It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Orders Communications Blackout For US Scientists

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Trump supporters can't decide who will hate more. Now it's science and scientist. If you don't understand it or like it - burn it, hang it, call it fake news etc..

About Global warming.. everyone who lives more than 20 years a doesn't have his memory damaged must noticed apparent climate changes.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Zmurfix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There is a difference between a public employee, and a private employee. Do you know what that is?

An employee of a private organisation answers to a small number of people. They answer to their manager, team leader or what have you, who answers to the director of the company, who answers to the shareholders, because it is through this chain, via human resources management, that they are paid. The bottom line is, that the shareholders control how much money goes in to investment in research, so they are permitted to know the results of that research, to see fruit from their hard earned money, and its investment into the business.

A public employee is employed by either States, or the Federal government. That means that YOU occupy the shareholding position, meaning that unless their work is fundamentally and inextricably linked to national security, THE PEOPLE are the shareholders, and have a right to be able to see the results of, the fruits of their tax money being invested in research. You cannot, and MUST not try to compare the two situations, because they have nothing, not a damned thing to do with one another.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: CHONGO

Hey, it's working. For the most part, the press is all in a lather about that and not really paying attention to all the other stuff they could be whipping themselves into a frenzy over.

Excellent point.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Neither I or my husband are allowed to spout off whatever we want to shareholders either.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: BlueAjah

Ah. Alternate facts.

That is what this scientist working in gov is fighting, alternative science coming from within powerful government agencies, PERIOD!

I know a few with common sense at the EPA but it is NOT very common at all with those types. Love the ones with common sense, the others have to leave when we get to talking and will be run out of the room during open discussions for their lack of it. Later they come into other discussions, see us there, and have to decide if their lies will stick and IF they come in then, we usually get a reasonable debate going. That is even if we lose to those with the power to decide the new reg's anyway despite our scientific objections, they do talk with us and we do share the facts. The part where they do it anyway after the science is on the table is just insane. They are making my job harder with normal citizens because, since I work with them, I am guilty by association to the ill informed. Fortunately, there are more people who have decided to dig deeper and learn some things about these people and the obvious agendas. Perception of our position is most of the issue for a lot of people. I hope my fellow citizens perceive I am doing everything I can to right this ship of gov science.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Good grief!

This is not news. This is standard operating procedure at any employer.

Husband is a scientist. Guess what? He is under an NDA which is basically a communications black out. He is not supposed to talk specifically about anything he does at work. He can talk about it in general terms of course, but nothing specific. If he does, he can be fired for it.
I operate under the same rules where I work and I'm just an editor/proofreader.

Not remotely the same thing at all. Your employer OWNS your intellectual property when developed while employed. That intellectual property is part of your employer's competitive advantage. The Federal scientists are OUR employees. We pay for their research and it belongs to us. Apart for research that is directly tied to national security there is no reason for it to be gagged unless someone wants to selectively edit it.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
Hey Sofi! Did you see that NASA scientists are also going rogue on Twitter?

Scientists are peaceable people...but we're also doggone devious if you irk us.

Yes you are right and i am one against the Gore/UN falsification and fabrication of a major impact of man made CO2. Rain forest deforestation is the issue for climate discussion and the new magnetic North, still not settled is the real story those who believe the Gore/UN thiefdom need to ponder before they miss it. This is launching people like Trump to run who can stand up with a brass set of gonads to the idiots who have decided they know better than numerous good scientists who have challenged them when they clearly are on an agenda with manipulation of the public to their agenda.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I do not agree with this, Trump is gagging scientists because he knows that science goes against his policies. It is not the right way to go about doing this. It keeps the public and news organizations from knowing the truth. It is a corrupt policy. The correct route would to be to explain the economic benefit of his plans and engage in debate.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Trump's attempt to shut down "Climate Change" propaganda?

Public and Private university researchers get paid (bribed) to hype the Climate Hoax. Maybe EPA officials have been taking cash under the table to push the Global Warming scam.

Plenty of federal 'officials' have been getting paid to lie -- that much is clear.

If the feds weren't lying about unemployment, inflation, GDP and everything else, I'd say "Wait, we need to see their research!" But under Obama their 'research' is basically lies and propaganda -- built to order.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ventian
Scientists will still be on ATS.

They will still be on Reddit.

They will still be on 4chan, Youtube, chats, forums, comment sections, etc.

They will also publish and review papers, as per their professions.

They will no longer be able to use social media to push an agenda. How is this a bad thing?

problemis anyone with a scintific background knows that is useless - an informedpublich shoud have lear access to all levels, not jus PhD meta-analysisstudies ad theyvrun four several hundred-thousand pages usig language and sciene 90% of people are completely cluess about.

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Talk about misrepresenting what happened. It's not a blackout of scientists, it's telling government agencies to not send anything out without it being reviewed for now, until the new administrations policies are in place.

Weclome to group think , where Trump aidaa perform the peer recieve which shock of all horrors always calims hes right and 100 yeras of valid reasearch and meta-anylsis are all wrong because Trump said so. Classic silencing the press to make it appear as if Trump lives in reality.

So long freedom of press. hello banana predublic idioracry for the next few years

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

originally posted by: ventian
Scientists will still be on ATS.

They will still be on Reddit.

They will still be on 4chan, Youtube, chats, forums, comment sections, etc.

They will also publish and review papers, as per their professions.

They will no longer be able to use social media to push an agenda. How is this a bad thing?

problemis anyone with a scintific background knows that is useless - an informedpublich shoud have lear access to all levels, not jus PhD meta-analysisstudies ad theyvrun four several hundred-thousand pages usig language and sciene 90% of people are completely cluess about.

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Talk about misrepresenting what happened. It's not a blackout of scientists, it's telling government agencies to not send anything out without it being reviewed for now, until the new administrations policies are in place.

Weclome to group think , where Trump aidaa perform the peer recieve which shock of all horrors always calims hes right and 100 yeras of valid reasearch and meta-anylsis are all wrong because Trump said so. Classic silencing the press to make it appear as if Trump lives in reality.

So long freedom of press. hello banana predublic idioracry for the next few years

Ow, my brain hurts now.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
Moreover, I know where this sort of 'intervention' leads. It's not good. It's not "normal," and it's not benevolent. By a long shot.

Nooooo kidding. And as you noted, we've already been hit with "you can't say that because it's not politically right."

I think this time we're going to see scientists rebelling through social media, tweeting out data and even working with or sending material to other countries to be worked on.

Good thing too. But too bad.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Scientists are peaceable people...but we're also doggone devious if you irk us. I expect to see more of this in the future (perhaps rogue university accounts as well.)

(and some of us are better at Internet and computers than Donald Trump (who was warned by an ethical hacker) and Rudy Giuliani)

YES! What a relief.

Thank you for the links!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: ketsuko

There is a difference between a public employee, and a private employee. Do you know what that is?

An employee of a private organisation answers to a small number of people. They answer to their manager, team leader or what have you, who answers to the director of the company, who answers to the shareholders, because it is through this chain, via human resources management, that they are paid. The bottom line is, that the shareholders control how much money goes in to investment in research, so they are permitted to know the results of that research, to see fruit from their hard earned money, and its investment into the business.

A public employee is employed by either States, or the Federal government. That means that YOU occupy the shareholding position, meaning that unless their work is fundamentally and inextricably linked to national security, THE PEOPLE are the shareholders, and have a right to be able to see the results of, the fruits of their tax money being invested in research. You cannot, and MUST not try to compare the two situations, because they have nothing, not a damned thing to do with one another.

Thank you. Well stated.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Cannabis research has been all but non-existent for decades because the PTB didn't want 'to go there'. It was against THEIR agendas/prejudices so it was nixed. And like or not we have suffered as a result. Now, it seems, political censorship of research is being applied with a broad-brush --- strike that, a paint roller --- across a wide swath of scientific disciplines. Whatever the new Regime believes, THAT 'S what gets published. Whatever scientific results go against Their agendas/prejudices gets squashed. Transparency in action. But I know, I know... Donald knows best. He's just looking out for our best interests.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I've not had time to dig into all of the links in the OP but the first one posted on IFLS is 100% anti-Trump propaganda. Usually i wouldn't post Buzzfeed as a source but since thats the source IFLS used (And that Buzzfeed source, weirdly, used another Buzzfeed article as its source. Funny how that works), here is another. oops, turns out Trump had nothing to do with it

100% anti-Trump propaganda pushed out by a leftie-liberal English woman with an axe to grind? Thats what it looks like to me.
edit on 09America/ChicagokThu, 26 Jan 2017 09:27:33 -0600amJan by HekraM because: Spelling!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This is what I expected of Trump and the real reason why he screams about fake news. He is blocking and limiting the public sources to information already. Like most of the right if it doesn't fit their paradigm it isn't real. Don't you wish reality was whatever you want to say it is?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

The CO2, in fact, becomes stone within a short period of time.

I'm interested in that, never heard it before! Google here I come!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Scientists are peaceable people...but we're also doggone devious if you irk us. I expect to see more of this in the future (perhaps rogue university accounts as well.)

(and some of us are better at Internet and computers than Donald Trump (who was warned by an ethical hacker) and Rudy Giuliani)

YES! What a relief.

Thank you for the links!

Really? Be careful what you wish for. We have seen without a shadow of a doubt that the political divide is such that people will make things up in order to attack Trump. Obama spent 8 years putting his people into these organisations and the political motivations are such that I don't trust them.

That particular NASA twitter account indulges in personal attacks against the President. They should make such attacks through their personal accounts, not 'alternative NASA' twitter accounts.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

...Now, it seems, political censorship of research is being applied with a broad-brush --- strike that, a paint roller --- across a wide swath of scientific disciplines. Whatever the new Regime believes, THAT 'S what gets published. ...

Some people don't seem to get that there is a difference between the raw scientific data that's generated by research, and its interpretation. Or that, as Byrd points out, " there are many types of scientists, including those who work on military projects, those who work on robots, those who work in food science, those who work in chemistry (developing things like more efficient batteries and better solar panels), physics, astronomy, meteorology, geology, biology, forestry, paleontology, anthropology, archaeology, acoustics, information science (that's my field), bacteriology (like fighting the new strain of MRSA), cardiology, cartography, microbiology, petrology, etc, etc, etc.... "

Now, it looks like research funding is being cut across the board - because some data interpretation does not support the current political agenda and is therefore suspect - so by association, all the data is considered also questionable. Go figure.

We own the raw data. We paid for it. We need it.

Yes, some researchers manufacture data - but generally, such hoes are paid by Big Pharma and other industries to help bypass health and safety regs.

Real scientists are interested in facts. Not Alt-Facts.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join