It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SR-71 Blackbird Pilots ...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this but does anybody out there know somebody who flew the Blackbird.

I am trying to find out it's top speed and how high it can fly.

Everywhere I have found says above Mach 3 and above 80,000 feet.

But the text books happily claim that the MIG25 can go over 100,000 feet and fly at Mach 3.2.

So is the Blackbird really the fastest officially acknowledged aircraft or what?

Did anybody out there fly one and can enlighten me?

This is 40 years old now, surely this isn't still classified?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
as they say the SR-71 *actually the RS-71 until LBJ got the name wrong*
RS stands for Reconaissance

well, the SR 71 expierances such incredible temp changes that its body is actually Not fully connected

on the runway before take off most of the fuel would leak out onto the runway....

and it has to be refueled in Air so they will have enough fuel to make the flight without falling out of the sky

for the metal to be loosely linked in this way; and to "meld togeather" at super high temp

the SR71 must go at least mach5 and fly at least 120,000ft

id go even as far to guess that it can hit mach7 and 160,000ft

thats just my personal guesstimates on its "performance"

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Eh?

Those guestimates are a bit on the high side, no?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Mach 3.2 and 100,000ft are the current specs on the Blackbird. But I believe its more around mach 4 at 120,000 ft personaly. and yes, sorry to say but its real top speed and altitude are still classified.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well, try to figure the math out, 29.92 Hg of mercury standard at sea level. The Blackbirds J58 Pratt and Whitney engines produce 35,000 lbs of thrust each with full afterburner. I know it woulld be hard, but im sure somebody out there could get the numbers right.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Mach 3.2 and 100,000ft are the current specs on the Blackbird. But I believe its more around mach 4 at 120,000 ft personaly. and yes, sorry to say but its real top speed and altitude are still classified.

falshbacks to top gun.... "classified". it amazes me that people still try to figure out classified info.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
minkey, maybe you can ask for a test drive on your next tour of area 51 ?

you posted that someone there on your last tour mentioned thay have a cure for cancer, (My Wife's Cousin's Husband even joked that they has a hand-held device that could cure any sort of Cancer)

so Im sure the blackbird specs won't be a problem for them to disclose to you.....

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
someone mentioned before that everytime someone sees a movie; they come up with a conspiracy theory based on it

they were right because

the "handheld device that can cure any Cancer"
is from StarTrek movie; the one about 'saving the last whales'

well Dr Bones was in a hospital *they went back in time to the 1980s to find a whale and save it*
and Dr Bones sees a cancer striken patient and cures his cancer with the Handheld device referred to above

plus about the comment that "it amazes me that people still try to figure out classified info"

well figuring it out as fact is near impossible
but
its Fun to make estimates; guesses or speculation

i myself love speculating about this type of stuff
its really fun
and its like a mental exercise of the sorts

[edit on 1-2-2005 by muzzleflash]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The Mig 25 can only go Mach 3.2 by destroying its engines, actually its quite easy to to do on the Mig 25 because its difficult to control them and the speed once they get into the higher numbers.

The SR-71 can do (a verified) Mach 3.4 and it has been revealed that it does indeed fly my higher than was previously let on, I believe it was 120,000ft though it may have been higher.

There are a few really good sites for the SR-71 including some with ex SR-71 ground crew and pilots. www.habu.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
There is an excellent book on the black bird by a former pilot, Brian Shul. It's pretty informative and gives you a good idea of how impressive this plane is. I actually met this man at an air show about four years ago and had him sign a copy of his book. He was awesome as he seemed to be willing to sit there and answer all questions posed. He is pretty scarred from burns he suffered in a plane crash earlier in his life but this disfigurement doesn't seem to slow him down. Pretty amazing man and if you ever see him at a local air show by all means wait in line to meet him.

www.sleddriver.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Hate to say it, all that info is still classified. Big Brother doesn't want that info out until something better can replace it.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
How many SR-71's are still in service? The summer of 2000, I was working on a telecom tower near Agusta, GA. I lwas actually on top of the tower, approx. 200 feet, when I looked over my shoulder and lo and behold, a SR- 71 was streaking toward me (was about a mile or so out), the tower was directly under it's flight path, even though I have no idea why this bird was flying so fast and low...it's altitude was less than 750 feet, probaly along 500 feet- the sight of a SR-71 streaking toward you is incredible and one I will never forget, the sound of the engines were very deep.
I actually had time to salute as he went by and over me- it was awesome...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
NASA still operate one, and I think at that time (2000) the USAF was still operating the two they brought out of retirement.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
i dont think they operate sr-71s at all now, unless they are secretly opperating some, i think the performance of it is mach 3.8 120-140 thousand feet

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The highest preformance stats, that I've ever heard of were:

Speed: Mach 5 (I can't verifiy this speed)

Ceiling: 100'000 ft.

I heard them years ago, during an air show at Andrew's Air Force Base. I've also Seen the ceiling of 100'000ft. quoted in a book. BTW: the Blackbird programs (Oxcart(CIA), Senior Crown (USAF)) air both still classified as Special Access Progams. Even though they are known, they both still have many secrets. As for secret operations, I would not doubt that they have some. For all we know, there might be an updated version of the Blackbird in use today(SR-72?) (This is PURE SPECULATION on my part!!).

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
OFFICIAL BLACKBIRD SPECS

MAX speed in level flight: mach 3.5 (if it goes any faster the windsheild will break and kill the pilots)

MAX Altitude in level flight: around 125,000 feet give or take a couple of thousand feet.

I dunno what you people are smoking but this is as good as it get. Mach 4 - 7 is insane... the airplane would break up before it ever gets that fast.

and this info is not classifed anymore... so look it up

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
quote "MAX speed in level flight: mach 3.5 (if it goes any faster the windsheild will break and kill the pilots) "

why couldnt they just slap a space shuttle window on it?
i believe shuttles are going 17,580 mph during their flights...
i looked it up

and we all know theres windows in the cockpits of the space shuttle

so the question is; why not just use this technology on the other jet?

[edit on 4-2-2005 by muzzleflash]

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
OFFICIAL BLACKBIRD SPECS

[...]

I gurantee you that it is and that you have no idea how fast this airplance can really go...

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
OFFICIAL BLACKBIRD SPECS

MAX speed in level flight: mach 3.5 (if it goes any faster the windsheild will break and kill the pilots)

MAX Altitude in level flight: around 125,000 feet give or take a couple of thousand feet.

nope, its still officially classified.

do you have a (credible) link for your claim of mach 3.5, and I highly doubt the windows would break at mach 3.5, thats just rediculous.

Also...muzzleflash - When the space shuttle re-enters into earths atmosphere its going that fast, BUT, the windows are not in the direction of the wind, the bottom of it is exposed to the heat and pressure.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The A-12 Oxcart had a design speed of mach 3.2and a ceiling of 95,000 feet which I believe it achived this on one flight while travelling at mach 3.5.

The SR-71 Blackbird which was a larger and heavier aircraft was red lined at mach 3.2 and a ceiling of 85,000. These were normal operating parameters.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join