It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's 'day of patriotic devotion' has echoes of North Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Donald Trump has echoed North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, after declaring that the day of his inauguration should be a “national day of patriotic devotion” – a rallying cry that would not be out of place in the secretive state’s propaganda.

Trump’s proclamation, which was made official on Monday, has been uttered by Kim in speeches to his 1.2 million-strong military and members of the ruling Korean Workers’ party in recent years.

SOURCE

Although I don't believe the story linked above is disinformation, I'm putting it in the Dissecting Disinformation forum to appease Trump supporters. I can already hear the cries of "fake news", but there is no specific fake news forum.

The fact is that the story linked above is not much better than comparing Trump to Hitler. Trump is trying to bring the concepts of nationalism and protectionism basically back from the dead, and there may be no way to do that without occasionally sounding a bit like a dictator. In that sense I believe this story belongs in the Dissecting Disinformation forum.

I believe Trump is going to continue to try to stir up nationalism and protectionism, and he'll continue to be compared to dictators because of it. Is that fake news?

I think it is 100% fake news, but we shall see.
edit on 24-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I think it is 100% fake news, but we shall see.

Oh, it's real!

“Now, therefore, I, Donald J. Trump, president of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim Jan. 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to our country — and to renew the duties of government to the people,”

“Our Constitution is written on parchment, but it lives in the hearts of the American people,” the order continues. “There is no freedom where the people do not believe in it; no law where the people do not follow it; and no peace where the people do not pray for it.”

www.washingtonpost.com... e79a40d

Oh dear small handed leader, the honeymoon was over before the festivities!

Too bad Cheetos Jesus wasn't paying attentions to the real displays of patriotism when millions of women and men took to the streets on January 21, 2017

edit on 24-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Seems real enough to me.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to our country—and to renew the duties of Government to the people.
www.federalregister.gov...

How long till the statues and posters of the Donald issuing patriotic statements start to appear.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'm thinking no time soon.

After all, why posters when he can use twitter, then everyone can meltdown together. Hey, no more decisiveness...wow, he really is an evil genius.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   

edit on 24-1-2017 by Pandaram because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Twitter is fleeting , billboards deliver the news 24/7.
I wouldn't rule it out.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   

That is a creepy, ominous thing for him to name his Inauguration Day. North Korea was definitely the first thing I thought of.

It turns out though that Presidents name their Inauguration Day:

Snopes
President Trump's "National Day of Patriotic Devotion" (formally entered into the Federal Register on 24 January 2017) didn't differ all that much from President Obama's 20 January 2009 "National Day of Renewal and Reconciliation" in as much as it mentioned faith, was issued concurrently with a first-term inauguration, used heavily patriotic language, and bore primarily symbolic weight.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I said, it was almost raining, the rain should have scared them away, but God looked down and he said, we're not going to let it rain on your speech.

But the truth is that it stopped immediately. It was amazing. And then it became really sunny. And then I walked off and it poured right after I left.

This statement also smacks of North Korea. A scary thing to hear from the leader of our nation.

I'm going to bet that the nearby trees spontaneously sprouted peaches as well?

Source
edit on 24-1-2017 by MrSensible because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2017 by MrSensible because: To elaborate.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Seems real enough to me.

The "fake news" argument is frequently not based on whether something is true or not. The argument often rests on whether the spin being applied to the story is pro-Trump or anti-Trump.

For instance, in this case the "fake news" argument would probably hinge on the fact that you can't claim Trump is similar to Kim Jong-un based on one sentence. I agree with that completely.

At the same time, I believe while it's "fake news" to the Trump crowd, it's real news for the rest of us. I'm just trying to be understanding of the Trump snowflakes' worldview. It's easier to try to placate them than it is to try to argue logically with them.

originally posted by: PistolPete

That is a creepy, ominous thing for him to name his Inauguration Day.

It's so bad that apparently even the Trump crowd won't defend it.
edit on 24-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Every president does this they get to name there inauguration day. To be honest its usually either a patriotic or religious theme. Like national day of prayer etc. Also protests on inaugurations is nothing new to Republicans happens every time they take office in fact Trump got away easy. During Bushes the presidential limo was attacked with eggs and tennis balls. But its funny how people have short memories since ive seen people claim this hasn't happened before.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I'm unfamiliar with this tradition being an outsider so perhaps you could provide examples for the uninitiated.
Declaring a National Day of Patriotic Devotion does seem a little off to me , I'm wondering if the Donald plans to go hunting Unicorns on his days off.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Every president does this they get to name there inauguration day.

Really? Other than Barrack Obama, our first African American President, can you cite some of them? I can't find any others.

edit on 24-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Every president does this they get to name there inauguration day.

Really? Other than Barrack Obama, our first African American President, can you cite some of them? I can't find any others.

George W. Bush was the National Day of Prayer and Thanksgiving.

Bill Clinton was the National Day of Fellowship and Hope.
edit on (1/24/1717 by PistolPete because: Added Clinton.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Now, Therefore, I, Barack Obama, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2009, a National Day of Renewal and Reconciliation, and call upon all of our citizens to serve one another and the common purpose of remaking this Nation for our new century.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 21, 2001, a National Day of Prayer and Thanksgiving and call upon the citizens of our Nation to gather together in homes and places of worship to pray alone and together and offer thanksgiving to God for all the blessings of this great and good land.

Oh and by the way its all ready a national holiday as I said they just get to dedicate it.

edit on 1/24/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

Thank you! We learn something new everyday!

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It's funny how the left view the world nowadays, in complete reverse of reality. Patriotic devotion just means a focus on your country to promote it for the better.

But since Trump isn't "their president" it has to mean the Donald is operating North Korean style in all his endeavors. The brainwashing is now totally irreversible, leaving complete neurotic schizoid Trump haters scattered around the country like lost, angry braying goat herds.

I can't wait to see tomorrow's zany news

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Another empty thread picking on nothing really.

When is there going to be some attacks with substance?

This is like being back in school

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
It's funny how the left view the world nowadays, in complete reverse of reality. Patriotic devotion just means a focus on your country to promote it for the better.

But since Trump isn't "their president" it has to mean the Donald is operating North Korean style in all his endeavors. The brainwashing is now totally irreversible, leaving complete neurotic schizoid Trump haters scattered around the country like lost, angry braying goat herds.

I can't wait to see tomorrow's zany news

Which one of these isn't like the other ones?

Fellowship and Hope

Prayer and Thanksgiving

Renewal and Reconciliation

Patriotic Devotion

The first three invoke the idea of bringing us together with overtones of a higher power (God and/or religion). The fourth considers the state the higher power. Like North Korea.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

I agree. "Patriotic Devotion" seems to relay Donald's desperate need to be legitimized!

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I have been seeing similarities in DT and KJU myself without others pointing it out, first it was the news that he wanted a show of military might at his inauguration, then this about his idea for a Patriot's Day. I'm still holding out to see what kind of President he's going to be before I start criticism....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join