It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Dimensions???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Have there ever been any attempts at finding a fourth dimension. One outside od space and time. If so I would like to know, and I also want to know your opinions on the subject.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Time is the 4th dimension actualy.

As for dimensions, according to Strings or M-Theory, there are 11 dimensions.

Alternate universes in Strings or M-theory would be infinite.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
To my knowledge there have not been physical tests.
There are dimensions 1-12 and then it skips to the 26th dimension.
We percieve/live in 3spatial dimensions and one temporal dimension, in theory there is a second temporal dimension.

I believe that higher dimensions exist.

J_3

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
How is time defined as the 4th dimension? I have heard this many times. I have my own theories about this and would like to know how exactly the time was given the title as the 4th dimension.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
J_3,
The reason most people believe that the fourth dimension is time is because we have two dimensional categorys and four dimensions, most people dont know we have two dimensional categories, Spatial and temporal.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I couldnt begin with explaining the fourth dimention.
Web site explaination of the first 4 dimentions

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I personally have a problem with the word "dimension" rather I think the universe is composed of infinite quantum levels, and each level corresponds to a plane of existence, with it's own qualities, one of them being time. I also think that everyone of of us has our own quantum level, our unique quantum signature and hence our own qualities and time.

However, there are discreet energy levels of matter, each level seperated from the other by a crucial amount which form the physical planes of existence and they are probably finite, because the physical universe itself is finite. We all share this quantum level and hence perceive the same reality, even though individually, we have our unique quantum signature.

To illustrate, suppose there are 5 dimensions, or 5 energy levels of the physical universe seperated by 5 quanta units. And there are 5 people in each dimension, each with their own unique quanta level. This is how we would represent them.

1.0 - 1st Dimension
2.0- 2nd Dimension
3.0 - 3rd Dimension
4.0 - 4th Dimension
5.0 - 5th dimension

Now to represent infinite life forms in the universe using the above model we simply increase the string of each sub-level to infinity. So, while you are 1.1, someone else could be 1.14545484869822395573. This is why they would share the same dimension. It's as if we all have our own natural IP address in the universe. I hope I explained this well enough.

[edit on 30-1-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses guy's. I will look into those theories and see what I come up with.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yes, there are 11 dimensions. 4 we can use, up/down, left/right, forward/backward, time, blus 6 or so on the atomic level

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   

To my knowledge there have not been physical tests.
There are dimensions 1-12 and then it skips to the 26th dimension.
We percieve/live in 3spatial dimensions and one temporal dimension, in theory there is a second temporal dimension.

I believe that higher dimensions exist.

Gwarg, no.

Sorry, but, just, no.

As said in the very first post, according to String/M-Theory, there are 11. There was a battle before, about 26, 26, 25, 25, 11, or 10 - and 11 won.

Besides, if there were 1-11 and another, it wouldn't be 'The 26th' - it would be 'The 12th'. They don't just give arbitrary numbers, they started at 1 and counted up.

If you're still learning, that's fine, but don't tell people something if you don't know for sure - just let them know it's something you've heard, or are just pretty sure on.

And the others are theorised to be far below the quantum level, curled into each finite 'position of space' - though there's several theories supposing that the dimensions aren't so much to small to detect, but too large.

It's all interesting and very good stuff to learn about. With enough cosmologists, we might get some big answers - but Quantum Physics is the place to be if you want to get rich!

Really, Quantum Revolution II - next 30 years, alongside the Space Revolution, it's alll coming down and the billionaire trends and Bill Gates' of the next century are just about to come into play. Come on Boson-Higgs!

[edit on 31-1-2005 by Viendin]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I would say 10 dimensions to form hyperspace, time itself is present in every dimension, because it is not a dimension, it is a quality of a dimension. However, that is only for physical matter. I think after we ascend the physical universe the non-physical dimensions begin. There is only 4% of matter in the universe, compared to 96% of dark matter, well, according to some theories.

However, it could also be that the matter that comprises our universe has 10 dimensions, after that, there are other forms of undiscovered physical matter and so on.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Viendin,
I know for sure what I said is true because I learned (not a word) it from the NOVA program "The elegant universe", which was hosted by a very well educated scientist who sepecialized in string theory, the show was based on a book he wrote.
Also I dont mean we count the dimensions 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,26
The thirteenth dimnesion is a 26 dimensional place.

[edit on 1/31/2005 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
dimensions is tough, first time is not one of them, time exsists on all dimensions and is a measurement.

second it is nearly imposible for us to understand what a forth-whatever dimension would be

example... playing pac-man has it ever cross your mind to let pac-man jump out of the little map he is on? no it hasn't cause everything about the game is contained right there. everything about us is contained within 3-dimensions and for us to imagine, much less define, a 4th or more is nearly imposible.

i read a great explanation of it once though that you can fold a previous dimention on the next
example being you can fold/wind a string within 2-dimensions, you can fold a piece of paper in half or anything other shape within 3-dimensions, so theoretically you could fold a 3-d object within a 4th dimension and so on

this is also kinda the theory behind wormholes in space and whatnot...

very interesting complex stuff that i personally really don't think the human mind can much understand at this point.

top topics

join