It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is Setting the New Standard for a U.S. President

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: Logarock

Yes, Canada is in North America and will be the primary economic beneficiary of the pipeline, which a Canadian firm is building. Assuming Trudeau's liberal government allows them to keep exploiting the tar sands, the increased petroleum will drive prices down, making coal less competitive than ever.

What do you mean less competitive than ever?

edit on 27/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

2009 stats. How cute.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

2009 stats. How cute.

Even cuter when you consider the price of oil and coal now compared to 2009.

www.tradingeconomics.com...

www.tradingeconomics.com...

2009 is actually quite representative and it's clear that coal is still very efficient and would still be even if the price of oil dropped dramatically (which is not going to happen because of the pipeline)

Your theory regarding the pipeline has no merit.

Here is another good source for you:
environment-ecology.com...

How cute is that...

edit on 27/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: redhorse

Heh, yeah, and then there was "Hope and Change", right?

We see how all that worked out!

Decent deflection but ok I'll play. I'm not a fan of Obama, and well it didn't work out, you're absolutely right, but putting your hope in this lunatic who has promised change is even more foolish. Things will change alright, but you won't like it in the end, not one bit.

I know you don't believe me, none of Trump's supporters do; heck, even those who don't like him think I'm way off base. I'm shouting into the storm, and it will take years for people to figure out which way the wind is really blowing, in large part because they are deluding themselves in much the same way that people deluded themselves about Obama. Only now it's even worse, like Richter scale orders of magnitude worse.

President Trump is stubborn, tenacious, aggressive and has a predators uncanny instinct for the vulnerable, for the soft, weak or injured. This is how he got elected.; he saw a majority population that for the last three decades has been crapped on and ignored and simply said "I hear you and I am strong enough to help you". So simple and obvious. I can see the appeal, and if channeled in service to the people, all of this this could be a good thing, but the only person Trump is serving is himself.

He is lying to the desperate, telling them (us really, I'm in that working class white demographic that he's exploiting), what we want to hear. And make no mistake, I like a lot of what he's said and so far, at least some of what he's done, even if how he's done it makes me nervous. I also know it is a placation, a seduction even, of the public, of that powerful yet ignored demographic that put him in power. In the end though, he is ruled by ego more than any other force. The man will not let go of power willingly. He doesn't give a sh**t about anyone that doesn't validate his ego, and when that white, working class demographic ceases to be useful or validating to him (and it is "when" not "if") we'll see how much we really matter to him. You watch what happens, this won't go the way that you think it will.

I knew the polls were wrong, I knew he would be president, and most of all, I know what he is. I also know that no one is going to listen to me, because they never do, mostly because I'm telling them what they don't want to hear. For the record, I really, REALLY hope that I'm wrong, but the longer I watch him the more I am convinced this is worst case scenario.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Im going to give you a star because maybe if you're right and you know what he is and yet no one listened to you, I hope the term "red horse" will come to designate a political figure elected through villainous deceit and corrupted by ego.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Trump basically ran as a Conservative Democrat who hijacked the Republican Party (weakened, and in chaos, by their own incompetence and corruption). For those who don't remember, there used to be Democrats who were very conservative(like Joe Biden used to be before he sold out). If Trump keeps his promises, he will get re-elected. I am confident he will keep his promises, because after 8 years he wants to pave the way for his successor, the First Female President of the United States; Ivanka Trump. Watch, it will happen. And the left will whine, complain, and grovel, for the next 16 years.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Of course your figures overlook incidental costs like transportation and storage, as well as hidden costs like pollution and waste disposal. Even if Trump scraps the EPA altogether, local laws will shut coal fired plants down.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Of course your figures overlook incidental costs like transportation and storage, as well as hidden costs like pollution and waste disposal. Even if Trump scraps the EPA altogether, local laws will shut coal fired plants down.

I guess the main, and very cute, point is that the pipeline will not make coal "less competitive than ever", mainly because it has not ever really been uncompetitive. It's an extremely cheap form of energy. The only reason it is under attack is due to environmental issues, unrelated to any point about the pipeline.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

I guess the main, and very cute, point is that the pipeline will not make coal "less competitive than ever", mainly because it has not ever really been uncompetitive. It's an extremely cheap form of energy. The only reason it is under attack is due to environmental issues, unrelated to any point about the pipeline.

Your coyness is unbecoming. Costs are costs. Cleaning up the fly ash needs to be figured into the bottom line. A lump of coal is inexpensive. Moving and storing it adds to the cost. If the exhaust is not scrubbed, it can cause acid rain, which damages crops and property. That cost also enters in to its bottom line. Coal is being replaced because it is a Nineteenth Century technology that can no longer compete economically. Is London planning on going back to gaslight now that natural gas has become less expensive? No. They're turning the gas works into an art center. The Germans have already turned the coal mines of the Ruhr Valley into museums.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Your coyness is unbecoming. Costs are costs. Cleaning up the fly ash needs to be figured into the bottom line. A lump of coal is inexpensive. Moving and storing it adds to the cost. If the exhaust is not scrubbed, it can cause acid rain, which damages crops and property. That cost also enters in to its bottom line. Coal is being replaced because it is a Nineteenth Century technology that can no longer compete economically. Is London planning on going back to gaslight now that natural gas has become less expensive? No. They're turning the gas works into an art center. The Germans have already turned the coal mines of the Ruhr Valley into museums.

No coyness required. Your point was nonsense. The pipeline is not going to make coal 'less competitive than ever'.
Coal is not being replaced because of economic reasons. It is being replaced for environmental reasons. These environmental issues will be exactly the same in relation to coal regardless of the pipeline.

Even then, coal remains a major source for energy production the USA.

In terms of electricity generation/consumption it is still by far the number one source:

Note that 91% of coal production is used for electricity generation by electric power plants , whilst only 1% of Petroleum is. That point alone should help you understand why changing the transportation method of oil from road and rail to a pipeline is not going to affect coal. Like I said, your point was nonsense.

Face it, you were reaching for a reason to not like the pipeline being back on the table (because Trump did it), and you made something up without properly researching it.
Entrenching yourself in your lie/mistake just makes you sound stupid.
edit on 28/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Environmental costs are economic. Personally, I think the pipeline is great for Canada.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Trump is Trump. He's slumlord evictor and corporate raider. This is your president.

Donald Trump was a nightmare landlord in the 1980s

To succeed, Trump played rough, according to lawsuits filed by the tenants. Renters said he cut heat and hot water, and he imposed tough building rules. Trump even proposed sheltering homeless people in the building.

money.cnn.com...

He proposed to shelter homeless people!? omg.

40 years ago hillary clinton was "a proud goldwater girl" practically making her a KKK member and in support of stopping the civil rights bill. And with very public support for them and a KKK leader as her mentor for decades after the goldwater group.

Yet you were defending her tooth and nail today.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Environmental costs are economic. Personally, I think the pipeline is great for Canada.

They are, but irrelevant to your failed argument that the pipeline would make coal "less competitive than ever".

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

They are, but irrelevant to your failed argument that the pipeline would make coal "less competitive than ever".

Does the pipeline make coal more competitive?

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I bet coal miners could transition to construction quite easily. Now if they would do that trillion dollar infrastructure across the nation, we might get somewhere. How are people going to afford the new replaced capitalist health insurance industry without good paying jobs. But, I guess we gotta pay for a wall first, give tax breaks to the rich, and more war. Trumpets lied to all of us.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Are you still trying to prop up your failed point?
Do you mean 'more competitive' or 'more competitive than ever'?

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I dont see the point you are trying to make there. Industries rise and fall all the time because other industries rise and fall. If the oil industry rises the entire country will be less Dependant of other countries and creates job openings. Some lose a job most exchange it for another and other who did not have a job will gain one because of it.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Do you mean 'more competitive' or 'more competitive than ever'?

Why can't you answer a simple yes or no question? Are you afraid of the answer? Anything that makes petroleum less expensive make it more competitive. It is safe to assume that the Canadian firm wants to build their pipeline because it will reduce their delivery costs, making it a more competitive product. Since competition is about comparing relative qualities, if petroleum is more competitive, coal is correspondingly less competitive. Please stop counting on name calling to win an argument. You are not the President of the United States.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

I agree. Coal has been on its last legs for a while. Trump lied to coal miners to win their votes.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

a reply to: everyone

I agree. Coal has been on its last legs for a while. Trump lied to coal miners to win their votes.

I do not think he lied, he just gave them state of now. No one needs to tell coal mine workers or management, that the days of coal are nearly over. They know it very well, as they certainly are not stupid. They would like some protection for themselves and families so that they can bridge the gaps with opportunities and financial incentives.

If you can nip something in the bud, especially as huge as this could get, and workers realizing that new skill sets can be obtained with help.. A lot less unemployment and businesses saved by effectively switching gears.

edit on 28-1-2017 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join