where this is going or could potentially go.

Liver transplants for example, recipients are known to take on the last hosts attributes such as specific tastes, likes dislikes etc.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

Liver transplants for example, recipients are known to take on the last hosts attributes such as specific tastes, likes dislikes etc.

Worried someone is going to start playing in mud and digging for truffles?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Like who, you? Nah I highly doubt that's gonna happen to ya right?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

Well growing human-like organs in ...*shudders*... pig hosts is one thing.

How are they going to keep peoples' bodies from rejecting them? It's already hard enough to get transplants from other humans.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll look back on this one day and know all the answers, scientific and ethical. But for today I shall judge it @%$#ing bizarre!

edit on 26-1-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Scientists are like naive kids somethings, which is insane because you'd think with the mental capacity they utilize that their deductive reasoning would lead them to believe that no matter what positive influence they wish to achieve via their breakthrough, a corporation or military entity will always find a way to either weaponize it or use it to control in other ways.

( Edited: This will only be used to create super babies ( if not already ), genetically altered embryos that basically become a blank slate for the parents to super impose their wishes on. Good luck competing with them in the job market ( if you're even that lucky to be able to work )

How will people with genetic illnesses and disorders be looked at, when humanity can CHOOSE who is born? What will we lose? )

We don't seem to be in the reality where humans respect nature, humanity or life in any measure.

Living longer is kinda a immature concept, what point does it serve than to be selfish?

It's like an artist only painting one piece and just working on it, boring and a waste of time, if we were meant to live longer, we just would,

why attempt to mess up a plan you don't even have all the details to?

I'm not even religious, just spiritual, but to live even past 100 would seem too long, there's a whole multiverse out there afterall.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2017 by Tranceopticalinclined because: reality was added

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'm not worried about it for my lifetime, but there is no doubt science will destroy the human race in the future. At some point we will create something we can't control, and then it will be all over for us. I'm not religious, but maybe "God" didn't want to give humans the "knowledge" that the serpent did for a reason, because he knew what we would do with it, destroy ourselves.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Is it possible to use this new technology to clone a mate for Michael Moore....same species.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join