It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Orders Communications Blackout For US Scientists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

originally posted by: UKTruth
Hopefully this means he is going to kill all the global warming fascism and start opening up the debate.

Time to bury Al Gore!

Run him over with a glacier.

It'll take one, I bet.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: Blaine91555

It's just an attempt to get the flow of information under control by routing it through a review process, so they know what is going out to the public under the auspices of the government. It's not an attempt to silence science.

You must be under 30.

I fondly remember my own youthful naivete.

Sweet.

Double the thirty and add a little. This is not the Pit so no insults please just because we don't agree.

I'm fine with being proven wrong in any case, but with evidence not veiled insults.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Sorry. You really do sound young to me. ...I came back on to u2u you and apologize for being patronizing. Now I am also sorry for having insulted you. I apologize.

In my own defence, I am passionate about this subject and have been for a long, long time. Moreover, I know where this sort of 'intervention' leads. It's not good. It's not "normal," and it's not benevolent. By a long shot.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Not a problem.
We all have things that get our juices flowing.

I think with this topic, I'm going to wait to see what actually comes of this before I judge. I'm just a little suspicious of the way the various sources are phrasing things.

I'm neither a Trump nor a Hillary supporter and right now I just hope the winner does a good job for all of us. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now. Fingers crossed.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: UKTruth
Hopefully this means he is going to kill all the global warming fascism and start opening up the debate.

How is it a debate? I mean, we don't debate gravity, so why is global warming a debate? Serious question.

How does gravity work? Seriously, that is still up for debate. Some physicists have gone so far as to say gravity is not a fundamental force of the universe but actually a side effect of the true fundamental forces.

Even then the analogy does not work. We can observe gravity. We are not observing climate change as the computer models are supposedly calculating it.

Normally in science, if a model does not work it is scrapped and redesigned. But not in 'climate science'. Wierd.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It is strange that they are acting so fast to do so many things. It is also strange how fast they are getting done. As if it were planned for a long time.

Did you know Big Oil and Military Industry has infiltrated the cabinet?

Do you know there is heavy Koch Bros influence in the cabinet?

Mapping Koch influence in the Trump Cabinet

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
It is also strange how fast they are getting done.

What exactly - - is actually getting done?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Optics, of course!

[You had to know that.
]

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

This isn't the first time in history this has happened. I love how everyone just knee-jerk reacts to what the media tells them is "craziiiinesss".

Research people, research....

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
dbl post, sorry
edit on 25-1-2017 by ofleming because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

And? This isn't the first time this has happened

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ofleming

And? This isn't the first time this has happened

...I love how everyone just knee-jerk reacts to what the media tells them is "craziiiinesss".

Research people, research....

Yes. You should do a bit of research. Or at least click on a few links or perhaps, read others' posts. This isn't the first time this has happened - as I have said several times on this thread, and as evidenced by my 2005 and 2006 threads referenced in my OP and linked again here:

ATS 2005: U.S. Still Silencing Scientists

… "The pressure to alter scientific reports for political reasons has become pervasive at Fish and Wildlife offices around the country," says Lexi Shultz of the Union of Concerned Scientists. According to critics, the Bush administration routinely alters science to suit political objectives.

ATS 2006: Saving Public Access to Scientific Information

The Bush administration's 2007 budget cut the EPA Library Network's budget by 80 percent, and the EPA started shutting down libraries before Congress even approved the budget. Critics say this is another example of the Bush administration restricting public access to scientific information…

Oh yeah, and this one:

[url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1157791/pg1#pid21810314]originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: Profusion

It HAS happened before: peer review replaced by political intervention (links below).

edit on 25/1/17 by soficrow because: add oh yeah

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Optics, of course!

[You had to know that.
]

You can fool some of the people all of the time

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Scientists need to talk about their work with their peers, and the public has a right to access research funded by tax money.

People also seem to be conflating "science" with their "least favorite concept." We should point out that there are many types of scientists, including those who work on military projects, those who work on robots, those who work in food science, those who work in chemistry (developing things like more efficient batteries and better solar panels), physics, astronomy, meteorology, geology, biology, forestry, paleontology, anthropology, archaeology, acoustics, information science (that's my field), bacteriology (like fighting the new strain of MRSA), cardiology, cartography, microbiology, petrology, etc, etc, etc....

There are grants in all those fields that enable scientists to do research (such as the human genome project that a friend of mine worked on or grants for oilfield research (my friend the geologist had some of those) and so forth. They were chopped under Bush and research slowed.

Trump can indeed chop all of this. What it means is that we don't have the resources to follow through on things like seismology (earthquake) research or materials science research.

America isn't the world. Other nations will take up the research and move forward (as our American labs, underfunded, deal with few employees and antiquated equipment) ... and in the end, America will pay much more for new things (like better batteries) than if we used our own scientists to develop these ideas and market them to the world.

And yeah, I know about underfunded labs. Our paleontology lab is pretty underfunded... only recently got a good air system for the scribes but today the head of the lab was going back to argue for a few hundred dollars to buy another airscribe (some of ours are 15-20 years old.)

So we lose our advantage. I'd rather us be the leader in technology than the total consumer that never has any new innovations to sell.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Moreover, I know where this sort of 'intervention' leads. It's not good. It's not "normal," and it's not benevolent. By a long shot.

Nooooo kidding. And as you noted, we've already been hit with "you can't say that because it's not politically right."

I think this time we're going to see scientists rebelling through social media, tweeting out data and even working with or sending material to other countries to be worked on.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Very well stated.

At this point I don't know how anyone can deny how bad this is.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Hey Sofi! Did you see that NASA scientists are also going rogue on Twitter?

Scientists are peaceable people...but we're also doggone devious if you irk us. I expect to see more of this in the future (perhaps rogue university accounts as well.)

(and some of us are better at Internet and computers than Donald Trump (who was warned by an ethical hacker) and Rudy Giuliani)
edit on 26-1-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Byrd

Very well stated.

At this point I don't know how anyone can deny how bad this is.

It may be bad, but we're not going quietly!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   
When people demonize science and scientist , we get the dark-ages, and yes others will pick up the slack, a very high number of scientist and innovators are recent Americans and even more student in various fields, most of whom will go back to their home lands, Michio Kaku laid this out some time ago, so yeah lets continue to play the fool and quickly become a 4th rate nation, if there is one thing I know about the fall of civilizations, is the rot begin within.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Trump Administration Orders Communications Blackout For US Scientists

Needs to be reviewed and regurgitated by the propaganda arm of government.
All needs to be okayed through the Supreme Leader Kim Jong Trump!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join