It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy Helicopter question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ok, thanks for answering my mind flow. I guess you answered most of my questions.

The sand to glass remark reminded me of something else..

Totally not related, but as the "Kopp-Etchells" effect also starrs a Chinook, i end this topic with my thanks to all and a nice pic
of a Chinook creating some rotar fireworks

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

supersonic is never going to happen - BAD BAD things happen to rotors at M1

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Hmm that raises another question .. would a rotating disc utilizing the coandã effect count as a rotor ?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I would just keep the overall design but add upgraded engine and rotors that have carbyne/graphene weave that utilizes centrifugal force to act a bit like a Chinese finger-cuff so that when fired up the blades can take multiple incoming rounds and shrapnel with minimal effects.

Then make the air-frame of the same carbyne graphene weave with honey comb of folded graphene sandwiched and cells filled with solid folded pressed graphene-carbyne plates.

The weight reduction making it possible to put better sensors and even a drone scout/skirmisher load out in the form of miniature A-10 with similar materials used.

That's more for kicking ass than hauling trees but hey a guy can dream.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

Yeah if you ever played project reality you can fly Apaches...I always crashed them and stuck to ground pounding but oh man you clench that bunghole when they come at you and your guys even in a pc game.

You should try it out if it is still around...or theres arma etc...real fun.
edit on 26-1-2017 by stabstab because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant

Ok.

Maybe a stupid question, but with current gyroscope technology ..

How hard would it be to make an V22 a like plane with Jet engines ?
Too me it seems overdue since the Saab and Harrier.

How hard can it be with current tech to " just " rotate the Jets , while electronics regulate the balance ?

I know the F35 has the option... but i see that hone has more tasks to forfill to be in this league.

F35B is more a STOVL, won't be able to carry much in VTOL mode.

Jet engines have high exhaust velocities, suck at low speeds and hovering. Propulsive efficiency is maximal when exhaust velocity is equal to vehicle velocity. A large rotor disk is much more efficient (displaces lots of air at low relative velocity) as long as you can keep it subsonic.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

It's both. The Osprey is neither fish, nor fowl. A tilt rotor is a useful beast though. All the advantage of a helicopter, with the speed of an aircraft. The complexity is a bad thing though, as it adds a lot of failure points.

Thought they were looking into blimps for heavy lift now for simplicity in design..

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

They are, for things they can take their time moving.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

With rotors you can tie them together so if a single engine fails you have some redundancy. With jet lift on the wingtips when one fails you are screwed.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

One of the first rules about working around helicopters is to make sure that they are grounded before you do anything if the rotors are turning.

When we did SAR jumps you let the hoist cable touch the water first. On night jumps you could see a spark jump from the hoist cable to the water.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

As a child, one of my favorite VHS tapes was a taped copy of the Nova episode on the resurgence of airships in the late 1980s. They visited Airship Industries at Cardington, had archival footage of the first Skyship 500 launch, and explored the development of the American Blimp Corporation's first airship. They even talked about the cyclocrane and the Piasecki Helistat.

I remember it ending on such an upbeat note, talking about Airship Industries' YEZ-2A program with the US Navy, and showing the GZ-22 in flight.

Then, I grew up to learn that the Cold War ended and the US Navy canned the YEZ-2A program, leaving Westinghouse Airship Industries to go belly-up, and a decade later the GZ-22 crashed into a tree and was scrapped. Such is life for the airship enthusiast.

The YEZ-2A is still probably the best, most realistic proposal for a military airship that's happened since the 1950's. Just imagine the AESA a modern upgrade of it could have swung.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join