It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicotine consumption falls as schizophrenia increases

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

If the plant is allowed to dry slowly and naturally the sugars in the leaf slowly ferment, When they are nice and gold. You can spray a whisky or Rum flavour, on the leaf . You can by some Turkish seeds online, and mix some aromatics in which makes for a nice smoke. Their is a Swedish machine which shreds the tobacco. Its about the best on the market.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

If the plant is allowed to dry slowly and naturally the sugars in the leaf slowly ferment...

Yeah, and that's where the 'yuck' thing kicks in. Depending on the moisture content and the leaf you're curing, they sort of drip tobacco pus looking crap all over the barn while they're going through the 'juicy' stage. It makes a mess of things that can be really tough to clean up later and it gives the 'baccy barn a sort of...atmosphere that's unique.

We never grew it ourselves because it takes a significant investment in space, buildings and equipment and it can be tricky to do (you really need God to give you a break at times, weather wise, getting it up, curing it, and taking it down). However, we had neighbors that did and we had to all turn out to help because although you often GET that break, it doesn't last long and you need all hands on deck when the time's right.

However, I often wondered why there wasn't a sort of 'tobacco co-op' for pipe and cigar smokers sort of like the farmers that will raise you a personal cow on grass and do all the work up to the butchering and send you the meat on a truck. If you had one of the old guys who really knows the tobacco biz, got them to raise the basic plants you need to make a good tobacco and wrapper leaf, raised it with minimal toxic sprays on good ground, cured it the old fashioned way and added in the usual crap you need to make a decent pipe or cigar tobacco but no more (the flavoring stuff can be pretty innocent, lemons, cocoa powder and the like, and not very much at that, unless you want something real sugary), you could cask that stuff up and sell it at an outrageous price. The customers could buy in at the start of the season and divvy up the output at the end, with the farmer making out like a bandit.

You could even expand it to specialty flavoring tobaccos like Latakia or Perique, with one guy doing the quirky stuff. It wouldn't take a lot of bulk of that stuff to do the job for all the co-ops.

Organic dip would probably sell, too. Copenhagen's got all sorts of odd crap in like ammonia. That can't be good for you.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Their was a recipe I found in New Zealand , where you took the green leaf and boiled it with a mixture of Rum molasses or honey along with a bit of gelatine, for about half an hour, then pressed it between to planks of organic wood, with a clamp to push the moisture out an let it stay like that for a few days, apparently they said it was a quick way to cure it.
The Redskin apparently used a pressure system, on the green leaf and just left it under pressure for a few years, I think that was the perique cure, they used a hollow stone and pounded it in. Apparently if mixed with Burley it gives a great flavour but is to strong to smoke without mixing (for the pipe.)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
Apparently if mixed with Burley it gives a great flavour but is to strong to smoke without mixing (for the pipe.)

It doesn't take a lot. It'll turn you green if you put a lot in there, and while a scosh does great for the flavor (if you like that Perique taste...it's something you generally have to develop) too much is overpowering.

It's also the sort of thing you can't generally smoke around decent people in closed spaces. It's a not-in-the-house sort of tobacco, and the pipe you use is going to be stuck with that forever.

If you want a sample, Battleground Cigars has a Perique cigar with about the same mix you'd use as a seasoned Perique user. Don't buy a lot of them, though.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I looked at the shredding machines online. There's several suppliers, but most I found will not sell to the US. Those that do seem to be pretty proud of them (expensive). Do you have a good link to something in the realm of reasonable?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Hopefully I will be spared part of that. I suspect the reason there's no cooperative like you mention is that tobacco is heavily taxed and regulated. I can grow enough for myself legally, but if I were to sell you a pack for $1, I could be sentenced to a substantial prison sentence. Sort of like alcohol; I can legally make all the 'shine I want (up to a legal limit), but I had better keep it to myself.

I need maybe 30-40 pounds a year. That's it. I think that works out to 10 plants.

You two keep talking. I'm learning a lot.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

This type seems the best, but if you look around you can pick up a nineteen thirties, Ice shredder, this Swedish one is basically the same thing but smaller . The leaf is damped down then compressed into a brick, the size that the ice would have been then left for a couple of hours, and then shoved into the shredder and then the blades cut it into the size you want depending on the pressure. The flavour can be misted on after this process. www.tobaccoseed.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I saw that one, but they only sell to UK customers.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Send them an e mail, they will probably send it, but the shipping might be a bit stiff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join