It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican President postures, cancels Tuesday meeting with Trump

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's no game, it's our nation that's been invaded a reply to: Annee

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
I think we should send troops down there. We should arm the decent common folk. Help them wipe out the cartels and put their criminally collusive government in check.

It would make Mexico great again. We could help the good ones get control of their nation and destiny back.

It would be great.

We could build it together!

It would be cheaper and more effective. One man with a 1000$ .308 bolt action rifle every 1/4 mile is way cheaper than 100$ per foot of fence that deters nothing.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: underwerks

Mexico can pay for the wall without writing a check.
There are other ways to get the money - tariff's etc.

You're on crack if you believe Mexico would bend over for high tariffs. You seriously doubt they would give the US the finger and not shop around for suitable substitutes to take that place? Price comparisons, it's not just for fat American consumers anymore.

Edit: Oh, and good luck seizing money going to Mexico. WTF do you think offshore bank accounts are for?
edit on 1/26/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I think we should send troops down there. We should arm the decent common folk. Help them wipe out the cartels and put their criminally collusive government in check.

It would make Mexico great again. We could help the good ones get control of their nation and destiny back.

It would be great.

You want us to invade Mexico to wipe out the cartels? Isn't that the same as invading a country to wipe out terrorism? How is that going for us in Afghanistan and Iraq?

As far as I remember, the Obama Administration sent guns to the drug cartels. They used the guns to shoot Americans.
Yay Obama!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

It would be great.

You want us to invade Mexico to wipe out the cartels? Isn't that the same as invading a country to wipe out terrorism? How is that going for us in Afghanistan and Iraq?

We never invaded a country to wipe out terrorism. If that's what you believe, then I won't waste anymore time discussing this topic with you. On top of that the Obama admin actually armed those terrorists.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
a reply to: Annee

I know... putting American interests first? That's just insane!

ME ME ME ME ME

I don't consider myself that important.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114

It would be great.

It would be cheaper and more effective. One man with a 1000$ .308 bolt action rifle every 1/4 mile is way cheaper than 100$ per foot of fence that deters nothing.

Well at least you guys are being honest about wanting more war instead of deescalating wars.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

It would be great.

As far as I remember, the Obama Administration sent guns to the drug cartels. They used the guns to shoot Americans.
Yay Obama!

It was a little more complicated than that and the end result was the result of a mistake not because Obama and Holder INTENTIONALLY wanted to arm the cartels, so speaking like they did is dishonest and fake news.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

It would be great.

We never invaded a country to wipe out terrorism. If that's what you believe, then I won't waste anymore time discussing this topic with you. On top of that the Obama admin actually armed those terrorists.

Ok. I wasn't talking to you to begin with so no skin off my back if you don't want to continue.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
It's no game, it's our nation that's been invaded a reply to: Annee

You ever seen Pale Blue Dot?

We're on a tiny insignificant rock in a vast universe.

My scope is a bit bigger.

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

the end result was the result of a mistake not because Obama and Holder INTENTIONALLY wanted to arm the cartels

Yet through their stupidity, they did arm the cartels.
Just what, exactly, did they think would happen?

link   

I think that the Middle east is a quagmire. It's pointless ignorance purpetuated to fulfill some fairy tale of a chosen persecuted minority that never existed as they claim.

On the other hand, Mexico is a beautiful place with decent people that is right next door.

We know that there are real problems there, we also know that our government helped make the mess that those good people live with.

We could make it right.

The Dreamers just aren't dreaming big enough.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Trump should consider the Netherlands approach to the Mexican problem . Imagine a waterway or sea from the Atlantic to the Pacific . Imagine all the new beachfront property . a win win solution .

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Interesting development.

On Wednesday, I saw Trump's stance on Mexico soften a bit to one where he was interested in both countries prospering, so Mexico must have really believed that he was bluffing about the wall.

Their response to this seems to be very rash.

That said, I don't think Trump needed to say that the meeting should be cancelled if Mexico were not paying. Before he said that, there was only rumour the meeting would be off. Sounds to me like Trump wanted to save some face here by getting the 'cancellation' in before Nieto officially confirmed it, but may have actually forced Nieto's hand.

I suspect this could lead to deportations beyond criminals, and the cancellation of DACA and DAPA, as well as fees for sending money to Mexico. Mexico is going to lose out here.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

the end result was the result of a mistake not because Obama and Holder INTENTIONALLY wanted to arm the cartels

Yet through their stupidity, they did arm the cartels.
Just what, exactly, did they think would happen?

Offtopic conversation.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I think that the Middle east is a quagmire. It's pointless ignorance purpetuated to fulfill some fairy tale of a chosen persecuted minority that never existed as they claim.

On the other hand, Mexico is a beautiful place with decent people that is right next door.

We know that there are real problems there, we also know that our government helped make the mess that those good people live with.

We could make it right.

The Dreamers just aren't dreaming big enough.

The middle east is a quagmire THANKS to our meddling. Then you immediately turn around and talk up Mexico then say we should invade to "make it right". Sounds like you want to turn Mexico into a quagmire too.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114

It would be great.

Well at least you guys are being honest about wanting more war instead of deescalating wars.

War- no. I've had enough of that. Shooting human traffickers and cartel members is not war, it's loss prevention.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You can't blame the guy.

His approval ratings tanked when he invited Trump over. He can't risk his political and presidential career.

But it's frustrating. He could have gone to the US and reached a compromise with Trump. Maybe Mexico would change it's policy on the border and there would be no need for a wall (I still wonder if Trump literally means wall).
What makes it worse is how ignorant Mexico is at the fact that they are doing nothing to enforce their own borders. It's as if they don't care about who crosses over onto the US and don't want common interests with the US in terms of Trade and such. I'm all for immigration. But I am against the idea of not having border security and just letting bad people cross over to a country that would be really helpful in trade and other relations.

I think it is a law in Mexico that is preventing the country from doing properly enforcing border security, but they should at least help out. If they don't, then perhaps it shows that they don't care about us at all. Therefore we should stop caring about them. But at the same time we can't do that (imagine Russia exploiting that and becoming allies with Mexico lol. "The Mexican Missile Crisis").

It's a tough situation. But Mexico needs to either enforce it's own borders, help us enforce it instead, or have consequences. But we need to be smart about our actions and words too.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter
I really don't understand the point of the wall. Last I heard most of the drugs were coming in through tunnels, airplane, or boat. The wall is already more of a hassle to be avoided then an obstacle to overcome by cartels. I can understand beefing up security at the border,

No way, they just walk right in. Plenty of videos of it.

but a giant wall will do nothing but waste money and create an eyesore.

China's great wall isn't an eyesore.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: xstealth

True, guess who the cartels will string up under a bridge this time when upgrading the existing wall starts.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join