It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Watch 2017

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I saw that, I thought, how queer! We have this image of a brutal inhumane dictator yet here he is talking about a beautiful world!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Trump may mull naval blockade, no-fly zone against N. Korea: expert

SEOUL, May 23 (Yonhap) -- The Donald Trump administration may push for naval blockades or the imposition of a "no-fly" zone against North Korea should it succeed in developing an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), an expert here said Tuesday.

click link for article

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
a reply to: carewemust

I saw that, I thought, how queer! We have this image of a brutal inhumane dictator yet here he is talking about a beautiful world!

Yes..it's queer, but some of the craziest dictators can kill thousands, but still appreciate aspects of the world. Hitler relaxed by painting scenes of streets and buildings.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

North Korea must be a serious force, if President Trump is reluctant to attack their launch sites. Still, don't blockades and sanctions hurt the people of a country far more than the leaders of said country?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Xcathdra

North Korea must be a serious force, if President Trump is reluctant to attack their launch sites. Still, don't blockades and sanctions hurt the people of a country far more than the leaders of said country?

Even without sanctions that would be the case in N. Korea (and is the case).

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

SEOUL, May 24 (Yonhap) -- A day after firing dozens of rounds at a flying object crossing the border from North Korea, South Korea's military said Wednesday it was apparently a balloon carrying propaganda leaflets.

NK sent balloons over to SK

Quite amusing actually, my imagination saw a bunch of normal party balloons with ribbons and little packages of propaganda stuck to them. It is almost like little childish spats in the playground, taunts to elicit a response.

Apparently it was 10 balloons and 90 machine gun rounds gave them a good talking to!

rip

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

George Friedman, a U.S. geopolitical analyst, has claimed that Washington is preparing to attack North Korea. Speaking at the 2017 Strategic Investment Conference in Orlando, Monday, he said the Kim Jong-un regime's actions have "offered the U.S. no alternative" to a clash, according to Business Insider, a U.S. business news website.

US Analyst says Washington's Attack on NK imminent

George Friedman stated that any attack wouldn't happen until when Trump gets back to US.

Just thought I would pop this here. See if he's right on the money.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well Trump's foreign trip hasn't brought them much attention and then the attack in Manchester has stolen their thunder. I would expect something provocative from them shortly. They are serious attention whores.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
North Korea reckons that SK fired their shots at a group of birds, not balloons. They say SK are being hysterical.
NK says SK shot birds

Meanwhile the Trump administration has approved a 4 point diplomatic plan which appears to rule out military action against NK.
Trump Administration Approves 4 point plan

By all means, every option other than military action is much more welcome IMHO. However I don't see it's going to work too well.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

North Korea reckons that SK fired their shots at a group of birds, not balloons. They say SK are being hysterical.
NK says SK shot birds

Meanwhile the Trump administration has approved a 4 point diplomatic plan which appears to rule out military action against NK.
Trump Administration Approves 4 point plan

By all means, every option other than military action is much more welcome IMHO. However I don't see it's going to work too well.

A diplomatic solution is the only real answer here. A military strike is going to call for too many body bags.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

I would say all it does is rule out military action at this point. Nothing is set in stone. Plans change.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

George Friedman, a U.S. geopolitical analyst, has claimed that Washington is preparing to attack North Korea. Speaking at the 2017 Strategic Investment Conference in Orlando, Monday, he said the Kim Jong-un regime's actions have "offered the U.S. no alternative" to a clash, according to Business Insider, a U.S. business news website.

US Analyst says Washington's Attack on NK imminent

George Friedman stated that any attack wouldn't happen until when Trump gets back to US.

Just thought I would pop this here. See if he's right on the money.

I just don't see it happening yet. My thought is they will continue sanctions, increasing them as much as possible for now. The tipping point my occur if Kim indeed tests a nuclear weapon for the sixth time. My thought is that might be the line, maybe not? I still think it's noteworthy that they haven't done that yet. Also interesting that their last missile test was kept nearer the coast and not across the Sea of Japan, if I read my map correctly.

Either way, Kim needs to escalate further before I think a military action is imminent. The U.S. needs to show that they have tried everything else first as well. There doesn't need to be, but it would also be prudent for strong international support for military action, more than is present now.

Then there is the question of all of that NK artillery pointed toward Seoul. It's not Kim's nuclear weapons that are keeping NK from being attacked at this point... it's that artillery imho, and probably to a lesser extent the short and medium range missiles. Those are already capable of being loaded with nasty stuff that we already know the NK regime possesses.

Personally, I'm hoping for some sort of internal regime change, possibly facilitated by China or the U.S. No clue if this is possible, as we're not privy to the internal politics and any possible covert ops that are occurring there. I'd wager that it's much more challenging than other more open societies where that has occurred before though. By all accounts, Kim is pretty paranoid. Getting someone into his inner circle or turning someone already there would be more difficult than nearly anywhere else imho. You'd need a person(s) pretty high in the power structure to have a chance for success. The amount of fear that must be prevalent has to be thick enough to cut with a knife. Executing and imprisoning people on a regular basis can do that.

The other way of regime change is the ever popular citizen uprising. I'm sure everyone there isn't "brainwashed". Many tow the party line to get along in life and out of fear. Surely some are truly indoctrinated however. What are the percentages either way? Who knows. I bet western intel agencies can't say with any certainty. But this route is a moot point anyway. The NK people don't have the means currently to stand up and make a move in that direction. There are no signs of that building or actually ever occurring in the history of the country as far as I know. Ten years down the road maybe...as they learn more from the outside.

So here's hoping that Kim keeps it reasonably throttled back with the outbursts, and that China or the U.S or someone else has or is moving people in position on the inside. It might be a long shot? But it's at least a better option to a shooting war. Because NK isn't giving up it's research. The U.S. (and possibly others) aren't going to let him continue it long term.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I don't think that, short of a miracle from the Lord, that this will be resolved peacefully. The conflict has gone on long enough and there's no way that Lil' Kim will back down. He strikes me as the type of despot who would take everyone down with him if backed into a corner.

I found a link on Twitter to a headline which reads "Talks with Trump only possible if U.S. stops trying to “disarm us”: North Korea." I couldn't pull up the full report as one has to subscribe.

I don't think anyone should have to subscribe just for the privilege of reading an article, but that's just me. Here's the link in case anyone wants to see it. Is it a reliable source?

NK News.Org report on possible talks w/Trump

Anyway, we seem to be in a holding pattern for now. Not much has been reported on the Korean Peninsula. I don't know if that's a good thing or the "calm before the storm." This is a serious threat and as far as I can tell, the Trump Administration is continuing the "strategic patience" policies of the Obama Administration.

You know what they say......if you can't do your "business," so to speak; get off the pot!"

Btw - re. those propaganda leaflets that NK dropped the other day - does anyone know what they said?

edit on 25-5-2017 by dianajune because: forgot something

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
That's an interesting website. Haven't seen it before. Seems like a mix of propaganda from everywhere. Like you said, subscription required though. Some of the article titles smell skewed, but hard to tell since you can't actually read more than a few words.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Note, just after I posted the above a minute ago and was poking around on that website a bit clicking some articles, I received several browser warnings and Windows Defender went off and blocked some malware.

Just a word of caution.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Thanks for that! Unfortunately yeah I can't read it at this point. Even if it's skewed in one direction, it's nice to be able to see all different sides of a conflict. Whatever the party is publishing etc. Gives insight to their propaganda techniques... and their "official" side of the story. I guess I am like this with most media, because relying solely on one or two publications for information doesn't make up a whole picture because of bias and whatnot.

Here's a bit of an article from the KCNA recently:

Pyongyang, May 26 (KCNA) -- Radio Sputnik of Russia and other foreign media are having a field day, commenting that America is surely going downhill.

Claiming the U.S. refrains from a foolhardy provocation out of its calculation that it might face an indescribably terrible disaster although it is bluffing after bringing its nuclear strategic assets to the waters off the Korean peninsula, they termed it a clear proof of the final phase of America's decline.

As commented by foreign media, the U.S. military threat to DPRK and sanctions against it, the most outrageous and malignant of their kinds, are no more than a last-ditch effort of the one whose doom is imminent, Rodong Sinmun today says in a commentary.

Final Victory in Store for DPRK: Rodong Sinmun

The Rodong Sinmun is the offical newspaper of the NK communist party - they were the ones quoted in the newspaper article you posted above (from the first few sentences we could read) so I think it could be related to that. This article goes on to say how the US has already "sealed it's fate" and the destruction of the US is a "matter of time."

I agree with you too. Not everyone there is going to be brainwashed. You only have to look back to the days of the USSR with many doing what they had out of fear for their own and their loved ones safety. For some it's probably all they've ever known. A regime change will never happen unless there's reunification. And I don't think in my opinion there will be reunification without war and revolution. What will help is if the NK citizens rise up, putting their own lives at risk, and their army. But thousands, hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions will die.

A lot of people reckon there's no way NK could win a war of cause serious damage because of lack of nukes or soviet era military hardware, but they couldn't be more wrong.

At this point we could say it's up to Russia and China to step in - Russia won't unless their borders are threatened and I would say it's the same for China too.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sagacity
Note, just after I posted the above a minute ago and was poking around on that website a bit clicking some articles, I received several browser warnings and Windows Defender went off and blocked some malware.

Just a word of caution.

Thanks for the heads up on the link!

I just tried to edit the post so the link could be removed. Didn't know there was a time limit for edits!

edit on 26-5-2017 by dianajune because: typo

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

a reply to: dianajune

Thanks for that! Unfortunately yeah I can't read it at this point. Even if it's skewed in one direction, it's nice to be able to see all different sides of a conflict. Whatever the party is publishing etc. Gives insight to their propaganda techniques... and their "official" side of the story. I guess I am like this with most media, because relying solely on one or two publications for information doesn't make up a whole picture because of bias and whatnot.

Here's a bit of an article from the KCNA recently:

Pyongyang, May 26 (KCNA) -- Radio Sputnik of Russia and other foreign media are having a field day, commenting that America is surely going downhill.

Claiming the U.S. refrains from a foolhardy provocation out of its calculation that it might face an indescribably terrible disaster although it is bluffing after bringing its nuclear strategic assets to the waters off the Korean peninsula, they termed it a clear proof of the final phase of America's decline.

As commented by foreign media, the U.S. military threat to DPRK and sanctions against it, the most outrageous and malignant of their kinds, are no more than a last-ditch effort of the one whose doom is imminent, Rodong Sinmun today says in a commentary.

Final Victory in Store for DPRK: Rodong Sinmun

The Rodong Sinmun is the offical newspaper of the NK communist party - they were the ones quoted in the newspaper article you posted above (from the first few sentences we could read) so I think it could be related to that. This article goes on to say how the US has already "sealed it's fate" and the destruction of the US is a "matter of time."

I agree with you too. Not everyone there is going to be brainwashed. You only have to look back to the days of the USSR with many doing what they had out of fear for their own and their loved ones safety. For some it's probably all they've ever known. A regime change will never happen unless there's reunification. And I don't think in my opinion there will be reunification without war and revolution. What will help is if the NK citizens rise up, putting their own lives at risk, and their army. But thousands, hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions will die.

A lot of people reckon there's no way NK could win a war of cause serious damage because of lack of nukes or soviet era military hardware, but they couldn't be more wrong.

At this point we could say it's up to Russia and China to step in - Russia won't unless their borders are threatened and I would say it's the same for China too.

I agree that it's good to have more than one source re. the news because there is so much bias out there nowadays.

Funny that the article you referred to said the US was a threat to NK but it's really the other way around. I doubt that our Potus would order all of these assets to the Korean Peninsula unless he was prepared to use them. NK has stepped up its testing of various missiles. One of them has been guaranteed to be able to reach Alaska and Hawaii, not to mention SK, etc. nearby.

We seem to have been in a holding pattern for over a week and I oftentimes wonder what Pres. Trump will do.....why is it taking so long to get this resolved. One theory I read on another site claimed we're going to issue more sanctions, but if that were the case, what's up with all of these assets over there?

Sanctions won't work with Lil' Kim anyway and will just give him more time to fine-tune NK's nuke program.

Then someone else suggested the US wouldn't attack NK until our Potus returns from his overseas trip. He's in Italy for the G7 summit, which is over tomorrow.

China and Russia are already involved to some extent. Perhaps they're waiting for Trump to move.

I think things could heat up there next week.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
An article from Reuters about Kim's top guys in the missile development field:

Exclusive: Kim's rocket stars - The trio behind North Korea's missile program

I just thought it was interesting to put faces to the names and news.

Also to avoid adding a second post for this, here's a new article from AP about our plans to test ICBM interceptors. Apparently we're at around a 50% hit rate, but the last test was back in 2014. So presumably there has been some progress. I'd think they anticipate success or else they wouldn't be doing it and putting the information out there.

AP Link
edit on 26-5-2017 by Sagacity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Chill, everyone.

North Korea will be taken over by China and a Korean puppet of China will get to wear fancy suits, drink champagne with heads of state and jet set around the world.

The 'international community' (our governments, ruled by banks) will sanction this and tell us we averted a major threat to the world.

THEN, the good stuff happens. We move on to dealing with the MAJOR THREAT posed by Iran. You'll get your military action at that point but most US involvement will consist of special forces and private security firms. So, don't worry about any flag-draped coffins to sour your mood.

Peace

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join