It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linda McMahon, who built a wrestling powerhouse, could face a tough bout in Senate hearing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

The professional wrestling executive tapped by President Donald Trump to lead the Small Business Administration could face tough questions about her role in stifling small- and medium-size competitors as she and her husband built a multimillion-dollar business.

Linda McMahon, 68, a co-founder and former chief executive of World Wrestling Entertainment and a top Trump donor, will face lawmakers from the Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee in a confirmation hearing Tuesday.

If confirmed, McMahon would replace Maria Contreras-Sweet, a former bank executive and California Cabinet secretary, as administrator of the SBA. The agency, which partners with banks and credit unions to lend to small businesses, also serves as an advocate for 30 million small businesses.

Source

While she may not be nominated for the most important position in Trump's cabinet I have a feeling that this might be the most entertaining of all the confirmation hearings. The McMahons have a long history of shady practices that have been fairly public. From the steroid scandal in the early 90s, to claims of operating a monopoly, to the current lawsuit against the WWE filed by dozens of former employees. The Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee will certainly have plenty of ammo to bring to bear against McMahon. Hell, they might even bring up the segment that sank her Senate bids.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Well, if nothing else, this hearing will tell us if our illustrious Congressmen have the mental faculties to differentiate between reality and acting (like Trish being forced to bark like a dog).

Should be fun... and enlightening.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
She will be confirmed by unanimous decision.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

if you are a billionaire you can help govern America! because being rich, no matter how wealth was assimilated, qualifies you!

if anything, there are a few more billionaires this admin can tap into to help drain the swamp of evil corps controlling the government.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Please let Jim Ross and The Rock be special guest commentators on the hearing. Maybe they should hold the proceedings in a steel cage to prevent outside interference.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Meh. I've given up hope that any of these nominees will be rejected because they weren't qualified or reasons of an ethical nature. The Republicans want to just push them through the door as fast as possible. I'm sure she'll have some tough questions, but it won't stop anything.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Jerry "The King" Lawler could be special guest referee...

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
She should suplex the committee chairman off the top rope .
USA! USA!

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I'm really surprised that Trump's supporters aren't holding his feet to the fire when it comes to his nominees. The McMahons are the largest contributors to the Trump Foundation. The DeVos' were one of the largest donors to Trump's campaign. Hell, Mnuchin even said that if he raised enough money he would be tapped for Treasury secretary. Isn't this the exact same kind of pay-to-play politics that Trump slammed Hillary with?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'd rather The Grand Wizard of Wrestling, a Sensible Man. Here just replace "Rocky Johnson" with the name "Donald Trump".

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Trump uses alternative thinking.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Its because she is a woman. Those sexist liberals.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Trumpshouse

It's because while she may be a successful businesswoman she is hardly small business friendly. But feel free to try to deflect from the fact that Trump once again nominated someone simply because they gave him a lot of money.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

There's no fire yet. I'm waiting for results, or at least actions. I'd be fine with Bozo the Clown as long as he does a good job.

If someone doesn't do a good job, then and only then will I "hold their feet to the fire."

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

So if Hillary had won and she appointed Bill Gates (one of the largest donors to the Clinton Foundation) to a position in her cabinet you wouldn't question it? What if a large number of her cabinet picks contributed large amounts of money to either her foundation or her campaign? You wouldn't have any issue with that?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Trumpshouse

It's because while she may be a successful businesswoman she is hardly small business friendly. But feel free to try to deflect from the fact that Trump once again nominated someone simply because they gave him a lot of money.

Trump would have to be eating live babies in a press conference before his Followers even begin to 'question' his actions

look at Giuliani [although a mentalist] not a billionaire, but with political experience got naught, just shoved in a corner.
----
but im not going to let skepticism take away from the 'change' actually happening. i do think its strange that no one in Trump's fanpage want to ever query anything he does or his appointed officials or you are 'triggered' if you criticize Trump etc..
but im going to Judge the performance of our leaders based on their performance as leaders. its day 4.

we'll have to wait and see if her billions in 'influence' can help the poor and not the rich to get richer

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

If they did a poor job, I would have called for their removal and adjusted my opinion of her downward for appointing them. That was exactly why I opposed Hillary: she had under-performed and failed so many times, and refused to even accept responsibility.

Trump has not failed me... yet. I hope he won't. Choosing someone questionable is not a failure; choosing someone who fails is a failure. Refusing to acknowledge someone's failure or to take responsibility for it is a complete failure.

I looked up Linda McMahon. She and Vince were forced to declare bankruptcy and were on food stamps in the 1970s. Today, they run the biggest sports entertainment franchise in the industry. WWE has it's own Internet-based channel, provides 5 hours of highly-rated programming per week on USA, holds over a dozen successful pay-per-view events every year (Wrestlemania rivals the Super Bowl for fan base), owns several training leagues, and even has their own movie production franchise. Their marketing has permeated the retail market. Their superstars are household names: the Rock (Duane Johnson) is a bona-fide movie star, John Cena has made movies, advertisements, and appears as a co-host regularly on NBC's Today Show, Randy Orton has been in several movies and is now featured in a TV series on USA. Edge (Adam Copeland) has done so as well. They employ thousands of employees, not counting the superstars, and have millions of fans around the globe.

From food stamps to the pinnacle of sports entertainment. That's quite a leap, wouldn't you say? If she and her husband can achieve that, using choreographed rather than actual sports, why can't they help others do so? Or, even better, why can't they try to help others do so?

I am coming to believe that the goal of the Democratic party really is to make everyone indigent. Their supporters seem to despise success and oppose it at every turn... unless the successful are born with the right name.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

There's no fire yet. I'm waiting for results, or at least actions. I'd be fine with Bozo the Clown as long as he does a good job.

If someone doesn't do a good job, then and only then will I "hold their feet to the fire."

TheRedneck

so you would be fine with bozo piloting the airplane you're on, or bozo the clown installing a new roof on your house, or bozo upgrading your electrical wiring in your house.....so, when does it become necessary to actually have experience.....if fact, why even hire you for anything, when some employer can get bozo to do the job

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

You really should read the whole post. Linda McMahon has more successful small business growth experience than anyone I can think of right now.

You have heard of the WWE?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Like I said, she's a successful businesswoman. Although, to be fair they didn't exactly build the WWE from the ground up. When they bought the WWWF from Vince's father it was already the most popular and successful federation by far. I can't remember the numbers of the top of my head but I think it controlled somewhere around 50% of the market when they bought it.

From there they began a campaign of aggressive headhunting and hostile takeovers to achieve a near monopoly on the industry. If it wasn't for Ted Turner wanting to get into the "wrasslin" business you can bet that there would have been antitrust suits.

The way the WWE got to the place they are today is by destroying small businesses.

And let's not even get started on their treatment of employees. While things have started to get better it wasn't really until after Linda left the company.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, how can you help promote small business growth when they only way you know how to grow a business is to crush small business?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join