It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does CHina have aircraft carrier?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
if it does have a aircraft carrier would you please give me some specs

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by benedict arnold
if it does have a aircraft carrier would you please give me some specs

Dude I know your new and all but try doing some googleing or use the "search" button, since thats what its for...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
i just read somwhere that they are building a 48000 ton class carrier. Is that bigger than the us ones and how effective would it be against an american aircraft carrier

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Currently plans for a carrier are on "Haitus"

They have several decomissioned vessels, but these are privately owned... though i'm sure defense officials have had a look at them.

China has the capability to build a carrier no doubt... but they are probably going to wait until the rest of the fleet is modernised so that they can protect it effectively... otherwise it would be pointless to build one now.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This report made by the Naval War College may or may not be of interest to you?

Fits ambition to achieve "blue-water" (high seas) naval capability. Some reports suggest that China plans tn refit one or more aircraft carriers from the former Soviet Union or other countries. Others claim that China has investigated the possibility of buying a light aircraft carrier from a European shipbuilder. Other reports suggest China has already made the decision to build two or three indigenous carriers and has even allocated funding for the program. However, none of these reports has ever been confirmed, and no firm evidence exists that China really does intend to refurbish, build, or buy an aircraft carrier. Thus the prospect of a Chinese carrier remains subject to a great deal of rumor and speculation.

Naval War College Report: China's aircraft carrier ambitions: seeking truth from rumors

And from the Chinese Defence Today:
Aircraft Carrier Program

Speculation has been taking place since the early 1980's.
China does have the old Russian Varyag, but speculation says that China has no intentions to outfit it for active use. It is believed to just be a research platform for possible future Chinese aircraft carrier ambitions, if they even venture into that arena.

seekerof

[edit on 29-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a major problem seems to be that there's no suitible plane.

new topics

top topics

join