It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Absolve Me of Ignorance-Planned Parentood

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: edsinger

I've seen the links as Blue sourced earlier. It does scream "wake up!"

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: windwordI feel the same way, and that's why I support birth control. What wrong with that?

So at least your honest, Abortion for Birth Control reasons. I appreciate your honesty.

If you want you can read a very good thread on the subject,

A Conversation About Abortion

Good luck, both sides on that one...but a learning experience nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

In her lifetime, Margaret Sanger's vocal support of birth control and women's reproductive agency was deeply controversial, though she is widely credited as a galvanizing force in women's healthcare. Sanger's legacy has been similarly fraught with suspicion and accusation due to her advocacy of birth control and selective family planning, and a number of dubious quotations attributed to her spiked in social media popularity during the 2015 Planned Parenthood controversy.
A scanned copy of the April 1933 Birth Control Review is available online [PDF, archived here]; Sanger was neither credited as the author of any of its articles nor mentioned in any of them. The closest quotation to the one cited in the meme we could turn up came from an 8 April 1923 New York Times article attributed to Sanger in which she used the word "weeds" in a somewhat similar manner, but didn't attach it to any particular race or ethnicity:
In his 1992 book American Extremists: Militias, Supremacists, Klansmen, Communists & Others, author John George writes that this quote was "evidently concocted in the late 1980s for the purpose of trying to make the early birth control advocate seem a racist and anti-Semite" and that "this fabrication has been kept in circulation by antiabortion and anti-birth control groups."
www.snopes.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

My ignorance is this. I'm not well versed on the intricacies of PP. I know they provide health services to the poor especially women in regards to sexual health and welfare. I "think" they provide abortion services.

My question is this. What is found there that is not found at state/county health departments and OBGYN's? Or even your personal MD?

ETA: Link to PP services. www.plannedparenthood.org...

As you mentioned in another thread, we try to achieve the same thing through different means. PP provides a boatload of services to women in poor communities, federal law prevents federal money being used for abortion. This is a straight up attack by republicans to prevent poor women receiving any sort of health care, family planning, etc.

Agreed that PP does provide services to women and men, especially to the poor. As has been mentioned in this thread, they would fall under Title X which is used in already established public health offices. Perhaps in private as well, in speculation as I haven't been able to hammer down any actual facts.

I don't agree that republicans are trying to prevent poor people from having healthcare. I do believe that allocating redundant funds is what is taking place.

Republicans do not want poor people to survive, or the elderly according to Paul Ryan. We may both agree that things need to change, but I would rather take care of people in my community, than to drop bombs on brown people in another country. I am a vet. The defense budget needs to drop, we need to bring our guys home, and let these terrorist little bitches kill each other.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Margaret Sanger never advocated abortion.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Republicans do not want poor people to survive, or the elderly according to Paul Ryan.

That's kind of funny because of the percentage of elderly who are Reps? I've no problem with PP. I do have a problem spending American tax dollars on something that could easily provide the same services via donations or with a healthy marketing campaign. Not all who enter its doors need free.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I do believe that allocating redundant funds is what is taking place.

That's it in a nutshell. There are county health clinics that provide all the services PP does except for abortion. Think about it.

Reminder: Cecile Richards earns $600,000 per year.

A little info from Wiki about the woman your tax dollars are helping to support:

She was one of the founders of America Votes, a 501(c)4 organization that aims to coordinate and promote progressive issues, and is currently serving as president.[8] Richards previously founded and served as president of America Votes, a coalition of national Democratic Party-affiliated organizations.[10] Before that, she was deputy chief of staff to the U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic Leader in the U.S. House of Representatives.[11] She has also worked at the Turner Foundation.[12] In 1996, she founded the Texas Freedom Network, a Texas organization formed to counter the Christian right.[13]

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Margaret Sanger never advocated abortion.

Sure she didn't...

Woman, Morality, and Birth Control. New York: New York Publishing Company, 1922. Page 12. We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members.

Linky

Nope not at all..

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Snopes is biased and not credible.

They do not mention the sources of some of the quotes in the article I mentioned.
And, the ones that they do mention, all they say is that the sources have been deleted from the Internet and can not be proven.
How does that prove anything?
It is well known that PP had pushed to have all mention of Sanger's past discredited, because it harms their reputation and agenda.

That is typical of Snopes. They twist things around to make it look like they are proving something when they are not.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

That's out of context. Sanger supported birth control, which was very controversial.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Those who point a finger at Sanger as a racist often cite a particular statement in claiming she harbored ill will toward black people. In a Dec. 10, 1939, letter, she wrote that "We don’t want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs."

"Sanger’s correspondence shows this sentence advocates for black doctors and ministers to play leadership roles in the Negro Project to avoid misunderstandings. Lynchings and Jim Crow laws gave blacks good reason to be wary of attempts to limit the number of children they bore. In Harlem, she hired a black doctor and social worker to quell those fears,"
www.politifact.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Your source is FAKE NEWS and Snopes proved it!

Typical pro-lifers lying about history and pseudo science.

Sanger wasn't a racist, although many people in her day proudly were. She never advocated abortion, she fought for women to have the right to use birth control.

edit on 23-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Life News? Really?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Life News? Really?

So the quote is false?

It matters not from whence it comes....it matter if truth.....(which it is by the way)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: windwordSanger wasn't a racist, although many people in her day proudly were. She never advocated abortion,

Wow, I actually feel sorry for you. I think you really believe what you just said....

I guess she must have changed at her deathbed then because she sure as heck professed it in her writings and what she did...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

The quote is out of context, like I said.

Sanger was working with black doctors during the Jim Crow Law days, and wanted to make sure that black women didn't think that birth control was intended to impose their extermination, as there was distrust.

"We don’t want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs."

"Sanger’s correspondence shows this sentence advocates for black doctors and ministers to play leadership roles in the Negro Project to avoid misunderstandings. Lynchings and Jim Crow laws gave blacks good reason to be wary of attempts to limit the number of children they bore. In Harlem, she hired a black doctor and social worker to quell those fears,"

edit on 23-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

most of that money is from reimbursements for services rendered through medicaid or title x though... if they go to the country health clinic, they will still be charging those programs... if they happen to luck out and find an ob/gyn that will take their medicaid card, they will still be charging for those programs. the idea that cutting the funding for planned parenthood is gonna save the taxpayers money I don't see how that can be true, unless you believe that planned parenthood is just gonna keep providing those services without any kind of payment in return. in which case, well, maybe they will, but then again, maybe they will just decide to ship all those patients using those programs to the country health clinic, or somewhere. they aren't obligated to provide free services.
so either the people will find somewhere else to go to get these services under these programs or go without the services... and if they go without those services, it's going to end up costing the taxpayer more money because it costs alot more money to deliver a baby and provide for it till adulthood than it does to provide birth control, and it costs a lot less money to treat cancers when they are discovered early...
but, unless planned parenthood decides to commit suicide and provides their services for free without the remimbursement, it's not gonna kill planned parenthood. they can just adjust their sliding scale to the point where they won't be seeing that many medicaid or title x patients walking through their door, because why would they pay $20 for their office visit and birth control when they can go to the county health center and get it for free?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

What is escaping me is that the services, except abortion, are rendered by both the health clinic and PP. Title X covers both (tax dollars). PP also has the advantage of donations and is tax exempt and their CEO is pulling a healthy salary.

I get it, why pay for it when you can get it for free. I also understand that I don't have the money so I'll get it for free. Where is the personal responsibility in relation to pregnancy?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
sanger was arrested and her first clinic shut down, not because she was performing abortions, but rather, she was sharing knowledge with women as to how to avoid pregnancy... which, was against the law at the time becuase some of the religious crazies of the age thought that it was oh so immoral to talk about such things, and beside, if women could control their own reproductive cycles, they wouldn't be so chaste...

I'm sorry, but providing women information as to how not to get pregnant does not amount to eugenics, since it still leaves the choice of weather the women wishes to use that information or not up to her...

now, those workhouses of old england, ya, I would consider those as a form of eugenics considering just how many people AND CHILDREN died in them..
and the gov't programs where they sterilized native and black women without their permission most certainly was!!

enabling a women to control her own reproduction of which she can chose to use or not... IS NOT!!

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

a reply to: BubbaJoe

Republicans do not want poor people to survive, or the elderly according to Paul Ryan.

That's kind of funny because of the percentage of elderly who are Reps? I've no problem with PP. I do have a problem spending American tax dollars on something that could easily provide the same services via donations or with a healthy marketing campaign. Not all who enter its doors need free.

I am often shocked by people that vote against their own interests, my parents included. It seems that many in middle America have voted against their own interest this time around. Defunding planned parenthood, is not going to affect our national debt. Bringing our troops home, and refusing to enter foreign wars will.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

enabling a women to control her own reproduction of which she can chose to use or not... IS NOT!!

Well I have a suggestion in 99% of the cases.....keep the legs closed.

I am not against birth control per se but I am against murder for the purpose of birth control.

It's not that difficult really.

I wish Madonna was aborted, is it too late?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join