It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions of Dimensions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Is it possible that, by moving in the 5+ dimension, you could exceed the speed of light?

Also, I have another idea to throw onto the pile of possible 4th dimensions:
Backwards Time

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If you traveled in a higher dimension you would not be traveling FTL, the distances in hyperspace is far shorter than in normal space.

There is a fourth spatial dimension, most people consider the fourth dimension to be time.

In theory there is a second temporal dimension in which you could communicate through time, but not travel.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
i always thought time was the 4th dimension.
what makes you say the 4th is a spatial dimension?
arent time and space inexorably linked anyhow?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Because there are more than four spatial dimensions thats why.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by cruzion
i always thought time was the 4th dimension.

No, that theory didn't really hold up to well. Not to say that it is entirely incorrect really, but more along the lines of just not being complete. It doesn't satisfy all the areas needed to be correct. It works within certain examples though.

what makes you say the 4th is a spatial dimension?

Well, depending upon how you're using the word "dimension", you are in fact talking about space.

di·men·sion (dĭ-mĕn'shən, dī-) pronunciation
n.
1. A measure of spatial extent, especially width, height, or length.
2. Physics - A physical property, such as mass, length, time, or a combination thereof, regarded as a fundamental measure or as one of a set of fundamental measures of a physical quantity: (Velocity has the dimensions of length divided by time.)

arent time and space inexorably linked anyhow?

Usually, yes.
One way to think of it is that they, (Space & Time), are different methods of measurement that can be used in place of each other, or more like in combination with each other. Similar to the example above in the definition: (Velocity = Length / Time)

For example:
From my house to the corner is 100ft. Distance
From my house to the corner is 1 Minute. Time
They are both true when used as a measurement in relation to my velocity. At a certain velocity it takes me 1 minute to go 100 ft., however, changing the velocity will then change the time value, while the distance remains. At the same time, if I am wanting to see how far I can go in 1 min. then the velocity value then alters the Distance value.

I know it's kind of a stupid example but I think you get the idea without getting too long and complicated.

EDIT: or more like in combination with each other.
EDIT #2: Here is another link you might like!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
[edit on 30-1-2005 by mOjOm]

[edit on 30-1-2005 by mOjOm]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
If you traveled in a higher dimension you would not be traveling FTL, the distances in hyperspace is far shorter than in normal space.

what do you mean by "higher dimension" and "hyperspace"? If you traveled outside our 3 spacial dimensions why would this affect your position in 3d space? If you tavel in the foreward/backward dimension this dosen't affect your up/down or left/right position.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   
When you refer to hyperspace, is this the same kind of theory as a hypercube? That's the model used to explain the fourth dimension to me.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Hyperspace is the space within higher dimensions.
I dont know the exact reason why, but when traveling in hyperspace you go farther than traveling in normal space, you open windows/gateways into hyperspace and open one back into normal space.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
What I meant about backwards time is, that if the extra dimension is time, another time based dimension could be time going the other direction. It's just like how we can escape the constraints of the first and second dimension with the third, we can escape the dimension of forward time with the dimension of backwards time.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris
What I meant about backwards time is, that if the extra dimension is time, another time based dimension could be time going the other direction. It's just like how we can escape the constraints of the first and second dimension with the third, we can escape the dimension of forward time with the dimension of backwards time.

I would be more likely to beleive a second temporal dimension would allow for quantum realities rather then simply a reversal of our time.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Theoreticly there is a second temporal dimension, in theory time moves backwards forwards slower and faster, of course you could not travel through it, you could send communication i.e. radiowaves through it.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris
Is it possible that, by moving in the 5+ dimension, you could exceed the speed of light?

Also, I have another idea to throw onto the pile of possible 4th dimensions:
Backwards Time

Okay... no offense, but (as I found out) non-mathemeticians often have the wrong idea of what a dimension is. You see, there's more than three (or four) dimensions, and we use them all the time.

A dimension is an attribute that describes something. So we can have an object and we know its x, y, and z coordinates, right? We also know WHEN it exists... and that's the fouth dimension.

Other dimensions can be added to it. You could add color, for example, and now your object has five dimensions.

THIS is what is meant by a dimension. Not "another weird direction in space." You could certainly add a "q' and label it "a direction we can't exactly see but know is there."

You use matrix algebras to work with hyperdimensional space, and yes, mathemeticians use these tools to describe black holes and other things.

So "dimension" doesn't always mean another direction. And "backwards in time" is just a property of the "time" dimension.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The 4th dimension can be represented as a hyperspace. In fact that is a part of the newest theories on the subject. You can't look at a single dimension without looking at another. Look at 2d and compare it to the 3rd. In which directions can you travel in only two dimensions(it would be like a tube, only foward and backward motion). Then compare it to the third(full x,y,z travel). Now compare the 3d concept to 4th. If i passed through your 3d world I would appear as maybe sphere like shapes or cross sections. Much like if I put my hand on to a 2d plane the beings that inhabit it (being 2d) would only see cross sections of my hand and I would appear as changing spheres as my hand passed through.

join