It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brace Yourselves, Jobs are Coming!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: OrganizedChaos

Yup, that was my point.

Quantity doesn't equal quality.

A prime example regarding my earlier posts is Wal-Mart, the largest employer in the nation.

The owners are now billionaires (many times over).

How did they make that fortune? By having over 80% of their workforce subsidized by welfare and food stamps so that those at the top could keep taking home all those billions. Yet still we hear, "we can't raise the minimum wage or we'll have to raise prices". Yes, for corporations to keep up their exorbitant top-end salaries they would definitely have to raise prices, but it has very little to do with raising the minimum wage.

In fairness, Wal-Mart has recently implemented plans to raise the wages of their avg. worker, but there's still a long way to go.

The key to ending the welfare state is to incentivize companies to fairly compensate their workers on their own, and a cap to the CEO:Avg. Employee compensation-ratio is the only method I can think of that still allows for a "free market/sky's the limit" feel. The more you compensate your employees, the more you're free to take off the top.
edit on 1/25/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Yes perfectly... do you?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: WorShip

Worst was the bathroom nonsense.

It was like distracting a dumb child by waving car keys in front of them.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The arguments that a CEO is not overpaid is BS.
It's common sense that a business "should" spend X amount of dollars in reinvesting in the company and part of this includes "some" wage reinvestment in worker retention. Instead over the past 20 years profits have been skimmed by the top heavy corporations and the workforce in many cases switched from permanent workers to easily swapped out Temps.

The initial thinking was that this produced an "agile" workforce that was more responsive to changing "just in time" supply orders.

A CEO can make a nice living on 400,000 dollars just as well as 700,00 dollars. But Boards of directors got greedy. Enough was never enough.

Now 30 years later we're seeing the results of this shortsighted tainted business model. Critical shortages of trades people who can actually make and fix things, kids who were steered towards white collar jobs and indoctrinated that actual hands on work is beneath them.

No one is going to care, but in my family everyone is white collar but me & my son.
We have been bucking the trend despite societal opinion and family pressure of "why don't you find something easier to do"? Not everyone is suited to "cube-farms" however and most on this forum never knew or lived thru the hard fought battles Union Labor fought for people to have a decent wage, reasonable working hours and safer working conditions.

This was before the Unions went rogue and became a joke.
The legacy of OSHA, of the Mine Safety ect didn't just happen by themselves. In fact most of you wouldn't even get a lunch break in your office jobs had it not been for Labor fighting for decent working conditions.

So yeah....you can be "cream of the crop" work up the chain to CEO yet still be radically overpaid for the position. Without the workers under you, your skills are still useless because ultimately a CEO produces no product, they can only "facilitate".

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

This pipeline will create... wait for it.... 34 permanent jobs.

All the rest....
Temporary .

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Oh well you'll get over that anger.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: JinMI

This pipeline will create... wait for it.... 34 permanent jobs.

All the rest....
Temporary .

You don't seem to understand the way steel processes work huh. Back to twitter with you knave(ette).

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

The Secretary of Commerce, in consultation with all relevant executive departments and agencies, shall develop a plan under which all new pipelines, as well as retrofitted, repaired, or expanded pipelines, inside the borders of the United States, including portions of pipelines, use materials and equipment produced in the United States, to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law.

By Executive Order

Fire up the forges and loose the casting sand! Big implications for the economy by making the steel from forge to consumer all made in the U.S.A.

I wonder if this will apply to the wall announcement that is reportedly scheduled for tomorrow.

Certainly showing some mettle.

Or throwing the first punch in a trade war that will see every other country putting up their own retaliatory protectionist measures? Big implications for the economy, indeed.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

Good. Every country should be looking out for their own workers, from America to Zambia.
edit on -060005am1kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

It would be a very small punch. Keep in mind this only applies to the DAPL for now.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
But they will have a hard time finding people to fill those jobs if Trump kicks out all the illegal immigrants. The new generation wants to sit behind a compuiter monitor or go to college to get a job where they don't have to do manual labor.

It's cold outside there. There are bugs too.

Define the "new generation."

I have a college graduate, adult son who upon graduating in 2012 into the worst economy since the 30s despite my promise four years earlier that an early-recessionary period was the best time to head to college because by graduation, the economy would be on an uptick (it wasn't), went into the gas field for an hourly wage less than Seattle's minimum wage of $15/hour, and worked 80-90 hour weeks, in elements ranging from -10 to 100 degree days of either blazing sun, rain, sleet, snow, hail, wind or humidity, with inadequate hard shell protection, ending each shift raw and weary to the bone and stained with filth, dust, grease, bruises, and sometimes injury while eating for days on end only what could be shoved into the pockets of his canvas overhauls when purchased at the only stop of the day the van made--a convenience store.

Is that the new generation which you and gobs of others disparage based both on buttercup videos that get the light of day, and false labels strewn about by MSM referencing "millennials"?

This is the same son who having forgotten to change his voter registration from his campus address to his home address, drove 200 miles each way to honor his civic duty to vote.

Yeah, this new generation is something to fear.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

You are right, CEOs salaries are outrageous, while the American worker was substitute for oversea slave workers.

Is like congress, they had gotten fat and lazy while the lobbyist fill their pockets with money so they turn their head the other way while the lobbyist from those same CEOs companies rob the American workers with their manufactured for the benefit of private corporations bills becomes laws.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

I have two children that are in the new generation, but me as a mother raised them to be productive members in society and to be self-sufficient.

Right now is talking on a hold on the H1 B visas, those visas has taken a lot of our college graduates their chance for a competitive job.

I never truly understood why we needed to bring foreign workers while we were losing good pay jobs for college graduates.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

You, my man, are on fire in this thread.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: VinylTyrant

Now who is going to write up the bill?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Most of corporate America has no idea that it was the unions whom they have to thank for MOST of their perks.
Carpenter's union is why we have a weekend as standard time off across the board.

Also, like you point out, lunch and vacation pay.
I won't name it all here but if anyone's interested as to why we don't work mandatory sunup-sundown, 6-7 day work weeks, look no further than organized trade.

A CEO-worker percentage mandate sounds like an extremely fair way to get salary increases in a capitalist society.

It would be very hard to hammer out the numbers but it's a great avenue to begin exploration into what to do.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: VinylTyrant

Now who is going to write up the bill?
what Bill?

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I never been an angry person, I am one of the happiest person to be around with.

But keep it real and that may sound to some that do not know me sound angry.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

Absolutely.

Now, if you go back and read (without letting yourself get so triggered), then you'll see that I wasn't citing Obama's job growth record as a compliment. As I've said, "quantity does not equal quality". That 75 month streak of job growth hasn't done much for improving the health and well being of the middle-class.

This thread is about jobs, not the national debt; so, try to keep your delicate sensibilities in check, clear your head, and stay on topic.

If you'd like to discuss Obama's undoubtedly abysmal debt record, then feel free to start your own thread about it, or at least compose a post that actually ties it in with the topic at hand.
edit on 1/25/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: EightAhoy

originally posted by: rickymouse
But they will have a hard time finding people to fill those jobs if Trump kicks out all the illegal immigrants. The new generation wants to sit behind a compuiter monitor or go to college to get a job where they don't have to do manual labor.

It's cold outside there. There are bugs too.

Define the "new generation."

I have a college graduate, adult son who upon graduating in 2012 into the worst economy since the 30s despite my promise four years earlier that an early-recessionary period was the best time to head to college because by graduation, the economy would be on an uptick (it wasn't), went into the gas field for an hourly wage less than Seattle's minimum wage of $15/hour, and worked 80-90 hour weeks, in elements ranging from -10 to 100 degree days of either blazing sun, rain, sleet, snow, hail, wind or humidity, with inadequate hard shell protection, ending each shift raw and weary to the bone and stained with filth, dust, grease, bruises, and sometimes injury while eating for days on end only what could be shoved into the pockets of his canvas overhauls when purchased at the only stop of the day the van made--a convenience store.

Is that the new generation which you and gobs of others disparage based both on buttercup videos that get the light of day, and false labels strewn about by MSM referencing "millennials"?

This is the same son who having forgotten to change his voter registration from his campus address to his home address, drove 200 miles each way to honor his civic duty to vote.

There is something wrong with our economy when someone working in those gas fields under those conditions gets the same pay as someone working at McDs. Everyone getting the fifteen dollars minimum wage means that inflation of stuff you buy locally makes the hard workers money worth less. The system that is being created is not fair. Someone who works really hard and has worse working conditions should be paid more. Just because someone sits behind a desk and types on a computer and gets Carpel Tunnel doesn;t mean it is a risky job. I worked building houses and remodeling and liked to work on the job with my workers. I worked out on houses in the middle of winter. I worked on road construction for a summer too, out by the steaming pavement being laid. I had one of the worst cases of carpel Tunnel the doctor had seen, he complained his office girl had nothing compared to me and she complained all the time. I told him it was kind of nice when you couldn't feel pain, but at night it sucked when the ache came. I just would work longer so I was dead tired and couldn't be woken up by the pain at night.

I know what you say. The problem is that the gas buisiness is competitive and the gas has to be sold all over, in some areas with a lower cost of living that fifteen bucks is much more lucritive. Up here, a job paying fifteen bucks an hour would be a good paying job. Especially if you could get a lot of hours if you wanted them. But if you were getting fifteen bucks an hour at McDs, then why would you want to go freeze your butt all day.

The liberal way of thinking is not right. We need those gas field jobs and the workers deserve a better wage than someone sitting behind a desk pushing a pencil. I agree with you on this and also see that their passing that high minimum wage was very bad for some people.
Yeah, this new generation is something to fear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join