It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life, but not as we know it - Semisynthetic organism made with three-base-pair DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So life can be synthesized (or at least semi-synthesized). And I love that last bit: "all of life's processes can be subject to manipulation."

imho - 'Tis hubris to think that we might be the only ones doing the manipulating.

Life, but not as we know it: Scientists engineer first semisynthetic organism with three-base-pair DNA

Researchers at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) claim to have created the first stable semisynthetic organism with extra bases added to its genetic code. The single-celled organism is also able to continually replicate the synthetic base pair as it divides, which could mean that future synthetic organisms may be able to carry extra genetic information in their DNA sequences indefinitely.

…."We've made this semisynthetic organism more life-like," said Professor Floyd Romesberg, senior author of the new study. "We can now get the light of life to stay on. That suggests that all of life's processes can be subject to manipulation."

edit on 24/1/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Did it take semi-intelligence to create this or are we talking intelligent beings bringing this about :>) I hear that copying someone is the best form of flattery . scared yet ?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Did it take semi-intelligence to create this or are we talking intelligent beings bringing this about :>) I hear that copying someone is the best form of flattery . scared yet ?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

But can they make me young again?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hermit777

Keep drinking the caffeine - it protects your teleomere caps.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Meant to Add this is a Good Article Thank you.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Hermit777

Keep drinking the caffeine - it protects your teleomere caps.

I am and i needed the chuckle Thank you

And Smoking Ciggs to Retard Memory things and Schizophrenia. I have learned so much today Thank you for all these Good Science Articles

edit on 24-1-2017 by Hermit777 because: added kudows

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Hermit777

Thank you too.

top topics

join