It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linda McMahon, who built a wrestling powerhouse, could face a tough bout in Senate hearing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Actually, she and Vince Jr. helped Vince Sr. establish Capitol Wrestling, which later became the WWE. They purchased it when Vince Sr. retired.

As for crushing small business, I'm sorry but it really doesn't work like you seem to think it does. When I ran my drafting service, I 'crushed' some smaller businesses, too. I didn't set out to do that, but I offered superior service at a comparable price. From my viewpoint, they just couldn't keep up.

All successful businesses do that. They offer something better than their competitors. Those who don't, fail.

I will add that I see a huge difference between competition and unfair competition, like that Walmart uses to drive competition out of small towns. I consider that unfair, because Walmart intentionally targets small competitors and takes losses in many instances to destroy the market, knowing they can survive and their competitors can't. But just offering a better deal? Sorry, that's just business.

Oh, and just so you know... the early wrestling franchises were fixing prices before Capitol Wrestling moved in. The owners had split the country into zones and allocated these zones to different franchises. Linda McMahon and family stopped that practice.

TheRedneck

edit on 1/24/2017 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

That would be mighty impressive for Vince and Linda to help found Capitol Wrestling. He was only 8 at the time and she was 5.

Capitol Wrestling was the brainchild of Vince's grandfather Jess and his business partner Toots Mondt and was founded in 1953. It then became the WWWF 10 years later. Like I said, when they bought the company it was already very successful and hardly a small business. They then proceeded to buy out as much of their competition as possible. They were so aggressive with this strategy that in 1985 they were actually on the verge of going out of business.They ended up putting all their eggs in one basket with the original WrestleMania. If it ended up being a failure the company would have had to fold.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I didn't say they founded it. I said they helped establish it.

Vince Jr. Is credited with consolidating (you can call it "buying up" if you want, technically true) the wrestling franchises, against his father's judgement. Capitol Wrestling was Vince Sr.'s baby, and Jess's before that. The transition into what we know today was started by Vince Jr. even before he even owned the thing.

There is such a thing (or at least was, and should be again) as a family business. That's what the WWE is. It is passed down (again, you can substitute "bought out" if you want; money changes hands) from generation to generation. Vince Jr., I believe, is close to retirement; Paul Levesque (Triple H) and Stephanie will take over (possibly along with Shane) when that happens. They will buy out Vince Jr. Someday, their children will buy them out and take over.

I actually expect to see the WWE split into two franchises; the present 'war' between Raw and Smackdown kinda leads me to think this. Never let a good storyline go to waste.

And none of this takes away from the fact that Linda McMahon is a massive success story.

TheRedneck

<< 1   >>

join