It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unions switching to Trumps Republicans?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It has been discussed after the election, but I think this weeks developments may signal a further shift in how Union members will vote in the future. Seeing the comments of the Union leaders, including teamster leader James Hoffa, of how thrilled they were to meet Trump, and how most of them had never been invited to discuss issues with the President before, really makes it look like they are starting to view Trump in a great light.

In addition to this, things like potential tariffs on foreign countries and tough talk on businesses like car manufacturers are really in line with the Union message. In fact, I saw James Hoffa on Fox praising how even if these tariffs are never enacted, the mere fact that Trump is threatening is respected by Unions as looking out for them, and will result in better deals for them.

I think that we are starting to see a shift in how these people will vote. Even in my home town, I know several union members that were against Trump. I know one or two union people that voted for Trump, but most were skeptical. However, after talking with some of these people this week, they are now jumping on Trumps bandwagon.

It is amazing to see how fast this has occurred. I know demographics have switched in parties in the past, such as minorities switching from Republican to Democrat, but that took place over decades.

It seems to me that Democrats have made a huge mistake ignoring this voting block and instead focusing on identity politics. In fact, as Trump is holding discussions with these groups and signing executive orders that unions like, Democrats are calling his speech discussing the plight of workers dark and dangerous, and are yelling about crowd sizes and comments about voter fraud. In fact, many democrats seem to be doubling down on identity politics, and focusing on more and more issues that ignore workers and unions.

If Trump has any amount of success whatsoever for workers, they may permanently switch to Republican.

edit on 25-1-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
We've had entirely too much winning already, I'm getting tired of it.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
originally posted by: Grambler

If Trump has any amount of success whatsoever for workers, they may permanently switch to Republican.

Red Dog Republicans are the new Blue Dog Democrats.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
if the democrats lose the union vote that`s going to be another kick in the balls for the democrats.

The U.S.S. democrat is sinking fast they need to do some serious bailing if they hope to still be afloat for the 2020 election.

it`s sad that such an old and historic party is being torn apart by the radical progressives.
edit on 25-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Wow. First the Dems lose the 'Union' vote...soon they'll be losing the 'Illegal' vote.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Wow. First the Dems lose the 'Union' vote...soon they'll be losing the 'Illegal' vote.

The United Cemetery Workers International Union as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Their base is shrinking, makes you wonder who they are going to try to pander to next.

We don't want Trump to make America great again doesn't leave them a lot to work with.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Thanks for your very illustrating post. It makes sense. Trump is creating more jobs, more future union members.

edit on 25-1-2017 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

they were hoping to get the radical Islamic terrorist refugees vote but it looks like trump is shutting that down.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

It seems to me that Democrats have made a huge mistake ignoring this voting block and instead focusing on identity politics.

If they would have ignored them they might have gotten away with it, but they didn't ignore them.

They insulted them and made light of their issues. They made it clear just how little respect they actually have for blue collar workers, how they look down on them.

AND they continue to do so.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Rats ... and the burning ship analogy ... spring to mind.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

And there's the "key".

He has to deliver.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Just a few short months ago, the Democrats were predicting the demise of the Republican Party.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Why would unions support the party that are gutting unions? The whole right to work BS is a GOP pushed agenda to weaken unions in order support businesses over workers.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Why would unions support the party that are gutting unions? The whole right to work BS is a GOP pushed agenda to weaken unions in order support businesses over workers.

Right to work does not prevent people from joining a Union.

If a workforce is strong enough, they can vote to join a Union of their choice.

And the Democrat Party unfortunately has reduced many Unions.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

And there's the "key".

He has to deliver.

Thats true.

But no matter what the economy does over all under Trump, if the Democrats continue to ignore unions and push for things like TPP, while insulting fly over country as all racists, they will still not go be to the Democrats.

And so far, it appears as if Trumps is scoring very high points with unions.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Of what.
What do you mean

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

As Xuenchen said about right to work, it s not necessarily anti union.

In addition, Obama was (and maybe is currently) the face of the Democratic party, and his pushing the TPP angered many Union people.

In addition, Trump is not viewed as a traditional Republican, and Unions seem to be taking a liking to him, and this will influence other Republicans and Union members.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
So you're telling me a guy who is known for not paying his workers is going to help the average worker out?

Don't get me wrong, this sounds great on paper but I'll only believe it when I see some real positive change actually happening.

I don't have much faith in Trump at all and believe he is a wolf in sheep's clothing but if he proves me wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Now if we could get the Unions out of politics and back to the workers. Now more than ever we need proper representation and not worried to be sold out. Never been in a union and have been in skilled trade my entire career. Funny huh.

Trump being for fair trade and rebuilding infrastructure should be a no brainer.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join