It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump bans EPA employees from giving social media updates

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

How is this unusual exactly? Doesn't every employer have this policy? It's kinda why the have position specifically designated to deal with the public

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
He's restricting free speech. It's wrong. Looks like he's trying to make it a State-run media. Scary times

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
They will still defend it sadly. This is so UN-American..... American people have the right to know what happens

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
He's restricting free speech. It's wrong. Looks like he's trying to make it a State-run media. Scary times

No more so than the government has for pretty much the entire duration of it's existence. As far back as I can remember, and as far back as anybody I've ever spoken with, if you work for the government then what you say in the name of the government is subject to control by your employer.

ETA - what we're talking about here is what's being put out by EPA social media accounts, or under the EPA's name. We're not talking about Joe Smith being able to go home and post whatever he wants on his personal facebook page. We're talking about Joe Smith logging in to the EPA official facebook page and posting something.
edit on 24-1-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
You are correct, this is exactly what happens in state-run places like North Korea, China etc
a reply to: EchoesInTime

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
So the Twitter in Chief only wants his approved social media legitimized.

And still his supporters make excuses.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Don has ordered blackouts for USDA as well

and its not just twitter, its all media
edit on 24-1-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
For people not happy with the OP's source, here's Breitbart instead.

First the NPS, now the EPA. It's one thing to spank employees who treat the social media accounts like their own personal platform, but what is to be gained by shuttering ones that aren't being used as such? Other than iron-fisted control?

How many government branches will be "blacked out" before people start going, "Huh, this is getting a little funky here, what's wrong with this picture in the land of the free?"
edit on 1/24/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Trump should ban himself from twitter LOL

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
Don has ordered blackouts for USDA as well

and its not just twitter, its all media

Make that 3 then. We're starting the year & his presidency out on such a wonderfully transparent, totally freedom-gaga note, aren't we?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The EPA has been under scrutiny for decades since they became more of an influenced by private interest agency than government due to government cuts for then to work efficiently.

Hell I remember posting here a few years back about their corruption, when the became under scrutiny, but nothing came out of it.

It is funny that people scream foul play and lost of "Free speech", but for me the wife of a government employee I am very well aware that my husband is ban or very well coerced into not posting in any social media due to the nature of his job.

In my husband line of work he will lose his security clearance and his very well pay job.

I can not wait to see what they found the EPA doing, that they have not been doing for decades since they became corrupted.

edit on 24-1-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

since you enjoy such unrestrained free speech, why don't you start an account here with your work email, and have your name be your employer? Then get to posting pictures of you do on a daily basis. Can't do that? Congrats, neither can the rest of the world.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

stop it, just stop it Marge, quit trying to keep your cheeto faced savior almighty in your eyes. Admit when he's wrong and enlighten his good qualities.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

since you enjoy such unrestrained free speech, why don't you start an account here with your work email, and have your name be your employer? Then get to posting pictures of you do on a daily basis. Can't do that? Congrats, neither can the rest of the world.

I don't know what sort of idiot rant that was but...good luck to you and your life

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The amount of hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

If nobody's using the account as their personal opinion pad, there's no problem. If somebody's using the account for their personal opinion pad and the company contract says "Nope, not doing that on ours" then there's a problem. Fire them if the clause so exists, but is there really a NEED to gag everything, even if no one screwed up?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Trump is a good man. The EPA is a bad organization or at least hasn't done a good job so hopefully he will straighten them out.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
For people not happy with the OP's source, here's Breitbart instead.

First the NPS, now the EPA. It's one thing to spank employees who treat the social media accounts like their own personal platform, but what is to be gained by shuttering ones that aren't being used as such? Other than iron-fisted control?

How many government branches will be "blacked out" before people start going, "Huh, this is getting a little funky here, what's wrong with this picture in the land of the free?"

"What's wrong with this picture" is everybody blissfully ignoring the phrase "under the agency's name." That's policy for most employers I'm aware of and every level of government agency from local to federal.

"What's wrong with this picture" is the rush some (many?) have to crap over anything and everything they can, even if it means they have to manufacture it, when it comes to Trump.

I've never in my life had any agency I worked for that allowed people to post whatever they felt like posting in the name of the agency. Ever. Period.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
They cannot talk to congress or any media outlets, reporters, its not just social media
edit on 24-1-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Go two damn posts up, Sham.
edit on 1/24/2017 by Nyiah because: dammit, this laptop needs a new keyboard yesterday.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join