It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreign Accent Syndrome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Just a hypothetical, how would the Chinese accent sufferers of this syndrome speak with a Chinese accent if there did not exist Chinese people in the world? It would be impossible, so maybe there is some psychological component to this?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Then it wouldn't be called a "Chinese accent".

It would be called "Oh my god, I think you're having a stroke!"

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Right, but would the person still sound Chinese? How could the brain create this accent if it never existed?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marcus069
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Right, but would the person still sound Chinese? How could the brain create this accent if it never existed?

I dunno. Kinda reminds me of that saying, "If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

If the Chinese accent never existed then we wouldn't have a name for it. It would just sound crazy-weird. Like when people start 'talking in tongues' or whatever that nonsense is. It creeps me the hell out when my boss starts doing it for no apparent reason.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I'm a Yooper and have a Yooper accent. If I can understand myself, chinese accents are not a problem understanding.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Marcus069

A man in my home town, who was born here, started speaking with a Polish accent after a catastrophic accident. Interestingly, the largest migrant group in my home town is Polish which may be a possible link. What made it worse for this poor man was racists who started shouting at him telling him to go home.

Hull dad Robert Paling left with Polish accent after suffering brain damage in work accident

edit on 24-1-2017 by Morrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad

A man in my home town, who was born here, started speaking with a Polish accent after a catastrophic accident. Interestingly, the largest migrant group in my home town is Polish which may be a possible link. What made it worse for this poor man was racists who started shouting at him telling him to go home.

So you think there might be a psychological cause? Those migrants must have caused an influence.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   

If the Chinese accent never existed then we wouldn't have a name for it. It would just sound crazy-weird. Like when people start 'talking in tongues' or whatever that nonsense is.

My guess is the person wouldnt talk like that because without that external influence its impossible. So there is a chance they could be faking it.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Remember growing up,when my dad had a few beers in him,sounded just like a Texan lol

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I am wondering if you unconsciously become accustomed to hearing a specific accent. It would be interesting to know if the individual who begins speaking in a Chinese accent has heard the accent at some point.

Wikipedia has a page which suggests its actually the listener experiencing pareidolia rather than damaged speech being spoken in a foreign accent.

Foreign accent syndrome

top topics

join