It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican President postures, cancels Tuesday meeting with Trump

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Nieto just cost his country a lot of money, just because he got upset about a wall.
Shame.

Maybe not. Maybe he called the bluff.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Grrr, I just realised this 20% tariff was fake news. Should have known.
It was an idea floated publicly, no doubt as a threat, not a policy position (at least not yet).
edit on 26/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
If anyone asks me, I personally think this is kinda funny.

The US has been supporting the Mexican economy for decades. Workers come here, work at jobs Americans won't do in a good economy, and wire the money back to Mexico. There it is spent on supplies and benefits Mexican businesses. I actually have no issue with that... but...

This is not a good economy, and today Mexicans are crossing illegally, supplementing low wages with government entitlements, and taking jobs we need. This is no longer a benevolent neighbor relationship, but a thieving relationship. At the same time, regulatory overreach and government corruption have caused many jobs to move to Mexico. Back when, the relationship was symbiotic; Mexico gained income for its citizens and the US got the benefit of lower production prices. Now the relationship is predatory; America loses jobs and capital, while Mexico gains them.

Trump made a promise to get the border under control. Now he's keeping that promise.

Mexico will pay for the wall. They may not write a check, but they will pay in the drastic reduction of capital and jobs no longer flowing across the border and the reduction of money being sent home. Trump gave Nieto a chance to do things the easy way, and might give him another one, but we will no longer lay there passively like a sow feeding her piglets. Had Nieto met with Trump, I feel sure Trump was prepared to offer him something to help Mexico in return for his lack of opposition. Now, Trump will just move forward without him.

Mexico can not stop the wall. Mexico cannot not pay for it. The US is the only reason they are not as poor as Guatemala, and without dealing, they will soon find that out. I predict Nieto will eventually take some sort of deal, but if I know Trump like I think I know Trump, the longer he waits, the more Mexico will lose.

Someone mentioned the tunnels earlier; not an issue. Solar powered, wirelessly connected ground radar units placed every 500 feet apart (10 per mile) could easily detect any digging operations and report them electronically. Such units are not expensive and are reliable. Anyone digging a tunnel large enough to crawl through would be detected as soon as they approached the border, long before they crossed it.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This project may take off, if there are no interruptions the wall may be built in under 10 yrs. Then, if upkept and working...and if what you say is true and we can get money from Mexico through tariffs...it may take a century to pay off.

However, there will be ALOT of interruptions, new presidents, red tape, new laws, laws broken, courts involved...

This will end up being just a very expensive mistake and WE have to pay for it.

I have all the hope that this turns out to be successful 100 yrs from now and America is great, thriving and the debt is down bc the wall is paid off.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Mexico will pay for the wall. They may not write a check, but they will pay in the drastic reduction of capital and jobs no longer flowing across the border and the reduction of money being sent home.

Sounds like someone telling his friends how he beat that guys fist with his face.

edit on 26-1-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
What about planes?

youtu.be...
edit on 26-1-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I'm a little confused by that analogy. Care to expand on it?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

It was an idea floated publicly, no doubt as a threat, not a policy position (at least not yet).

In the USA it can't be done unilaterally by a POTUS....Not sure how it works in the UK where you are..

Trump wants it included in a tax reform bill..

Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary for President Donald Trump, told reporters on Thursday that the administration is pushing for a 20% border tax on Mexican imports.

"When you look at the plan that's taking shape now, using comprehensive tax reform as a means to tax imports from countries that we have a trade deficit from, like Mexico," Spicer said, according to a White House pool report.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

TheRedneck

He means although the raw cash trade deficit with mexico is -60B (or slightly less)...we also have a unique "Production Sharing" agreement within NAFTA with Mexico that returns 40 cents on the dollar to US consumers.

A 20% tariff on Mexican imports will raise prices for many categories of US Consumer goods (Including food and energy sectors), but will hammer the Auto Industry the most..Even renegotiating an agreement with Mexico will mean job losses and higher car prices near immediately. If you want a hint...watch what the US Auto industry stocks do this week starting tomorrow.

Frankly, Mexico has better options than us for filling the trade hole, because our current POTUS is not credible on the world stage and doesn't want foreign deals.

Isolationism means higher costs across the board for US consumers..

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

In the USA it can't be done unilaterally by a POTUS....Not sure how it works in the UK where you are..

Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary for President Donald Trump, told reporters on Thursday that the administration is pushing for a 20% border tax on Mexican imports.

"When you look at the plan that's taking shape now, using comprehensive tax reform as a means to tax imports from countries that we have a trade deficit from, like Mexico," Spicer said, according to a White House pool report.

It's not even a proposal.
It was an idea that Spicer was talking about.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

TheRedneck

Or put another way...From your home state

Trump's 20 percent tax on Mexican imports would force U.S. consumers to pay for border wall
www.dallasnews.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

It's not even a proposal.
It was an idea that Spicer was talking about.

????

President Donald Trump has decided he will seek to pay for the wall on the US's southern border by imposing a 20% tax on imports from Mexico and as part of a larger comprehensive tax reform plan, the White House said Thursday.

www.cnn.com...

Is it your ...ahem...BS claim...That Donald trump's press secretary is just announcing stuff he thinks up on the Presidents behalf?

There is video of Spencer at that link in case you are confused.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Just an example of calling something by different labels to make it sound acceptable.

Companies not moving to mexico isn't a loss for them and a gain for you.

Mexicans will continue to send money home, both legal immigrants and illegals.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Great post. Good summation.

On top of that though, despite the USA heavily supporting and improving the money filtering into Mexico, Mexico is now more corrupt than ever before. It's a cartel run state. Mexico really has to look within to start fixing their own issues instead of throwing a tantrum because Trump wants to lessen their ability to mooch off us in order to prop up a cartel state and instead, put Americans first.

Also, the underlying hypocrisy here is amusing. Notice the rhetoric from Mexico is all about Mexico, Mexico, Mexico. An extremely nationalistic message. But when Trump puts America first, it's racist. Mexico is so nationalistic they're not only putting themselves ahead of the USA but are acting like they take precedent IN the USA.

Amazing.

As an aside, immigration is immigration. There isn't another country globally complaining about the wall. Why? Because they don't have the option of crossing on foot. They must fly and go thru the actual admission process. It's even more racist/xenophobic towards others that Mexico somehow thinks their right to migrate here trumps(pun intended) the rights of every potential immigrant from elsewhere.
edit on 26-1-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Something like that, getting hit with a tax and acting like you stuck it to Mexico.

And, as someone pointed out in another thread, if you boycott mexican products the wall gets "de-funded". Of course it would still be payed for but the payback might take longer than planned.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
Trump wants to lessen their ability to mooch off us in order to prop up a cartel state and instead, put Americans first.

Drugs bring in more money than anything else. Why would they need to mooch to prop up a cartel state? What did you think that actually meant?

As an aside, immigration is immigration. There isn't another country globally complaining about the wall. Why? Because they don't have the option of crossing on foot. They must fly and go thru the actual admission process. It's even more racist/xenophobic towards others that Mexico somehow thinks their right to migrate here trump(pun intended) the rights of every potential immigrant from elsewhere.

I think it has more to do with the US breaking the obligations agreed to in NAFTA. It's a contract.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

It certainly will hammer the auto industry, just like overregulation hammered them. That convinced them to move to Mexico. Why would a similar hammer via tariffs combined with decreased regulations not make them decide to come back here? Detroit auto factories did not vote for Trump; their ex-workers who are out of work now did.

40% is also less than 100%. Who buys more new cars, the US or Mexico?

NAFTA is going to be wiped out and renegotiated anyway.

And finally, if Mexico had better options for a trading partner than the US, they would have already made deals with them.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

If anyone asks me, I personally think this is kinda funny.

The US has been supporting the Mexican economy for decades. Workers come here, work at jobs Americans won't do in a good economy, and wire the money back to Mexico.

Right...

And Mexico "has been supporting " the US economy for "decades".

The fact that Mexicans will work under harsher conditions for less pay at home and in the USA has translated to cheaper goods and a higher quality of life for US citizens.

We can shut that down, but that means we will have dramatically higher prices for everything from groceries to automobiles. Frankly, chunks of those industries will fail outright near term.

Again..Mexico is in a position to export/import. While the USA under Trump is going the opposite direction.

Trump mistakenly thinks the US Economy is big enough to throw weight around...and it is ...if it is simply Mexico vs. USA...but in a world where he is going isolationist...it is US economy vs. Mexico+ Any and every country on the globe willing to cut a deal and fill the hole the US is leaving. There are numerous countries and all of south America, Canada, Asia et al that would love a piece of the special action we have with Mexico. trashing NAFTA leaves that door open..Many a trade minister around the globe is cheering for Trump right now.

edit on 26-1-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Companies not moving to mexico isn't a loss for them and a gain for you.

I beg to disagree.

Having a good job is more beneficial than having products a little cheaper, but no money to buy them with.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It certainly will hammer the auto industry, just like overregulation hammered them. That convinced them to move to Mexico.

I just have to stop you there...that is off the reality map.

The Auto Industry did not go to Mexico because of regulatory burden...That is BS. They went to Mexico for labor costs.

The only way to fix that is pay our people utter crap or convince Mexico to dramatically increase wages, then deal with auto-parts from China.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join