It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Saudi Diplomat Predicts Women Will Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A Saudi diplomat and a member of the royal family has predicted that in the future, women will be granted the right to vote in the kingdom. This if it indeed comes to pass, will be the first time that that right has been granted for Saudi women. In addition, the kingdom will hold municipal elections in response to pressure from other nations to democratize.

story.news.yahoo.com[/url ]
DAVOS, Switzerland - A top Saudi diplomat and member of the royal family predicted that women will be allowed to vote in future elections, giving women in the strictly segregated Islamic nation a political voice for the first time.

The Saudi government has responded to international pressure to democratize the Middle East by promising municipal elections across the country, with the first stage on Feb. 10 in the capital, Riyadh. The elections, in which only men can participate, will be the first since the 1960s, when local polls were held in a few cities.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Saudi diplomat, no doubt briefed well, used the history of Western countries against them. He pointed out that woman received the right to vote well after men in such countries as the United States, France, and Switzerland. However, these elections are for minor positions and do not effect real power in the country at all. The House of Saud is ripe for a fall and it will be disastrous for the West should this occur. The question is not if, but when.

[edit on 1/29/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
with the sentiments against the princes rising in the islam heartland itselve, maybe they need a larger pool of votes to perhaps rig the elections.

[edit on 29-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yes they are ripe for a fall, but will the US intervene if a take over by muslin extremist will occur?

After all is more than just country to country relationships between the Saud family and the Bush family.

It's a lot of business deals and investment involved. I just wonder if the bush administration will let the Saud house fall without involvement of our military.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
With the upcoming Iraqi elections, where women are participating, it would be logical that Saudi would follow suit!

I believe that women should have a voice, but not the upper hand, niether should men.

After all, they are the mothers of our children and take care of our (mens) needs (when they don't have a headache)!

I've gained a lot more respect for women after seeing them make wise decisions in business and politics!

I know a guy and his wife won't make a decision unless he decides for her!

I don't want to think for my wife! If a women can't make up her own mind on her own, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with her!

Good grief! I have many decisions tyo make on my owm without having to make decisions for others!

BTW, I think this is a good sign for the Middle East!

top topics

join