It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Orders Communications Blackout For US Scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

…The EPA, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Transportation and the National Park Service – all of which contain thousands upon thousands of taxpayer-funded scientists – were told a few days ago to cease and desist any form of communication with the public and the media when it came to their research.

…at the time of writing, the administrator of the scientific wing of the USDA rescinded this muzzling order.

There’s no update as of yet on whether or not the other federal agencies have decided to fight back against this information suppression.

Trump Administration Orders Communications Blackout For US Scientists

Get ready for more post-truth alt-facts. Again.

NOTE: Your tax dollars pay for the research you are no longer allowed to access or hear about.

Sudden changes at the EPA, USDA, and CDC under Trump, explained

Government scientists are being ordered not to talk about their research — and it’s only week one.

Trump appears to be muzzling scientists just like Canada did

A North American nation elected a leader known for hostility to science and affection for the domestic oil industry. After the new administration took power, government scientists stopped speaking freely to the press. Questions had to be sent by email and routed through central approval. Scientists were told not to talk about hot-button issues including climate, oil, forestry, and other environmental concerns. They had to get approval to attend scientific conferences. Before submitting to peer-reviewed journals, they were asked to submit keywords and predict policy implications of their work to higher-ups. Some were even asked to omit certain information from publications. The scientific community called it “muzzling.”

That’s what happened in Canada after Prime Minister Stephen Harper was elected in 2006. And now it’s happening here under President Donald Trump…

Trump Administration Puts Gag Order on Several Government Agencies

Employees at several federal agencies including the Department of Agriculture have been barred by the Trump administration from making any statements, or providing any documents to the public or journalists, according to published reports.

The Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Health and Human Services are also impacted by the orders, which were reportedly handed down this week, and include a prohibition against some of the agencies posting on social media.

A memo sent to EPA staff said that there should be no press releases sent to "external audiences" and that "no social media will be going out," according to a report by The Hill. The memo also says that a digital strategist will be coming in to oversee the agency's social-media policies, and that "existing, individually controlled social-media accounts may become more centrally controlled."

The memo also ordered that no new posts be made to any agency blogs, that staff send a list of any external speaking arrangements, that no new documents be uploaded to any public website, and that "incoming media requests will be carefully screened."

Staff at the USDA's Agricultural Research Service also got a memo on Monday telling them not to provide any documents to the public, including press releases and social-media content…

Employees of the Department of Health and Human Services were also told not to publish any new documents or correspondence in any public forum, including the Federal Register, and not to discuss any documents or rules with public officials "until the Administration has had an opportunity to review them,”…

The Interior Department was recently ordered to shut down its Twitter accounts temporarily, …

……MORE…..

'It's Day 4 and It's Already Happening': Rachel Maddow Sounds the Alarm on Trump's Science Gag Order

The MSNBC host warns the EPA has effectively been "brought to a halt."

Trump silences government scientists with gag orders

Employees at Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Agriculture are affected

Donald Trump stopping US government scientists from speaking out publicly is 'chilling’

The American Association for the Advancement of Science warns against 'censorship and intimidation’

Make America Gagged Again

Trump issues gag orders on science agencies.

USDA Scientists Have Been Put On Lockdown Under Trump

“Starting immediately and until further notice” the department’s main research division “will not release any public-facing documents,” according to an internal memo. UPDATE: The order was rescinded by the department on Tuesday.

According to an email sent Monday morning and obtained by BuzzFeed News, the department told staff — including some 2,000 scientists — at the agency’s main in-house research arm, the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), to stop communicating with the public about taxpayer-funded work.
“Starting immediately and until further notice, ARS will not release any public-facing documents,” Sharon Drumm, chief of staff for ARS, wrote in a department-wide email shared with BuzzFeed News.
This includes, but is not limited to, news releases, photos, fact sheets, news feeds, and social media content,” she added.

Trump bans government scientists from sharing their work with the taxpayers who funded it

ATS 2005: U.S. Still Silencing Scientists

… "The pressure to alter scientific reports for political reasons has become pervasive at Fish and Wildlife offices around the country," says Lexi Shultz of the Union of Concerned Scientists. According to critics, the Bush administration routinely alters science to suit political objectives.

ATS 2006: Saving Public Access to Scientific Information

The Bush administration's 2007 budget cut the EPA Library Network's budget by 80 percent, and the EPA started shutting down libraries before Congress even approved the budget. Critics say this is another example of the Bush administration restricting public access to scientific information…

ATS 2006: Rewriting The Science: How the Bush Administration is Lying to You!

NOTE: The gag orders apparently were lifted on the USDA, but the others remain.

edit on 25/1/17 by soficrow because: format

+54 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
There should be a black out on science dissemination until all lobbyists are corralled and hanged.

Any scientist who modifies the data on behalf of lobbyists should be corralled and hung.

Then perhaps a real discussion on truth can take place. I doubt that's what he has in mind however.
edit on 25-1-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Don't worry old Zucker will be along with "Fake Science Detector AI"

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Oh my gosh, all US scientists, errr... or only federally employed scientists, or is the OP title misleading. Better question: So only scientists in these agencies are gagged, or again is the OP title misleading?

Guess you've never worked for company during a business buy-out, huh? Standard operational procedures, that's all.

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Good grief!

This is not news. This is standard operating procedure at any employer.

Husband is a scientist. Guess what? He is under an NDA which is basically a communications black out. He is not supposed to talk specifically about anything he does at work. He can talk about it in general terms of course, but nothing specific. If he does, he can be fired for it.

I operate under the same rules where I work and I'm just an editor/proofreader.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hopefully this means he is going to kill all the global warming fascism and start opening up the debate.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Hopefully this means he is going to kill all the global warming fascism and start opening up the debate.

Time to bury Al Gore!

edit on 25-1-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

Time to bury Al Gore!

In snow!

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

That question was asked at the WH press conference today.

That information you have is distorted. Look up the Press Conference and listen.

edit on 25-1-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Researchers who see the whole climate change/global warming theory as bogus and by no means a planet-ending crisis are hopeful that the incoming Trump Administration will allow their views to be heard. The Obama administration wanted to make it a criminal act to disagree with them — typical leftist attitude. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) also banned skeptics.

Meanwhile, scientists have shown in a pilot project in Iceland that the purported climate-sensitive carbon dioxide they use to scare everyone can actually be safely stored underground. The CO2, in fact, becomes stone within a short period of time.

Hopefully, the Trump Administration will open this issue to real science instead of propaganda for tax hikes.

Martin Armstrong

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Okay......

Here's something for y'all to consider.

Who steals all that research then productionises it at a cost we cannot possibly compete with so as to gain a global monopoly?

Give me a C
Give me an H
Give me an I
Give me an N
Give me an A

Whattya got? CHINA!!

It's not so much about keeping us in the dark as it is about stopping them from pinching our hard work. As for other agencies, well with social media being the way it is and given how rogue everyone is going because Trump got it, all I can say is can ya blame them? Dissent causes division. Division festers and then wars start. Just saying........
edit on 25-1-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Gagging these guys until they're ready to stop lying isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Think of the wastes they've caused.
Think of how hard it is going to be to restore confidence.

How are we ever going to re-shape the thought processing of the kids who've been duped and under-educated for the last eight years.

Somebody needs to pay. These guys were supposed to be professionals. When the shaking stops the good and the bad will separate like oil and vinegar.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Here's where I'm a bit lost.

If Trump (like Obama and Bush before) rely so much on executive order, than what good is congress and crafting legislation. Seems like we are getting closer and closer to dictatorship.

It's just weird that for decades you have this back and forth in congress and senate about bills. Now the order of the day is Executive Action. Granted our Congress and Senate is loaded with sleaze bags that are self-serving, but doesn't this present a double edged sword?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

What's your opinion on my questioning from my last post? I'd love to hear from you in regards to it. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
a reply to: queenofswords

Here's where I'm a bit lost.

If Trump (like Obama and Bush before) rely so much on executive action, than what good is congress and crafting legislation. Seems like we are getting closer and closer to dictatorship.

It's just weird that for decades you have this back and forth in congress and senate about bills. Now the order of the day is Executive Action. Granted our Congress and Senate is loaded with sleaze bags that are self-serving, but doesn't this present a double edged sword?

The President has to operate within the bounds of the law when issuing executive orders, or he could find himself in trouble.
New laws need to be passed by the legislative branch.

An executive order is an official document signed by the president that declares government policy. In an executive order, a president is giving instructions to government agencies and departments about how to operate in a certain area. An executive order is legally binding, and written into the official journal of the government, the Federal Register. Each executive order is numbered. Executive orders cannot reverse a law passed by Congress. Limited in scope, their sweep isn't as broad as a piece of legislation. President Trump can overturn any of President Obama's executive orders, just as Trump's successor can overturn anything he signs while in office.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: WilliamtheResolute

Researchers who see the whole climate change/global warming theory as bogus and by no means a planet-ending crisis are hopeful that the incoming Trump Administration will allow their views to be heard. The Obama administration wanted to make it a criminal act to disagree with them — typical leftist attitude. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) also banned skeptics.

Meanwhile, scientists have shown in a pilot project in Iceland that the purported climate-sensitive carbon dioxide they use to scare everyone can actually be safely stored underground. The CO2, in fact, becomes stone within a short period of time.

Hopefully, the Trump Administration will open this issue to real science instead of propaganda for tax hikes.

Martin Armstrong

Re CO2 sequestration: I was on the EPA site a few weeks ago and was surprised to see support for such initiatives.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

True but even through legislation the President is empowered to interpret the law differently than what originally intended:

Signing statements--official executive branch pronouncements made when the President signs a bill into law to assert his interpretation, raise any constitutional objections, and state his intentions regarding enforcement--are a manifestation of this phenomenon.1 Al-though signing statements originated in the Monroe Administration, (2) Presi-dents rarely used them as a policy tool before the mid-twentieth century. (3) Later, in the 1980s, signing statements became a staple of executive branch practice in the Reagan Administration and, since then, "have increasingly been utilized by Presidents to raise constitutional or interpretive objections to congressional enactments." (4) This phenomenon went largely unnoticed until the George W. Bush Administration. President Bush, while not deviating dramatically from his immediate predecessors in terms of the number of signing statements issued, challenged far more provisions of law with these statements, especially on constitutional grounds.

www.questia.com...

Executive orders and signing statements seem to give the President an awful amount of control don't you think?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

Time to bury Al Gore!

In snow!

He was, kinda at the Sundance film festival, promoting his new film an inconvenient sequel.

youtu.be...

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
We pay for publicly funded science - and it is just science. How politicians and other people might spin it is something else.

As far as "standard business practice" goes - the Big Boyz compete for Patents and Intellectual Property Rights, and demand full confidentiality. But WE pay for this research and have a right to know what it is, and what the results are.

As far as other nations "stealing" our research results - gimme a break! For decades we paid for research with our tax dollars - then paid AGAIN because Big Pharma and other corporations took ownership. From us. For work that WE paid for! ...AND - for-profit corporations put their products on the open market for anyone to reverse engineer. Nobody, nowhere ever has any more than a 6 month head start. Red herring!

And yeah, I support Open Access. That's been on my avatar for almost 16 years. No secret. I think it's important. And I for sure do NOT support us paying for research to benefit for-profit corporations and not we-the-people.

~ sofi

edit on 25/1/17 by soficrow because: wording

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Get ready for more post-truth alt-facts. Again.

Now that the replies have came in explaining why this is so, what have you got to say now?

edit on 25-1-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join