It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump bans EPA employees from giving social media updates

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

President Trump has banned employees of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from giving social media updates and speaking with reporters, according to The Associated Press.

The EPA ban comes amid other reports of agency staff being restricted from interacting the members of the Congress or the general public.

BuzzFeed reported Tuesday that the Department of Agriculture instituted a similar ban, telling its employees not to distribute information about research papers or to post on Twitter under the agency's name. A Tuesday report in the Huffington Post said agency employees under the Department of Health and Human Services were told not to speak to public officials.

SOURCE

I seriously doubt even the most ardent Trump supporter on this forum will support this move. I would think that everyone on this forum would support free speech for all Americans. At the same time, we should never underestimate Trump supporter's ability to bend their values in order to support their leader. The fact that this story wasn't posted until now may be an example of that.

I take the story linked above as an ominous sign. It seems like the type of thing a tyrant would do.

I hope Trump supporters will be willing to be unbiased enough to occasionally criticize Trump. I haven't seen that happening enough yet.
edit on 24-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Buzzed and Huffington post huh.

Bastians of integrity.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

“They’re trying to freeze things to make sure nothing happens they don’t want to have happen, so any regulations going forward, contracts, grants, hires, they want to make sure to look at them first,” Ebell told ProPublica.

The Hill

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Buzzfeed huh?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

edit on 24-1-2017 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Well the AP is running it and says they've seen the emails.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said Tuesday he had no information on the blackout. He said aides were looking into the circumstances. Doug Ericksen, the communications director for Trump's transition team at EPA, said he expects the communications ban to be lifted by the end of this week. "We're just trying to get a handle on everything and make sure what goes out reflects the priorities of the new administration," Ericksen said.

AP article

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
My question is, did Obama or past presidents do the same? I'm curious if this is another "patriots day" smear.

Obviously any incoming administration is going to want to see what the previous put in motion. A freeze makes sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Having trouble verifying the "sources".

Anything "official" yet ?

I bet the employees are going nuts on their own private accounts !!

Anything ??

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure lots of business prevent employees from using social media concerning their company. I can't post facebook updates or tweets concerning official company business. I'd be fired. But I have my own personal accounts.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

OK, that makes sense.

Make sure there are no ongoing previous administration shenanigans going on.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: PlasticWizard

Obviously any incoming administration is going to want to see what the previous put in motion. A freeze makes sense.

Especially with bitter jealous former Obama people in there.

No telling what they'll do.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

I know everybody poops on Snopes, but they have some quotes that are germane:

One EPA employee aware of the freeze said he had never seen anything like it in nearly a decade with the agency. Hiring freezes happened, he said, but freezes on grants and contracts seemed extraordinary. The employee said the freeze appeared to be nationwide, and as of Monday night it was not clear for how long it would be in place.

So on the one hand, you have an unnamed employee saying it's unprecedented.

Myron Ebell, who ran the EPA transition for the incoming administration, confirmed the basics of the freeze, but said the actions were not unprecedented. “They’re trying to freeze things to make sure nothing happens they don’t want to have happen, so any regulations going forward, contracts, grants, hires, they want to make sure to look at them first,” said Ebell, who returned over the weekend to his position directing energy and global warming policy at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a free-market, industry-aligned group that has long fought the EPA’s growth and influence.

Then you have the guy that ran the agency transition saying it's not unprecedented.

I would expect that a different administration would want to make sure the agency is doing what they want it to do, so I don't think that's unprecedented. What remains to be seen is the scope and depth. In my opinion, anyway.

+6 more 
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
I seriously doubt even the most ardent Trump supporter on this forum will support this move. I would think that everyone on this forum would support free speech for all Americans.

Dude ... no government employee is allowed to express what you're suggesting. These agencies all have a PAO that expresses their goals and activities.

Huffpo and the BuzzyBeavises know this full well. Their well-crafted disinformation practices are designed to get the weak-minded all worked up and butt-hurt. You can barely filter anything of relevance from a left-wing hit piece. Best not to follow their click-bait links.

+3 more 
link   
I seem to recall being told by members of this site that Trump would be the most transparent president ever. He's certainly off to a good start.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
""We're just trying to get a handle on everything and make sure what goes out reflects the priorities of the new administration," Ericksen said.

Let me get this straight, the new administration banned free speech to an organization until they comply to what they want to portray (not the facts) and Ericksen is admitting this?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
A government-wide ban on social media might be indication of a national emergency !!

Could be some plot has been discovered !!

Trust but verify.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Having trouble verifying the "sources".

Anything "official" yet ?

I bet the employees are going nuts on their own private accounts !!

Anything ??

I know you're selective about what comments you pay attention to, but stop being disingenuous. I provided a quote from both the White House spokesman and the communications director. Or are they not good enough sources?

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said Tuesday he had no information on the blackout. He said aides were looking into the circumstances. Doug Ericksen, the communications director for Trump's transition team at EPA, said he expects the communications ban to be lifted by the end of this week.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I seem to recall being told by members of this site that Trump would be the most transparent president ever. He's certainly off to a good start.

Your memory is correct.

And Trump is announcing all this as verified right?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

OK, that makes sense.

Make sure there are no ongoing previous administration shenanigans going on.

Pretty much what it sounds like. They don't want the agencies continuing to spout the previous "party line." Couple with the comment Snarl made, that government employees aren't supposed to be using government social media accounts without approval anyway. The key phrase in all this is "under the agency's name."

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Because bias is more comfortable than the truth. I wonder how long excuses are going to be made...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join