It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicotine consumption falls as schizophrenia increases

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Interesting article published by Nature as they think they have found out why Schizophrenics, have a bad addiction to smoking, they were self medicating all along. considering that borderline Schizophrenics with their tobacco habit would remain unnoticed. Withdraw smoking from general use and more would be diagnosed which may well be the case. More Psychotic meds would be sold and big Pharma would be happy. Since Monsanto is now a big Pharma, and were at the front of the anti smoking legislation, the pattern fits. Like it or hate it the prestigious journal is a good source of news. www.nature.com... Nicotine has always been known to slow the progression of Alzheimer's does big Pharma just want the franchise on this tool?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ever wonder why shaman use tobacco smoke to extract demons?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Nicotine has a lot of benefits......none of this surprises me. Additive free tobacco is also not that bad for you (i.e. American Spirit)

I use nicotine to smooth my fine motor skills for Online FPS gaming

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Geki09

True but that was real Tobacco, it gave them the same dreams that Opium does. They only grow it now for nicotine extraction. You can buy it from Garden centres as a decorative plant.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I've known this for some time. Nicotine is considered a medicine. Cigarettes are good for treating some mental disorders. They got a lot of people to quit, now they people a bunch of different medicines to do just about the same as tobacco does.

Nicotine can keep chemicals like the ones in pesticides and in roundup from effecting us to a point, there a few different metabolic paths and also nicotine can attach temporarily to the nicotine receptors to protect them from permanent bonding by some chemistries.

Nicotine is not really the bad part of cigarettes, neither are the B-carbolines. The B-carbolines can actually help protect us from diseases too. But there are some bad points to smoking too much, over ten cigarettes a day and the negative effects overtake the positive effects. Nicotine in cigarettes can also lessen the toxic effects of methyl groups and also neutralize some ethyl groups including alcohol.

I am not saying it is good to smoke, only that it is a pretty good drug and antidote for some things. It is not the demon some people make it out to be. We have been misled, they ignore all the good points and then excentuate all the bad about cigarettes. Many meds are designed off of nicotine chemistry.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin

Nicotine has a lot of benefits......none of this surprises me. Additive free tobacco is also not that bad for you (i.e. American Spirit)

I use nicotine to smooth my fine motor skills for Online FPS gaming

American Spirit is a nice smooth tobacco, it is way more natural. I wish I could buy the tobacco by the pound.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
If you look at the article, you will find in the first part that it was initially sent to them two years ago, approved a year ago, then released recently. How come so long on this, if it was the other way it would have been released within a week or two of getting sent in. I guess because it does not match consensus of the time, they stalled releasing the info.

Hmmm. is this time of release related to the raid on the CDC? Did someone finally remember to print it now?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Good point it would have been considered politically incorrect at least until Trump arrived.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I don't have schizophrenia in my family, but...

demons yes.. I am one quarter native american between my great uncle standing bear and others. I think I have a higher proclivity to "spirits"

Now that you have me thinking about this, when I smoked more I never had issues.

Many people already know that nicotine is a cognitive enhancement. Many writers, many of the most famous prolific writers smoked.. Many reporters..

You cannot deny it improves brain function.

the cancer part is bad, but maybe another herb could help with that.

I really really want to point out if you are addicted to cigarettes and you switch to pipe tobacco or to american spirits it doesn't feel the same. Your addiction is not really satisfied. IT tells me that a lot of the addictive potential is in the added chemicals. Once you switch, and after a month at least try something like marlboro you can taste the chemicals. It's gross.

IF YOU smoke, PLEASE switch to natural tobacco. You'll get used to it after a month or so. You don't need as much. It will burn slower. It will taste better. It will give you less of the weird high, and more of a brain boost. It will feel better.. You can tell it feels better. Your body will love you for it.
And it makes it way easier to quit after that if you so choose.

I quit smoking just because I don't want to be addicted to anything. But I miss the cognitive enhancement. It's at a level higher than something like caffeine.

I will read the article as I have time, but with all the fake news I am reading for hours a day already lol. So many things to stay on point with and to fight for or against. the tangled webs are unraveling.

the war against tobacco was because of cancer. It really was. but maybe if we just had tobacco on it's own this whole time it wouldn't have been such a big mess?
edit on 23-1-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Hate to tell you this but the link between tobacco and cancer is all made up whole cloth out of statistics (remember those)

Since the smoking rate went down, the number of non-smokers getting cancer has risen. In times past, those non-smokers with cancer would have been smokers with cancer.

Either way - cancer has not significantly decreased with the decrease of smoking in the population.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

The B-carbolines are one of the active chemistries in tobacco that give the enhancement. The nicotine is a nootropic which increases the ability to think.

Here is some other info on tobacco.

link.springer.com...

www.biopsychiatry.com...

Cigarette smoking is a self medication for a lot of people, if they do not smoke they would need medicines. The medicines to treat these diseases also have very bad side effects for a lot of people, tobacco use actually has less side effects.

The cancer risk comes mostly from the tar. a good filter does help with that. Some people also are more susceptible to the cancer causing of tobacco smoking than other people. They seem to be blaming cancer all on smoking, second hand smoke, third hand smoke, etc... Sure it causes some cancer, but notice how many people get cancer nowadays compared to thirty years ago, a lot more get cancer now and just as many people who do not smoke get cancer as those who do.

They need to quit barking up the wrong tree. Something else is causing this major increase in cancer, they need to find the chemistries involved.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I quit smoking (American Spirits) 5 months ago. I only smoked about 10 a day. I have a bunch of nicorette gum left over. I wonder if I should chew it for the benefits, as a medicine. Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Hate to tell you this but the link between tobacco and cancer is all made up whole cloth out of statistics (remember those)

Since the smoking rate went down, the number of non-smokers getting cancer has risen. In times past, those non-smokers with cancer would have been smokers with cancer.

Either way - cancer has not significantly decreased with the decrease of smoking in the population.

that's not evidence for or against tobacco...
cancer rates are increasing with plastics and hormones and birth control and a million nasty chemicals we are subjected to.
It would be VERY hard to separate cigarettes in all of that data.

I do suspect tobacco doesn't cause cancer in high amounts, but that is not based on anything really.

I did mention another smokable herb would curb cancer causing effects. especially if eaten on a regular diet.. I've read enough studies to conclude on that issue if you are worried about cancer the other herb is amazing.
edit on 23-1-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

I quit smoking (American Spirits) 5 months ago. I only smoked about 10 a day. I have a bunch of nicorette gum left over. I wonder if I should chew it for the benefits, as a medicine. Hmmm.

nicotine on it's own is healthy for the body I want to say.

at least not harmful, if the gum does not have rat poison sweeteners in it of course.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

the major increases in cancer are definitely not linked to tobacco.
THAT is for sure as tobacco use has declined to a VERY high degree.

somebody doesn't want us to have babies or to live into retirement.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

The "Asian paradox" and the "French Paradox" should have been fully investigated before they blamed tobacco consumption. Because it hasn't they ended up blaming the wrong thing, and cost many lives because of it. But after the last few weeks nothing surprises me now. If the news is so controlled so are perceptions of health. Which after all is just information manipulation. We end up making uniformed decisions because of it.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
my body has linked better to my consciousness in some way where if I eat something that's really what I need, say I eat a pickle and I needed something pickles have in it, some nutrient, my brain goes MMMM good job reverbs thank you..

And I'm like damn I feel better now.

I want to encourage people to go off of that.

when women are pregnant and they want pickles and ice cream there is a reason for it. You may need calcium for the little baby or potassium or whatever..

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

The "Asian paradox" and the "French Paradox" should have been fully investigated before they blamed tobacco consumption. Because it hasn't they ended up blaming the wrong thing, and cost many lives because of it. But after the last few weeks nothing surprises me now. If the news is so controlled so are perceptions of health. Which after all is just information manipulation. We end up making uniformed decisions because of it.

I think america is bathed in the most yucky chemicals of any nation.

we eat bread that can sit there with preservatives and no mold and no bacteria will touch it..

So how does our gut bacteria fare in that pursuit?

If mold doesn't want to eat it, surely I don't.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

not only are diseases typically linked to smoking not decreasing, they are increasing. Other diseases have been proved not to have been caused by smoking at.

Example:

All oralpharageal cancers, except those on the tip of the tongue, now known to be caused by HPV. They are still looking to identify the particular strain of HPV that causes cancer on the tip of the tongue.

Notice that for cancers of the respiratory system (ie lungs) many cases of lung cancer caused by HPV have been identified. Again, not all the strains of HPV are identified.

Clearly all those advertisements showing smokers with holes in their throat are WRONG.

Cervical cancer - caused by HPV
Many protate and penile cancer -caused by HPV

Asthma incidence continues to increase.

Benefits of tobacco include decreased incidence of dementia, parkinsons disease, MS

In fact, at this point, I am willing to say that everything you think you know about tobacco and disease, you don't know at all and the benefits of tobacco have been ignored.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

since the tobacco control campaign with all their sickly sweet concern for smokers health instituted smoking bans not only inside psych hospitals as well, schizophrenics are denied cigarettes in the most cruel manner possible.

Here is Canada, mental health patients are searched upon re-entry to the hospital are confiscated. Thats code word for stolen and includes all cigarettes and lighters. They are not allowed to stow these things in their personal lockers.

These people have alot to answer for when the truth is fully revealed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join