It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Current War: First Shot of Benedict Cumberpatch as Thomas Edison. Nicholas Hoult as Nikola Tesla

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: digital01anarchy
Yes and when tesla built a tower that could transmit electricity at far distances and couldnt be regulated for profit westinghouse shut it down and canned tesla. Tesla was trying to help the world he was a different breed of man. However he did come up with a deathray that could be used my the military "they never took him up on the offer" and tesla died pennyless and forgotten. Side note teslas house was raided after his death and his work siezed. Some of it is still probably considered top secret. Tesla was the real deal and probably smarter then albert Einstein by a long shot

All that is some posthumous glorification of a man, while brilliant, who built on other people's work but due to his poor business acumen gut out hustled by more ruthless people.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So because he sucked in monetizing his accomplishments and lived in a hotel..
He sucked... in everything he did.

Either you have an ignorance beyond your intelligence, or you have an agenda to smear a briljant mind.

And for a history student...
It was quite normal in those days for unmarried man to live in some kind of hospital , "hotel" or other serviced facility.

Tesla may not be the magician some people call him... But you are going on a way ...
That makes me ( opinion ) wonder even more.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN
a reply to: reldra

if you like his movies, why would you prefer him to do less?

I think I stated why. It was very difficult to schedule the last Sherlock series and the BBC has not promised there will be more. If there will only be other than Sherlock content, I am sure I will be fine though.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant
So because he sucked in monetizing his accomplishments and lived in a hotel..
He sucked... in everything he did.

Stop being passive aggressive, I said no such thing.

It was quite normal in those days for unmarried man to live in some kind of hospital , "hotel" or other serviced facility.

He did not live in a hospital, he lived in the largest luxury hotel in the world at that time.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

You are cherry picking.
Maybe you should apply for a job with the MSM.

He liked to be well dressed, he had a descent upbringing.

But not being able to monetize your inventions OR improvements ...

Is no reason to smear the mans accomplishments.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Ok, so he lived like that.

What does it change his work ?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
maybe this will settle it

In other words, it’s a total myth that “Tesla Died Penniless.” He was living in a suite of rooms in a downtown NYC hotel, and still paying many warehouses for storing his lifetime collection of equipment and writings. The truth was that Tesla did have nearly zero income, and would have ended up homeless if not for the $100,000/year that a foreign government decided to supply, seeing he was their national hero and all.

www.quora.com...

explains the room
nearly zero income

hope it helps

let's not argue over a dead man
its been done before

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

He liked to be well dressed...

Which costs money. Money he made from his work.

But not being able to monetize your inventions OR improvements ...

He did monetize them. He just lost them due to his bad business decisions.

Is no reason to smear the mans accomplishments.

Stop being passive aggressive, no one smeared his accomplishments.

edit on 24-1-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Nothing. It just changes your false trope of the aesthete inventor with no interest in money.

He liked money just as much as the next person. He just sucked at business.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

So you are actually attacking his taste of clothes ? Whoohahaha
While the people around them became billionaires...

Also you are accusing a researcher of not being able to make good business decisions ( exactly what is wrong with society )
People a different, and have qualities in different subjects. Thats why inventions are done by the lunatics and the money is made by the sociopaths.

I'm not being passive aggressive , i'm being actively aggressive because every time Tesla is being mentioned on ATS some big Guns are showing up to demonize his accomplishments.

I see a pattern.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yes and when tesla built a tower that could transmit electricity at far distances and couldnt be regulated for profit westinghouse shut it down and canned tesla. Tesla was trying to help the world he was a different breed of man. However he did come up with a deathray that could be used my the military "they never took him up on the offer" and tesla died pennyless and forgotten. Side note teslas house was raided after his death and his work siezed. Some of it is still probably considered top secret. Tesla was the real deal and probably smarter then albert Einstein by a long shot

All that is some posthumous glorification of a man, while brilliant, who built on other people's work but due to his poor business acumen gut out hustled by more ruthless people.

Well i guess your correct and yes some people have built him up my self included but i highly doubt all of his inventions can be considered plagiarized or on the backs of others. That statement would be very false too make. However the question still remains on old albert also a prodigy but his whole stint at the patent office brings just how much was completely him into question.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

So you are actually attacking his taste of clothes ? Whoohahaha

I could not care what he wore, I think you have some sort of serious reading comprehension issue. The fact that he liked nice clothes, that cost money, means he needed money. Which he got from his work.

Also you are accusing a researcher of not being able to make good business decisions...

He was also a business owner, a very bad one, besides being an inventor.

I'm not being passive aggressive , i'm being actively aggressive because every time Tesla is being mentioned on ATS some big Guns are showing up to demonize his accomplishments.

Oh, boo-hoo. You'll get over it.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

to demonize his accomplishments.

this has become about his finances
it's largely his government that kept him in that hotel

whether he loved money...? no one here ever met him
so it's all opinion

an opinion

He liked money just as much as the next person

- Augustus

edit on 24-1-2017 by kibric because: boo

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Nothing. It just changes your false trope of the aesthete inventor with no interest in money.

He liked money just as much as the next person. He just sucked at business.

Yeah when people burn your lab to the ground with all your new inventions and you have to start over from its bad for business usually.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Well i guess your correct and yes some people have built him up my self included but i highly doubt all of his inventions can be considered plagiarized or on the backs of others.

His most notable work, that in AC power, was based on other's work and the AC motor was invented by someone else first, he just made a practical version.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Yeah when people burn your lab to the ground with all your new inventions and you have to start over from its bad for business usually.

He made poor business decisions prior to the 1895 fire.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Boo-hoo ... Nice one, i have to remember that for my next discussion i can not win.

But what is your point exactly ?

So far i get this:

He was a money hunter
He liked nice clothes
He did not own a mansion or a house
He stole other peoples inventions and added nothing
He sucked in business

Tell me, student in history, what did I miss ?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Phew,ok. So long as you're not troubled over it.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

He was a money hunter

Yup, he was. He lived in a luxury hotel and dined at Delmonico's and the Waldorf nightly, just like other poor people.

Hell, he spent $2,000 to rehab a pigeon. Where did he get that? Did the money just magic itself into his bank account? That's over $20,000 (at minimum) in today's money. Do you have $20,000 to rehab a flying cockroach?

edit on 24-1-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

He liked money just as much as the next person

I like when people show their true nature, everything becomes so human like in appearance.
--
Tesla was brilliant, he mastered both the metaphysical parts and the materialistic and was a creator of his own kindred.

Ever seen a God give toys to humans, they never use it for good.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join