It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican President postures, cancels Tuesday meeting with Trump

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I do believe you are looking at it in terms of good/bad and not profit/loss.

I did specify companies not moving for a reason. Keeping your job is not gaining anything. It is what you already have.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I keep hearing that argument about illegal workers keeping prices low, but I have yet to understand how that helps people who are out of work. It only benefits those who still have decent jobs, and that number is decreasing... or was, considering how many jobs Trump has either saved or made agreements to get before his first week is up.

If I make $50k/yr., I care whether that new car costs $25k or $35k. If I'm struggling at $10k/yr plus food stamps, it really just don't matter. I'm riding a rusty bicycle.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: UKTruth
Grrr, I just realised this 20% tariff was fake news. Should have known.
It was an idea floated publicly, no doubt as a threat, not a policy position (at least not yet).

In the USA it can't be done unilaterally by a POTUS....Not sure how it works in the UK where you are..

Trump wants it included in a tax reform bill..

Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary for President Donald Trump, told reporters on Thursday that the administration is pushing for a 20% border tax on Mexican imports.

"When you look at the plan that's taking shape now, using comprehensive tax reform as a means to tax imports from countries that we have a trade deficit from, like Mexico," Spicer said, according to a White House pool report.

www.businessinsider.com...

It's not even a proposal.
It was an idea that Spicer was talking about.

????

President Donald Trump has decided he will seek to pay for the wall on the US's southern border by imposing a 20% tax on imports from Mexico and as part of a larger comprehensive tax reform plan, the White House said Thursday.

www.cnn.com...

Is it your ...ahem...BS claim...That Donald trump's press secretary is just announcing stuff he thinks up on the Presidents behalf?

There is video of Spencer at that link in case you are confused.

It was a general discussion with Spicer on board Air Force One about a basket of ideas., It's not something they are committed to doing yet.
It's pretty silly to air ideas like that, granted, but it isn't even close to being a confirmed in the tax plan.
edit on 26/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

That dynamic changes the moment your job is filled by a foreign worker because he lives close to the plant and you don't.

Do you really think we have full employment in the US?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Why are people slagging off the Mexican president for cancelling, Trump said if you don't want to pay for the wall, don't come. What did people expect him to do???

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I keep hearing that argument about illegal workers keeping prices low, but I have yet to understand how that helps people who are out of work. It only benefits those who still have decent jobs, and that number is decreasing... or was, considering how many jobs Trump has either saved or made agreements to get before his first week is up.

If I make $50k/yr., I care whether that new car costs $25k or $35k. If I'm struggling at $10k/yr plus food stamps, it really just don't matter. I'm riding a rusty bicycle.

TheRedneck

Correct..

But the jobs that Illegals are occupying in the USA are jobs US Citizens refuse to do.

So what you are left with is..Much, much higher prices for a tomato or apple...while still having only pennies in your pocket.

Georgia was the classic example..They cracked down on Illegal Immigration during the economic crisis..Despite having record unemployment, they couldn't get Americans to harvest crops and it sent the entire state economy into a tailspin..with MORE jobs being lost in transportation and agriculture as farms and crops failed.

Ironically the very GOP in Georgia that cheered the crackdown were the ones to race to repeal their own laws.

Trump wants to try it on a national scale.

Georgia's Harsh Immigration Law Costs Millions in Unharvested Crops
www.theatlantic.com...

Ga. immigrant crackdown backfires
www.politico.com...

The Law Of Unintended Consequences: Georgia's Immigration Law Backfires
www.forbes.com...

Cheap labor...Cheap goods...are GOOD for the US Economy...it feeds more jobs vs. steal them.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

They went there for both.

Business cares about the bottom line. Labor costs, regulatory cost, taxation, makes no difference. They all effect the bottom line, including productivity. We raised all of these costs and lost our jobs. Now, to get them back, we have to lower some of them, or place ourselves on a level playing field internationally by raising them in other countries. That's what a tariff does.

The wall keeps labor prices higher by limiting illegal labor, yes, but that business cost benefits the US economy.

The Redneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

That dynamic changes the moment your job is filled by a foreign worker because he lives close to the plant and you don't.

Of course but if the company stays near you, you don't gain anything.

Also, if a company decides to stay away and pay the tariff, you still don't gain anything.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Business cares about the bottom line. Labor costs, regulatory cost,

I know you to be sharp...be honest here...

Every part imported to the USA has to meet the USA's strict regulatory regimen.
If you mean "regulations" around labor...yes. Which falls under labor cost.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

He means although the raw cash trade deficit with mexico is -60B (or slightly less)...we also have a unique "Production Sharing" agreement within NAFTA with Mexico that returns 40 cents on the dollar to US consumers.

Interesting.

Can you prove that 40% thing actually exists?

Or is it some wild assumption or twisted interpretation ?

Oh and show us some government reports too.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
Why are people slagging off the Mexican president for cancelling, Trump said if you don't want to pay for the wall, don't come. What did people expect him to do???

Trump's "art of the deal" is a tonnage of blather that in every scenario that profited him rests on the "art" of exploiting bankruptcy laws to abscond with investor funds.

It does not bode well for the USA..as the taxpayer is the investor.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

He means although the raw cash trade deficit with mexico is -60B (or slightly less)...we also have a unique "Production Sharing" agreement within NAFTA with Mexico that returns 40 cents on the dollar to US consumers.

Interesting.

Can you prove that 40% thing actually exists?

You can start here (at the right leaning "The Hill") and google for yourself from there..

No, Mr. Trump, Mexico is not 'killing us on trade'

Here is something that Mr. Trump apparently does not know: U.S.-Mexico trade is unique in the world; there is a "production sharing" program between Mexico and the United States in which, according to the Wilson Center's Mexico Institute, "A full 40 [percent] of the content of U.S. imports from Mexico is actually produced in the United States. ...

This means that forty cents of every dollar spent on imports from Mexico comes back to the United States, a quantity ten times greater that the four cents returning for each dollar paid on Chinese imports."

thehill.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The wall keeps labor prices higher by limiting illegal labor, yes, but that business cost benefits the US economy.

The Redneck

Incorrect...Frankly the wall does nothing...

But if the wall did what it's supporters intended...it would increase unemployment as industries that only survive by way of cheap labor shrivel and die, taking all tertiary employment and economic income with them.

Build a wall (that actually works) and every tomatoe you buy from then on is twice the price and grown in Mexico..

And don't get me started on "Food Security"..the idea that we should kill the farming industry in the USA and rely on imports for our food supply is insane...and Pentagon reports have said the same..Its a security risk.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

But the jobs that Illegals are occupying in the USA are jobs US Citizens refuse to do.

That statement contains so much bull-hockey that it's going to make my display smell like manure for two weeks.

Illegal workers get those jobs because they won't report illegal practices... safety issues, working conditions, environmental violations to name a few. Compliance with regulations costs tremendously. Are you willing to let companies dump hazardous waste or work employees without even a lunch break for 12 hours straight so you can save a couple bucks at the store?

Ironically, it seems to be the same people who cry about pollution and human rights who also support the very system that allows it.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Business cares about the bottom line. Labor costs, regulatory cost,

I know you to be sharp...be honest here...

Every part imported to the USA has to meet the USA's strict regulatory regimen.
If you mean "regulations" around labor...yes. Which falls under labor cost.

Absolutely, and that is the true difference in the labor costs... not the actual paychecks.

I have heard about lettuce growers in California offering $30/hr for workers and complaining that Americans won't take the job... but they'll work at Taco Bell for minimum wage? Something's not right there.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: xstealth

There will be no wall. Trump is using it as a bargaining tool.

Trump understands construction costs, especially one that doesn't bring in money and is a liability.

Do yourselves a favor, stop arguing over something that will never happen.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

The Redneck

Incorrect...Frankly the wall does nothing...

But if the wall did what it's supporters intended...it would increase unemployment as industries that only survive by way of cheap labor shrivel and die, taking all tertiary employment and economic income with them.

Build a wall (that actually works) and every tomatoe you buy from then on is twice the price and grown in Mexico..

And don't get me started on "Food Security"..the idea that we should kill the farming industry in the USA and rely on imports for our food supply is insane...and Pentagon reports have said the same..Its a security risk.

How does building a wall limit cheaper labour?
Why could Mexicans not come in legally to do those jobs as required?
Why are you equating legal status with the fulfilment of necessary jobs?
I assume you are not in favour of wages so low as to be below the minimum wage and therefore require illegals to carry out the jobs?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Unless someone else grows it.

You seem to forget the big picture here. For over 200 years, the US was a net exporter and had a vibrant, thriving economy. Now we are a net importer and can't seem to recover from a recession. What, that's coincidence? Or maybe you think we can't do it anymore?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I know it is a big ask..But I promise it is informative and entertaining..

Watch this...Please...Its not political..then let me know thoughts.

I wouldn't ask if I didn't peg you as a thinker..

www.vice.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Unless someone else grows it.

growing it is not an issue..Harvesting it is.

Population growth is a real thing. It isn't family farms feeding the village anymore.

tell me you are going to watch my link?
edit on 26-1-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join