It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump VS the Robots

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
One of the major platforms of Trump is returning jobs to The united states. I imagine he has a view of returning to the time of American Industrial Superiority. A time when America made steel manufactured automobiles and appliances. Where wages from workers in industry fueled the growth of the middle class. On this issue I agree America can not sustain itself as a service economy and should make efforts to return to the manufacturing of goods.

However something is coming on the horizon. It does not need to sleep or eat. It requires no pay just electricity. It is already taking over some driving functions in cars and in the future may be driving the trucks that transport our produce and manufactured goods.

I feel that humanity is on the verge of a technological revolution that will be like what the industrial revolution was compared to the agricultural revolution.

That revolution is the next generation of robots and self learning programs that can replace office jobs. Companies like Adidas already have fully automated factories run by robots .
This can give them social brownie points because they can say they no longer use sweatshop labor in third world countries. LINK

What's to prevent companies from coming back to the United States but only hiring technicians and programmers to run everything and have all the labor done by robots and basic AI software?

If there is no labor force getting paid because they have all been replaced by automation then who will have the money to purchase the goods manufactured?

Is this going to be the beginning of the utopian dream of a resource based Economy?

Or the descent into the dystopian hell of machines run AMOK?

I highly recommend watching this short video BY CPG grey called Humans Need Not Apply to get a feeling for the topic of this thread. I found it both fascinating and chilling .

What are your thoughts ATS on this new revolution in Automation, this Rise of the Machines?

edit on 25-1-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I imagine that at some point the bots will have a placebo button so a human operator can get a job pressing the button that does nothing...

The future is bleak

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Robots are risky business.. we learned this from I Robot, Terminator, and even the Pixar classic Wall-E

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Let me add to this thread so that people can truly grasp why it's not physical labor that's really in danger, it's cognitive labor:

waitbutwhy.com...

medium.com...

retrofitted trucks: www.bloomberg.com...

www.businessinsider.com...

www.forbes.com... /#439356fd58e6

www.cnbc.com...

I can go on an on.

Jobs are not coming back and skilled labor will become over-saturated as time goes by until hard ANI weeds the industries out. Then, the day will come where AGI emerges and the current order of capitalism as we know it is over. It's just simple economic and technological fact, nothing to get angry over.

I will give the Trump Supporters this:
Factories are coming back...automated factories:

www.cbsnews.com...

Good Luck

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I don't think that a robot would get angry put period blood (or any other kind of human juice) on my burger-so I'm going to have to pick the robots.

A robot would would be much more pleasant to deal with,as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Well,we already have 1/4 (at least) of a nation that sits on their fat rears with cell phones plastered to their heads not working and collecting handouts all day.

I bet you don't have a problem with that,though.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This is why I didn't buy Trump's job creation myth. When the minimum wage is increased to $15, companies like Wendy's is planning to install automated order taking system than paying the increased wages. If these companies have one bad quarter, their stock prices will start falling like dominos.

I think Trump knows this as well, thats why Trump is going old tech with building of wall, that will be the biggest job creator.

edit on 25-1-2017 by VimanaExplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: angryproctologist

Sigh

When no one get jobs, no one will have money to buy, the economy will need some artificial fix, create fake jobs, or eliminate the economy and go full Comunist is what I predict, you know bleak...

I hate when people is dumb and only limits their views to partisan points like you.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
And to add:

Bernie, Hillary, and Trump were lying if they said anything about Job Growth. I repeat. You are all living in one of the most liberating transition periods in human history and it will get dark, gritty, and seemingly hopeless for a decade or so until it rounds itself out and humans live in a subjective "paradise". Until then, good luck weathering the night. Dawn approaches with paradigms, medical advancements, technologies, and freedoms you could not have imagined.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Amazon already has automated grocery stores out in Seattle.
link

I am also interested in how 3d printing is advancing in every field from medicine to manufacturing tools. I hope for the replicators of star trek but fear the possibility of an AI run nanny state. These are very weird and interesting times.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheOneElectric
And to add:

Bernie, Hillary, and Trump were lying if they said anything about Job Growth. I repeat. You are all living in one of the most liberating transition periods in human history and it will get dark, gritty, and seemingly hopeless for a decade or so until it rounds itself out and humans live in a subjective "paradise". Until then, good luck weathering the night. Dawn approaches with paradigms, medical advancements, technologies, and freedoms you could not have imagined.

I really hope you are right on this. The one thing that can be said is the old economic model cannot work in new coming paradigm.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Some places are experimenting with Universal Basic Income.

Block chain is being investigated as the distribution system.

I think it will slowly catch on.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Great topic. Thanks.

Posting so I don't lose this.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I toured a FORD assembly plant south of Chicago way back in 1998, and there were only 8 people on the floor. Everything else was automated assembly, and robots (the 4 wheel variety) running parts from one place to another.

One thing I will not do is let a self-driving ROBOT CAR take me anywhere. When that TELSA driver was decapitated last month while watching a movie en-route to work, it squelched by desire to give one a try.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AutonomousMeatPuppet

I think Elon Musk was advocating Universal Basic Income.
I feel that those that have an eye on science and technology can read the writing on the wall that big shifts are coming and societies and economies are most likely going to have to function in a new way.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

First off, the Tesla vehicle was not an autonomous vehicle. It has assisted driving, not a full suite of proper tools to allow it self driving capabilities.

Second:
www.wired.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Not every job can be replaced by robots, and the jobs that are replaced will ultimately create new jobs in one way or another. A robot workforce would require entire crews of maintenance workers and technicians. Cyber security would also be a big issue. Imagine if hackers could just go in and halt entire industries because plants could be shutdown with a few lines of code.

I guess it's a good time to have that electronics degree. I'm sure programming will also be an extremely important field in the near future, along with engineering and network technology. At the end of the day, robots won't be able to troubleshoot and repair themselves. Especially with how fast technology grows and evolves. And with evolving technology comes evolving security threats and malicious programs.

Hopefully when everything is automated I will have learned how to exploit it for free goods and services..

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

In a series of flight combat simulations, the A.I. successfully evaded retired U.S. Air Force Colonel Gene "Geno" Lee, and shot him down every time. In a statement, Lee called it "the most aggressive, responsive, dynamic and credible A.I. I've seen to date." And "Geno" is no slouch.

link

Also looks like fighter pilots will be out of jobs soon.
Thats just one step away from regular airline pilots.
Not to mention all the millitary robots boston dynamics and other companies are working on.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

If you watched the video I recall that it went over how there are programs to write programs.
I Imagine machines will be capable of fixing machines.
Any human technicians will have to be very specialized.
edit on 25-1-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

www.darpa.mil...

Here's proof of concept (kind of)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join