It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a divided country?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

ok No we don't #1.

When people believe they are divided, they need to be told by someone, The President (Trump) that they are. Why? Because if he comes out and tells a bunch of brainwashed sheeple that they are wrong, they'll become disgruntled sheeple.

He' is telling them there is a Division happening so that he can calmly deprogram them from what the last dummy in chief did to everyone, not excluding the MSM.

I'd say worrying about it, like you are right now, is giving into the FEAR factor.
edit on 24-1-2017 by LuXTeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I get it dude. Between you and I, I lean left, just not as far as you, but the difference between me and a trump supporter is, I voted for neither of these people. Yes, it's true. There are some racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic people out there. Those people do exist. They always have. They always will. No matter how much I'd like for them all to go away, it aint happening. Can't wish it to reality. No matter how much I kick and flail.

However, just like you, I do think it's important to take a stand on certain issues, and I do think it's important to do so when the time is right. Wasn't always the case, I used to write in a particular forum, and was a hot head in both real life and digitally about a number of controversial topics. I was indeed a hot head.

Just to be clear, I wasn't afraid of my heritage. nor a quiet person. We can talk about religion, just not argue religion. I didn't say you can't discuss it. There's a difference.

My point to that is, I know what it's like to be a severe minority, and I know what it's like to stand up for yourself. However, I also do know know how to laugh some things off. Not everything is malicious. Sometimes people are only joking. 1 of 6 Jews in a class of 500. I was a minority. We stuck to traditions and customs, they all thought we were weird and different at first but, most of my peers were cool with it when it came up, inquisitive about it. There were ignorant parents who used to clash with my parents, one in particular, they quietly thought we were the only family in town that was going straight to hell. Few bouts. When they wouldn't let my close friends come to my Bar Mitzvah, or ever let me sleepover on Saturday nights. They thought that was some segregative #.

Most people, in general I believe, are not mean spirited. Over time, most of our relationships got to a point where it even became part of my identity. I was their jewish friend, and I was cool with that. I was proud of that, and no one cared, I could tell Jew jokes, they thought I was funny. Were there assholes along the way that would say something purposely hateful just because I was Jewish? It happened. It definitely happened a few times. Schindler's List was in the theatre. Holocaust deniers were on Geraldo. It was a different time in civil rights history.

Anyway, the point is the Alt-Right is out there, but they are still the minority, I'm telling you, no matter how many votes the dude got. It's skewed a bit. There were a ton of non-voters. They're out there. Can't change their minds. Always be ignorance in this idiocracy. There is also a segment of non-racist, non-misogonistic, non-anti-semite Republicans out there, who decided to pledge their allegiance to the color red, because it's what they've always done, it's what their daddy did, and it will be what they always will do. I think that's the majority of Republicans. Arguing with people on Facebook, I think the red color gets blurred, and miscommunication will happen. To me, Facebook does nothing but eventually get me angry. I deactivated last Friday. First time in 4 years. Also election year, but I was off for nine months. I'm seeing things differently for the first time in a while.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: HerbertMountainDew

Yes, it is possible to feel out who is being a bigot and who is just inquisitive. For the most part, your friends (hopefully) are not bigots.

It seems like you had it hard growing up, more with the parents. Yes there is nothing you can do in that situation. The son is your friend, the parents do not accept you. You're not going to go yell at the parents of course, you are a child. That is very hurtful for a child, to watch an adult be hateful towards you when you did nothing wrong. See thats how many minority children feel, and its not acceptable to me. Someone is wrong in this situation and its NOT the child, its the bigotry and hate. I had a neighbor treat me bad when I was a child for something stupid and I have a hankering in me to go call them out now. They still live there. Curious as to where you grew up, you can IM me. I promise, i do not want to parade through the neighborhood with a megaphone calling out all bigots, lol. I live in a red state and that attitude (what I call idiocracy) is all around. More in the rural areas, lesser as you get into the big city.

It is good that you did not blame the kid bc of their bigot parents. When I look for schools for my child, diversity is #1 priority. To force your child to have the same friends as you is beyond me, I don't understand the idiocracy.

Being a minority should not be a weird thing, it should not make you feel any less (not saying you did growing up, seems like you had good friends). Everyone should have pride in their heritage and religion.

Anyways, Friends come and go, call out your bigot friends, if they change keep them (you have taught them a lesson), if not, drop them. Life is too short to spend it with dumb people that just want to bring you down.
edit on 25-1-2017 by veracity because: to add and edit

edit on 25-1-2017 by veracity because: additional additions

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

My "fake Christians", eh? "Someone needs to teach them a lesson..."

You have no idea how sad that makes me on so many levels. Mostly because you are your own worst enemy due to your own bitterness and hate, and you've simply become a foot soldier for the PTB in the divide-and-conquer war on the people. Be careful what you wish for.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Just bc i call out YOUR bitterness and hate does not mean that I have bitterness and hate. Just calling it like I see it, its just a voice (or a typed message on a forum board).

Sorry you are so offended...you CAN change for the better you know.

And I will say it again...Tis YOUR hate and bigotry that is dividing YOU out of the Unity that is America.

edit on 25-1-2017 by veracity because: Tis YOUR hate and bigotry that is dividing YOU out of the Unity that is America.

edit on 25-1-2017 by veracity because: Tis YOUR hate and bigotry that is dividing YOU out of the Unity that is America.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I don't have any bitterness or hate. And I haven't expressed any towards anyone -- certainly not gays, and certainly not you. As long as folks aren't hurting anyone, I'm happy to let folks be who and what they want to be. Which is why I'm also happy to find and implement ways of promoting and rewarding best business practices -- including non-discrimination -- that don't hurt anyone but help everyone.

But what you want is the exact opposite. You want to use the color of law to persecute, punish and otherwise hurt people. Rationalize and excuse it any way you want, but that's the end result.

There's the divide. I do want that which will unite us rather than what divides us. But that will never ever happen by forcing one's will on another.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Then I was wrong about you, however, I believe in equal rights. That means if you have a public business, it cannot discriminate on gays, blacks, muslims, etc.

If you want to hate, do it in private. In public...you have to be respectful of peoples rights.

Is it sad that this has to be enforced? yes...i wish everyone had respect for all humans, but I do NOT want to explain hate and bigotry to my child when he/she asks "why is there a sign in that bakers window "gays accepted" or why does that sign say "no gays".

I also do not want a happy gay couple to be told "sorry, i cannot serve you"...that is pure bigotry. It hurts to be a victim of bigotry.

That is going backwards to segregation and if you do not see that for what it is...sorry

If this bigotry is normalized...then it will be ok to discriminate against blacks, again, next? who knows, maybe single mothers, people who drive jeeps, people with brown hair. We cannot normalize hate and bigotry

edit on 25-1-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

Then I was wrong about you...

Yes, you were.

...however, I believe in equal rights. That means if you have a public business, it cannot discriminate on gays, blacks, muslims, etc.

If you want to hate, do it in private. In public...you have to be respectful of peoples rights.

Except that yes, people can and do and will no matter what laws are written. Laws just give others the "right" to hurt and punish others.

Is it sad that this has to be enforced?

Nothing has to be enforced. You want it enforced. You want to hurt those people who won't be nice to you. It won't make the world a better place -- just creates this exact huge divide to be exploited by the PTB.

yes...i wish everyone had respect for all humans, but I do NOT want to explain hate and bigotry to my child when he/she asks "why is there a sign in that bakers window "gays accepted" or why does that sign say "no gays".

Yeah, parents have to do lots of things they don't want to do and have to explain lots of bad behavior to their children. And then you teach your children a better way. You teach them who they don't want to be... you don't teach them to be just as intolerant and impose their will on others. That's empathy. "Wow. It really sucks that so many people want to impose their will on gays... I don't want to be that person. I'm not going to impose my will on others. I'll respect everyone's right to be who and what they want, just as I want them to respect my right to be who and what I want, and my parent's right to be who and what they want. My business will welcome everyone and I'll put a huge sign out to tell the world."

As a parent, you have an opportunity to create real change in the future world.

I also do not want a happy gay couple to be told "sorry, i cannot serve you"...that is pure bigotry. It hurts to be a victim of bigotry.

Sure it does -- if we let it. Or we can understand that it says far more about that person than it does about us, and we can refuse to be part of it and walk away and actually be the example that we want to see...

That is going backwards to segregation and if you do not see that for what it is...sorry

I see it for exactly what it is -- and that's not it. Segregation was mandated by law. Folks did not have a choice. Color of law forced people and businesses to segregate and discriminate. Government -- for the people and by the people -- has absolutely no right or justification for discriminating against anyone. Government must apply the law equally to everyone. So that tyranny by government had to end. Just as the use of color of law to discriminate against gays -- especially gay marriage -- had to end.

In private matters, including privately owned businesses, government has no more right to demand integration than they had to demand segregation.

If this bigotry is normalized...

Bigotry is already the norm and color of law won't change that... it just allows one group to bully and hurt another. Did the Civil Rights Act end racism??? No. It just drove a wedge between the races, which has been exploited from all sides to keep us divided, and our racial relations are worse than ever.

...then it will be ok to discriminate against blacks, again, next? who knows, maybe single mothers, people who drive jeeps, people with brown hair.

Like those fake Christians??? Bigotry is already normalized, thanks in large part to a government and society that constantly focuses on our differences, and then sets up some as winners and some as losers. Ask the kids in the inner cities how much affirmative action has helped them...

We cannot normalize hate and bigotry

Nor can we legislate love and morality. But we can change ourselves.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

My only beef with you is that you think it is ok for a baker to trample on gay rights.

Of course civil rights were not enforced...for years. It should have been but even JFK did not want to upset his deeply racist southern politicians.

He gave into hate, he normalized hate and racism by NOT enforcing laws.

Then came the black revolts and the black panthers, a big divide.

It did not start there, Andrew Jackson did the same "look the other way, out of site out of mind" technique with the Native Americans. He took their land and promised them safe havens, lied, took that land, made them pack up and trek long distances to safe land...many died in the trek, then took that land and if they did not comply, he had them killed. THIS WAS NORMALIZED! People still do not know this and take field trips to his home growing up in Hermitage, TN., with no mention that he lied, and slaughtered Native Americans.

History repeats itself.

We do not need to repeat that mistake with gays, or muslims, or jeep drivers, or single women.

Hate is hate, and it should have no place in America. It will not happen on its own, especially with a president who normalizes it (such as JFK and Andrew Jackson, its up in the air as to what don will do). We need to enforce laws to protect civil rights. Many people died in the past bc these laws were NOT enforced.

All I'm asking is for everyone to have equal rights and repercussions to those that trample on said rights.
edit on 26-1-2017 by veracity because: All I'm asking is for everyone to have equal rights and repercussions to those that trample on said rights.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   
We are divided now.

50% HATE the 50% of the people they know, grew up with, birthed, married, dated, fought along side and exist with simply because they now but a label on them.

Individual thought is now dead. If you agree with 1 single point that is embraced with a "side", you now are part of that "side", opening yourself to the disdain of the opposing "side".

To think what we could accomplish as a species or a society if we remembered how to think for ourselves, the results would be extraordinary.

Signed,
a resident right-wing liberal lefty conservative

/holes
edit on 27-1-2017 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

I agree, if people could be more intelligent and think for themselves and look at the bigger picture, they would not need hate and bigotry to feel included.

A confidence comes with seeing the bigger picture and then you are "included" into a new way of thinking and with others on the same journey. You can look back on your old tactics and not want to go back. Ive been there. Im ashamed of who and what I used to be. That is why it is so easy for me to spot it in others.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... found out yesterday that my mother has cancer, and I've been a little overwhelmed with that. On the plus side, I'll make this short and sweet.

I understand and appreciate your "problem" with me. I have no desire to trample anyone's rights, but what we're talking about are not rights... and I believe with all my heart that gay issues are being exploited for political gain, and you are being shortchanged. Everyone deserves better.

And for what it's worth, as a very unorthodox and unconventional Christian, I am fully aware of the contempt with which many Christians consider my views, and I have no doubt that many would happily burn me at the stake... when the Puritans fled religious persecution in Europe to come to the New World, it was CHRISTIAN persecution they were fleeing... I probably have far more empathy and sympathy than you realize.

Thanks for the discussion

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I really hope the best for your mother, i don't know what I would do with that news
so sorry.

Anyways, what I am talking about ARE rights. If any exploitation comes out of fighting for them, then so be it, however, it is rights i am talking about, equal rights. For gays...the right to marry, for trans...the right to use the bathroom they identify with, for blacks and women...the right to vote and equal pay and opportunity, for indians...they just wanted the right to own land.

Thanks for posting in here, sorry if i was rude, i tend to be a little stern to bigots but you clearly are not one.
edit on 27-1-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join