It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remington Arms Quality: What the Hell is Going On?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

There is a brand loyalty. But there is a lot of regulations that limit the kinds of modifications that would be required for that kind of reengineering. At that level registration with the federal government as a manufacturer would be required as the modification needed would in many cases alter the firearm beyond its original design scope. These alterations would be beyond the scope of standard gunsmithing practices.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

So you would have to have a CNC machine and CAD gear and what not, not to mention the permits necessary... Interesting. I find it amusing that it would be considered "alter from design specification" since the specification of any item is to perform its intended purpose, rather than to perform regardless of how shoddy the design might be!
edit on 27-1-2017 by TrueBrit because: grammatical error

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The ATF tends to get involved once you start redesigning the engineering specs of firearms.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

That is both utterly understandable, and also a great shame.

Imagine how much otherwise wasted material resource, could actually become functional under the careful ministrations of tinkerers and hobbyists with the correct tooling otherwise! I am a very big fan of returning things which have been either worn out, or badly built, to a functional state. There is something very rewarding, psychologically speaking, about succeeding in such ventures, hell, just being involved with them.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

It's not impossible to do it's just regulated.

Some regulations on it are kind of ridiculous.

However, a lot of modifications can be made to improve performance or even to change aesthetics.

Right now I'm building up a Ruger 10/22 bullpup rifle as my backpacking around the desert gun. Requires no ATF involvement or registration to do as long as the overall length is 26 inches.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Now this is something that interests me greatly...

The length of the gun... I take it that it must be no less than 26 inches, because otherwise it would be too easily concealed or hidden? Is that the thinking?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

It's actually pretty arbitrary. There are so many different rules when it comes to lengths of rifles and barrels in particular.

It does not appear to me that concealment has much to do with it since handguns exist.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Recall on Remington 700 rifles is now in effect.
www.cbsnews.com...

When will enough be enough?

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

Quality Control or Quality Assurance? two different things

Not knowing Remington in the UK at all apart from shaving units (microscreen i think it was called) way back in the 70's or 80's, do you have any examples of the "Quality Control" issues so i can review.

UK Remington hair clippers are shocking, iv got a big beard and iv broke 2 pairs of Remington's on it just keeping it trimmed up tidy lol

sorry I cant add to the gun talk, its yet another down side of being British
edit on 20-2-2017 by TigStar82 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2017 by TigStar82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Vxn and True Brit,

When it comes to ATF regulations, there's a huge gulf between what it's legal to do to and for your own personal guns if you're doing the work and what you can do for someone else.

I routinely and frequently manufacture whole custom parts and etc for my guns, including stuff that just is not commercially available. I also home brew my own versions of ridiculously priced aftermarket parts.

I take care to go nowhere close to doing something that would require a new ATF determination letter, and thus I can say with some authority that there's a massive amount of latitude inside those bounds.

I now have several items I'm intending to submit to ATF, but due to legal system quirks I would be stupid to do so before securing IP protections...

Basically, it's a system designed specifically to be onerous, create opportunities for every kind of theft by federal employees, keep American innovators and innovations non competitive, and create catch 22's that potentially open you up to malicious prosecution.

To say it's anything other than this would be fallacy, and the heighth of stupidity.

PS. Vx if you need help with your pup let me know, I am kinda a bullpup guy and know some tricks that can be immensely helpful.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Remington ruined their own reputation ever since Freedom group bought them out, now they claim it's somehow connected to a Trump presidency that they are having layoffs? What a joke.

Remington Outdoor Co. has laid off more than 120 workers at an upstate New York factory in response to falling demand for firearms, dealing a blow to an upstate village of 8,000.

Since Donald Trump’s presidential victory eased concerns about stiffer gun laws, the small-arms industry has seen a drop in sales. As a result, orders for Remington handguns have slowed, a company spokeswoman said Monday. That is “a dynamic from which Remington is not immune,” she said of the industry challenges.

The March 8 layoffs are a hit for Ilion, N.Y., where Remington has operated a plant since the 19th century, said Terry Leonard, mayor of the village located about 60 miles east of Syracuse.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It's not just Remington, my employer purchased 12 Ruger rifles recently and they were crap out of the box. Fit and finish was terrible, misfeeds, and one that liked to fire out of battery. Luckily I'm pretty handy with a file and scotch brite. I have never seen firearms come from the factory with slag left in the action like these were. I talked with a tech from ruger and he told me that this was not uncommon anymore. It amazing that any company would let a product out the door with any potential for there to be a safety flaw. I will just say that I am glad I have a finely crafted piece of German technology as my primary weapon because I can say that I am confident that I have no confidence in the American technology in my trunk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join