It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Watch 2017

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   
As much as we should be wary of MSM and the like, especially these days, I guess I am concerned still at the difference in rhetoric and coverage compared to say 2016, 2013, 2011, 2007 etc

What makes a difference is what is happening in the world today, right this minute. Globally it's like a pressure cooker of conflicts and disputes, political and economic mayhem that's about to blow it's lid.

You've got the ongoing issue in Ukraine/Crimea, Syrian Civil War, ISIS and lone wolves, Brexit, Populism, Wars on drugs (mostly looking at the Phillipines at the moment), Israel/Palestine (still), Famine and war in Africa, Economic turmoil in the western countries, the south china sea disputes, the "leader of the free world" being such a decisive figure...

All these factors, and the States that are in play with their own interests and ideologies makes for an interesting yet worrisome thought each time tensions rise in the various places above. North Korea could very well be the flashpoint that blows the lid and indeed start another Global war. I'm not fear-mongering here, look at the issues in the lead up to the previous world wars.

What is unsettling (once again wary of MSM), is the increased coverage of what is happening in the Korean Peninsula.

Now, Trump apparently said USS Carl Vinson was headed to Korean waters, but we found out, yes it was true, it was delayed because of training exercises in the Indian Ocean. The THAAD missile defense system is now being installed on a golf course in southern South Korea, two weeks before a scheduled elections there. The USS Michigan docks in South Korea. North Korea keeps pushing buttons (so to speak) in the meantime.

Both sides really, are showing off, like schoolyard bullies competing about how tough they are. If they don't stop soon, especially in the next two weeks or so, trigger happiness will be a likely outcome.

Just going to post this news bit here. I am well aware this source is Fox owned and can be quite ridiculous so please take the following with a bag of salt.

NK capable of producing a nuclear bomb every 6 to 7 weeks

...according to the New York Times, the Trump administration has received a stark slap to the face as classfified intelligence reports conclude the country is “capable of producing a nuclear bomb every six or seven weeks”. According to the piece, despite the fact this accusation is “impossible to verify”, given North Korea blocked access to its facilities years ago, expert studies and information gathered from intelligence sources are enough to cause serious concern for Donald Trump and his administration, who “fear they are running out of time”.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

North Korea has usable nuclear weapons. That was never a question. Why other members here remain ignorant of that fact i can not say. Myself and other members have cited reliable sources, several from within US military and intelligence circles that can confirm that.

They also have missile technology that can reach as far west as Chicago. That is also a fact.

What the DPRK lacks is a reliable nuclear capable ICBM. This is the reason for further testing even though they have had long range missiles for some time.

The concern when it comes to North Korea's potential use of nuclear bomb is obviously targeting Seoul or Japan. Even with conventional weapons they can pretty much level Seoul within about 90 minutes from the first volley. This is also confirmed.

With all of this in mind moving THAAD into place makes sense. The reason the South Koreans are pissed off is because at no point through out these recent escalations has the White House reached out to South Korea and talked with them about whats going on... Officially that is. Whats going on in beyond the view of the media is any ones guess but with this meeting of Senators happening this afternoon and the military posturing around the peninsula you can easily predict that things can go from bad to worse at any moment. That's not an overstatement by any stretch of the imagination.

When it comes to being worried.... be worried for Seoul. No matter what happens Seoul and the American and South Korean forces located there and on the southern border of the DMZ are the ones who will feel the full force of a North Korean attack. What form it may take and how well the US is able to respond to it is yet to be determined. But no matter what the attack/response scenario turns about to be regarding who shoots first and what happens after Seoul stands to lose the most.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

Thanks for your civil response. I have been wary posting on ATS in the last year or two because of... well you have probably bore witness and/or experienced a lot of sarcasm, putdowns etc. I think it's vital though to keep civil discussion and debate alive and that we all might learn things from each other, notably cold hard facts/evidence that can't be disputed or spun off. The motto of this site is deny ignorance.

Also to add - China are concerned with the THAAD placing too.

China urges THAAD withdrawal

Seoul and Washington say the sole purpose of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system is to defend against North Korean missiles, but China is concerned the system's powerful radar could penetrate its territory and undermine its security, and has repeatedly expressed opposition to it.

"China strongly urges the United States and South Korea to stop actions that worsen regional tensions and harm China's strategic security interests and cancel the deployment of the THAAD system and withdraw the equipment," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told a briefing.

"China will resolutely take necessary steps to defend its interests," Mr Geng said, without elaborating.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Those concerns are pretty valid. The discussion last year included some attention paid to the Chinese concerns about the powerful radar system.

The radar used with a THAAD battery is the X-band AN/TPY-2. The TPY-2 radar has two configurations. It can be configured as Terminal Mode (TM) radar, in which it operates as the fire control radar for a THAAD battery. Alternatively, it can be set up as a Forward-Based Mode (FBM) radar, in which it relays tracking and discrimination data to a remote missile defense system, such as the U.S. Ground-Based Midcourse (GMD) system. If THAAD is deployed to South Korea, The United States has stated that its TPY-2 radar would be in the shorter-range TM configuration. Since in the TM mode, the radar reportedly only has a range of 600 km, supporters of the THAAD deployment argue that while its range is adequate to cover N. Korea, it cannot look deeply into China.

Source

With this configuration from the location in Seongju the US could monitor deep into North Kore while maintaining relatively minimal penetration into China's western coastline... it may be able to see as far as Beijing, and would definitely cover Shandong, Jiangsu, Shanghai, the Yellow Sea and part of the East China Sea.
edit on 26-4-2017 by AnonyMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Just ignore the rude people, they don't seem to have a clue about being polite.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

North Korea has been showing off its latest range of ballistic missiles by launching them into the Sea of Japan and parading them around. The missiles appear to be getting more advanced — and that has a lot of people wondering how far these missiles can go.

(map showing missile range)

Take, for example, the longest-range missile, or the Taepodong-2, which could supposedly put most of the US in danger. It’s an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile, or ICBM, that the US and Soviet Union built thousands of and used to threaten each other during the Cold War. North Korea has been working on its own version of the Taepodong-2 for a while, but it doesn’t really work yet.

A working ICBM, which is made up of four missiles stacked on top of each other, can push a nuclear warhead into space before it re-enters the atmosphere over a target. This allows for a range of around 15,000 km and it’s the only way North Korea could attempt to deliver a nuclear bomb to the US.

Vox.com - The North Korean nuclear threat, explained.

That is what DPRK is working on doing: get a working ICBM. Each test fire is another "lessons learned" and another step towards making one work. Then it will not be the local neighborhood that is threatened. Especially when North Korea has created images of Washington D.C. burning.

KJU is playing a very dangerous game by launching even test missiles.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Friday, April 28, 2017

""North Korea carried out another banned ballistic missile test on Friday, U.S. officials confirmed to NBC News, but the missile exploded just after launch.

"The launch was unsuccessful and exploded in midair," a South Korean military official told NBC News. South Korea is "totally ready to meet any and all kinds of provocation," the official added.

Two U.S. officials said the missile was short-range, capable of reaching the South Korean capital of Seoul, but not Japan. U.S. Pacific Command said the missile was launched at 5:33 a.m. Saturday Seoul time (4:33 p.m. Friday ET) from near Pukchang airfield, and the missile did not leave North Korean territory.""

SOURCE: www.nbcnews.com...

I think the USA is destroying these missiles. White House officials are saying that they were not "surprised" by the launch, OR by the failure. Way to goooo USA!

edit on 4/28/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

'Twas a scud missile not an ICBM.

And I was wondering the same thing. But I think it it is old material from the former USSR. But it is cool to dream!

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

Your assertion that the US has kept S. Korea out of the loop is wrong. The US has been in constant discussion with both S. Korea and Japan about whats going on. Trump also stated that certain actions would require the S. Korean government to sign off on before implementing.

I am not sure why people keep ignoring those facts.
edit on 28-4-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I wonder if we are meant to underestimate NK after the headlines over the last couple of weeks.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Why are you guys falling for the North Korea propaganda?

News flash they aren't doing anything.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
North Korea 'tests ballistic missile' amid reports Pyongyang stating war 'imminent'

North Korea test-fired a ballistic missile in the early hours of Saturday morning, reports in South Korea said, amid rising military tensions with the US.

The missile, launched from a region north of the capital, Pyongyang, appeared to have blown up a few seconds into flight, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said.

US officials said the missile did not leave North Korean territory and was probably a medium-range missile known as a KN-17.

click link for article...

There is also a timeline at the bottom of their nuke program and the number of times they lied in order to get aid, only to resume their program.

The reactor at Yongbyon was also restarted. Thats their facility that produces the weapons grade nuke material.
edit on 28-4-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Why are you guys falling for the North Korea propaganda?

News flash they aren't doing anything.

That's the propaganda I've been reading.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

And I was wondering the same thing. But I think it it is old material from the former USSR. But it is cool to dream!

I'm preparing to start a thread to discuss the growing evidence that the USA is hacking North Korea's missile systems.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Personally I'd be watching what's going down in Syria. When your going to pull something distraction is a good move.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

That is what DPRK is working on doing: get a working ICBM. Each test fire is another "lessons learned" and another step towards making one work.

I think it's safe to say they ain't learning diddly s# when missile after missile after missile, year after year after year keeps going kaboom in short order like this. Consider the ones that have had some barely-above-ground distance dumb luck at best. It's like me managing to not set off the smoke alarm when I cook. Cool achievement, but it doesn't mean my meal's awesomesauce.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

That is what DPRK is working on doing: get a working ICBM. Each test fire is another "lessons learned" and another step towards making one work.

I think it's safe to say they ain't learning diddly s# when missile after missile after missile, year after year after year keeps going kaboom in short order like this. Consider the ones that have had some barely-above-ground distance dumb luck at best. It's like me managing to not set off the smoke alarm when I cook. Cool achievement, but it doesn't mean my meal's awesomesauce.

Unless 'carewemust' who posted above starts a thread with evidence that the missiles in question are being sabotaged or blown up by USA and/or allied partners.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I'm preparing to start a thread to discuss the growing evidence that the USA is hacking North Korea's missile systems.

If the U.S. is hacking NK's missile systems, Lil' Kim will most likely go for an all-out war.

This keeps getting worse and worse. Imho I believe that the time for diplomacy and sanctions (which never work anyway) has ended.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
NK argues SK intrudes into sea border

"The South Korean puppet navy warships' intrusion into the territorial waters of the DPRK side in the West Sea of Korea has recently been on explosive increase," the North's state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said in an English-language report monitored in Seoul. DPRK stands for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, North Korea's official name.

The KCNA argued that 101 navy warships infiltrated the inter-Korean maritime border on 81 occasions in April, which is almost twofold tallied in March.

Well it's really getting down to a lot of "look what they did!" from both sides now.

Testing the waters so to speak.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

To me it looks like North Korea is creating their own justification for military action.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join