It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

apologies on old morse code talk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Over the years That I have been a member, there have been 2 or 3 posts which involved discussion of morse code.I have always bragged about my dads wpm. I guess I was wrong.

I have said my dad did 80 words per minute, and honestly I believed that is what he said. I would have thrown down if you called me or him a liar.

My dad was army security agency, high speed morse interceptor, stationed in Turkey, monitoring Russia. He knew Gary Powers, they knew something was up when Sputnik launched..

BUT...I have always said 80 words a minute morse code... I talked to him tonight. He laughed...80wpm would be a straight buzz.

They were 30 -35 words per minute.

I just want to throw this out there for any morse code people out there, if I said 80 wpm was attainable that could make you feel bad,

So officially, my dad was a high speed morse interceptor and did 30 -35 words per minute

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

My dad was a morse code operator in Korea, he had TS clearance and was fast for the day.

I can recall from memory ALL his stories of "diddie dumb dumb diddie". His 'slang' for morse code.

This is what he had in our house and I still have after he died, he called it a 'butterfly'.

It was operated side to side instead of tapping down on it and had a variable weight that he said he used to take right off for highest speed.

I am not sure of the speeds he claimed but he said at high speed it sounded like a Buzzzzzz.

My old man was f#ed up mentally from that experience but he knew his $h!t about morse code.

Thanks for the memories, and RIP Dad

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Thanks for the response man. My dad was in after Korea, before Viet Nam. It was dit dit dat for us... Her has some home movies of Russian planes over their base.

RIP to your father my friend

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

was he ASA per chance?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I found a free Morse code program that will create code from text and back again. I found that by using 1khz tone, at 40 WPM, 3X Word Spacing, and Weight = 3/1, I can accurately transmit and receive the code over license free two-way radios. It can go faster but the accuracy will go down from there, at least when I tested it. I haven't tried it on SSB CB yet, but I'd imagine it doesn't work as well due to the need to tune the frequency, but for all I know it may work better.

top topics

join