It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Split

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Wow I thought M. Night Shyamalan (yeah i copy pasted it) never would do a decent movie again, I was wrong.

I don't want to ruin it, don't even watch the trailer just go see it, that guy McAvoy got some serious acting chops

Now I wish the matrix guys/gals make a comeback like Shyamalamalamala man
edit on 26-1-2017 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I saw this movie a few days ago. I think it would have been a very mediocre movie had it not been for McAvoy. He was AWESOME.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

If you remove McAvoy, the 3 hot girls, and half of the plot is still better than most of what he did in the past 10 years

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I saw a commercial for this movie and thought, wow, that looks really good, and different.
I had no idea it was M.Night, until a fellow movie buff told me at work. And to be honest, my first thought was, well crap, it probably wont be very good then.
I don't know what happened to him, but he sure went downhill fast.

Good to know someone has seen it and liked it. I will still give it a try.
edit on 26-1-2017 by chiefsmom because: spelling as usual

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Would love to see this one. Few actors can harness the creepy factor convincingly...but from the movie trailers he looks like he nails it.
On my bucket list...

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Wow I thought M. Night Shyamalan (yeah i copy pasted it) never would do a decent movie again, I was wrong.

I don't want to ruin it, don't even watch the trailer just go see it, that guy McAvoy got some serious acting chops

Hoping to catch this one but probably won't till it is on cable. M Night seemed to have a bad streak of poorly done movies for awhile. However, when he gets the plot twist right they are a doozie.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

If you remove McAvoy, the 3 hot girls, and half of the plot is still better than most of what he did in the past 10 years

Eeeeehh.. I thought The Visit was pretty good and Devil was decent. As for Split, I'd give it a 6.5/10. I don't know if it would have worked as well with a less skilled actor but McAvoy definitely delivered.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Nope. Even the commercials are too creepy. LOLz!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I enjoyed the Village *cowers from potential incoming projectiles*

I liked the look of this film ages ago, looking forward to watching it

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I loved it, and think the "it only worked because the actor was great" argument. I mean, duh! Take one great movie, and put in... I don't know... William Shatner. Would Silence of the Lambs or American Beauty be just as good?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Eeeeehh.. I thought The Visit was pretty good and Devil was decent.

I don't consider Devil a MNS movie, it needs to be written, acted, produced and directed by him or it does not count

As for Split, I'd give it a 6.5/10.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Its not a creepy movie, its more like "Hey look at the guy doing weird faces and accents!!!"

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: bender151

I've seen movies where I thought the story was interesting or the cinematography was beautiful, but the acting wasn't great. I've seen movies where the story was kind of stupid or the direction wasn't good, but the actors did well with what they had.

I believe this movie was the latter. I found the story hard to believe and rather slow at times, but whenever McAvoy was onscreen, he was electric.

Just my opinion of course.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

It actually had some funny moments, when McAvoy took on the personality of the 9-year-old boy. "Et-thetera".

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I rate it 8 or 8.5/10.
I found the ending hinting upon his former movie Unbreakable pretty clever.
It would have been even better if "the Beast" was explained in more detail, more deeply in a philosophical way, as of concept of transcending conscious mind and such...

Probably his best movie, if you think about it. There are some pretty nice ideas within the movie, just try to keep looking below the surface. It has a superficial quality for the vast majority of audience, though there is something on the deeper level as well - I only wish there was more.

M.N.Shyamalan delivers. Big time after a long era of failed attempts.
GO and see it + McAvoy is an incredible actor, what a performance!

edit on 26-1-2017 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

The Wachowski sisters (as they both changed genders) were rumoured to be working on their project "Cobalt Neural 9" for years, but it seems it's been scraped off the table or suspended for the time being.

So no movie in the forseeeable future, I think they struggle how to reach the audience, Cloud Atlas (IMHO 9.5/10) has been utterly misunderstood and the mainstream audience is just (I am sorry, but...) too dumb to get it. Also the critics didn't get it on the first viewing I suppose and didn't bother to watch it twice before writing the reviews. Super-underrated movie in my opinion. It's very well made, the concept is awesome, the source material is very clever.
So they came with Jupiter Ascending, a much more straight-forward movie with a classic hollywood Lovestory, not-so-difficult-to-follow storyline, some #ty CGI effects and mediocre acting and ended up minced by the critics, also not very well perceived by the viewers.

Matrix was understood only years later after initial release. THE VAST MAJORITY of people went to see an action movie and went home from the theatre thinking they only witnessed an action movie, however only years after the release the theories Wachowski based their movie upon started to emerge and the whole movie and the concept started to make sense. The blonde 15-year-old girls won't get it anyways, but some people nowadays do.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

top topics

join