It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a divided country?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
so, what`s wrong with being a divided country?

conservatives seem perfectly happy with being divided or separated from liberals, it`s the liberals that are having hard time with being divided from conservatives.

why do liberals try to make being divided sound like a bad thing?

America is the great melting pot of diversity we have never all agreed on the same things and never will.

trying to force everyone to accept the same way of thinking is an excercise in futility,it`s never going to happen.

you are cute in that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Its wonderful that we have 2 political parties, we actually need more than 2. The division is not the political parties, that is a peaceful division, its morals vs. hate.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

To allow bakers to say "no" to gays is allowing unequal rights to the gay.

Not at all. Freedom of conscience is everyone's right... and therefore the right to act accordingly.

Gays don't have a "right" to not be told "no." There is no law -- written or unwritten -- that says gays can only be told "yes." There are only written laws that say some people cannot tell gays "no" under certain circumstances.

And if it's not everyone's "right," then it's a privilege. By definition. If the dress designer can tell someone "no" but the baker cannot tell someone "no," then freedom of conscience is reduced a privilege.

Its the same as putting up a sign out front saying "no gays allowed".

As long as government isn't using the color of law and the barrel of a gun to force business owners to refuse gays service -- ala Jim Crow laws, etc. -- so be it. And dress designers can put up signs saying "no First Ladies" allowed. Let them name and shame themselves! Other businesses can likewise put up a sign out front proclaiming that they will serve gays as loud and proud as they like.

That's equality. That's freedom. That's progress. From there, we could progress to ways that government and private interests could encourage, promote and reward businesses that practice non-discrimination. Society as a whole would benefit far more by using its just powers to promote and reward best practices and ethics, rather than abusing those powers by imposing the will of some on the rest and punishing -- hurting -- those who do not comply.

We need honey, not vinegar.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

To allow bakers to say "no" to gays is allowing unequal rights to the gay.

Not at all. Freedom of conscience is everyone's right... and therefore the right to act accordingly.

Gays don't have a "right" to not be told "no." There is no law -- written or unwritten -- that says gays can only be told "yes." There are only written laws that say some people cannot tell gays "no" under certain circumstances.

And if it's not everyone's "right," then it's a privilege. By definition. If the dress designer can tell someone "no" but the baker cannot tell someone "no," then freedom of conscience is reduced a privilege.

Its the same as putting up a sign out front saying "no gays allowed".

As long as government isn't using the color of law and the barrel of a gun to force business owners to refuse gays service -- ala Jim Crow laws, etc. -- so be it. And dress designers can put up signs saying "no First Ladies" allowed. Let them name and shame themselves! Other businesses can likewise put up a sign out front proclaiming that they will serve gays as loud and proud as they like.

That's equality. That's freedom. That's progress. From there, we could progress to ways that government and private interests could encourage, promote and reward businesses that practice non-discrimination. Society as a whole would benefit far more by using its just powers to promote and reward best practices and ethics, rather than abusing those powers by imposing the will of some on the rest and punishing -- hurting -- those who do not comply.

We need honey, not vinegar.

You think a gay being told NO just bc of their sexual preference is "honey"?

You think me walking down the streets with my child having to explain a "no gays allowed" sign is "honey"?

I don't expect people to understand the baker situation, I can see how it is actually silly to many to think they cannot say no in their own business...however...I am a supporter of equal rights and saying NO is treading on their rights and its WRONG!

It may take a bit for people to be empathetic enough to understand.
edit on 23-1-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

You think a gay being told NO just bc of their sexual preference is "honey"?

No. That's not what I mean at all. "Honey" is rewarding the businesses who say "yes." Vinegar is using the color of law to hurt those who say "no." There is absolutely nothing to be gained by society by doing the latter, and everything to be gained by doing the former.

You think me walking down the streets with my child having to explain a "no gays allowed" sign is "honey"?

Every parent has to explain ugly things to their child. That's one of the necessary ways how we educate them and empower them for adulthood. How you do so is up to you. I would explain it to my child as "fair advertising," and letting us know that we don't want to do business there... we'll go to a business that "loves their neighbor." I would use it as an opportunity to explain that we're all in this together, and how important it is to support our community and those that also support our community -- our whole community.

I don't expect people to understand the baker situation, I can see how it is actually silly to many to think they cannot say no in their own business...

No, silly, isn't the word I'd use....

however...I am a supporter of equal rights and saying NO is treading on their rights and its WRONG!

What "right" exactly? And from what source is this "right" derived?

Our natural, inalienable, Constitutional rights are self-evident. If you can do it for yourself by yourself (or with other consenting adults, then it is a right -- your inalienable natural right, as guaranteed in our founding documents. Forcing someone to do something is not self-evident, obviously. Forcing someone not to do something is not self-evident, obviously.

As long as the law does not forbid gay wedding cakes, and gays still have the right to make their own or find another consenting adult willing to make it, no rights have been violated.

It may take a bit for people to be empathetic enough to understand.

I have empathy. And I understand that this effort to impose their will on others is the equal and opposite reaction to society's previous efforts to impose society's will on them. But where is their empathy in their efforts? I don't see it. I just see the flip side of the same coin.

I'm sure you are well aware of how this precedent -- using the law to impose the will of some on others -- can be and will be abused, because history is replete with examples. At some point, when the punishment is worse than the crime, it's just about hurting people. And that's just cruel and sadistic.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Short answer..yes I absolutely believe we are a divided country. I look through social media (yea I know its social media) And there have been nothing but political arguments and intolerance of the other side across not only my feeds, but many others I know. 95% of arguments I see just turn into partisan screaming matches. Even really good arguments are presented on both sides. I've seen this election divide even seemingly normal people in my family, I've seen it break up friends too. Maybe im just negative based on too much of seeing the social media side of the argument, but since this election started i see almost all division and very little coming together poltiically.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

a country can survive and prosper with division if it has tolerance,and acceptance
a country can`t survive and prosper with unity but no tolerance or acceptance.

yes we are divided but that isn`t a bad thing,division isn`t harming America, intolerance is.

you can`t achieve unity without first having tolerance and acceptance and if you first have tolerance and acceptance then unity isn`t necessary.

edit on 23-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

a country can survive and prosper with division if it has tolerance,and acceptance
a country can`t survive and prosper with unity but no tolerance or acceptance.

yes we are divided but that isn`t a bad thing,division isn`t harming America, intolerance is.

you can`t achieve unity without first having tolerance and acceptance and if you first have tolerance and acceptance then unity isn`t necessary.

I agree. As I said earlier, the political division of republicans and dems is not what I am speaking of. It's the intolerable idiocracy that is the harmful side that is dividing themselves out. The rest of us are already united.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I will say again, it takes time to be empathetic to someone who has thier rights trampled on, in the case of bakeries, trampled on by fake christians.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

You couold have just typed everyone who doesn't thnk or believe like me which mean they aren't perfect, wonderful and elightened and I feel absolutely justified in talking down to them and treating them like sub-human pieces of crap.

And now I'm really, really confused as to why they weren't at all excited to vote for my candidate who also talked down to them, sneered at their concerns and called them th equivalent of sub-human pieces of crap.

Yeah, I have NO IDEA AT ALL why so many people told you and yours to take a hike this time around ...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You couold have just typed everyone who doesn't thnk or believe like me which mean they aren't perfect, wonderful and elightened and I feel absolutely justified in talking down to them and treating them like sub-human pieces of crap.

And now I'm really, really confused as to why they weren't at all excited to vote for my candidate who also talked down to them, sneered at their concerns and called them th equivalent of sub-human pieces of crap.

Yeah, I have NO IDEA AT ALL why so many people told you and yours to take a hike this time around ...

I didn't type that bc that is not at all how I feel, sorry you feel like that.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
While doing research on this topic for just a day, I'm coming across so many pleas for help in message boards, it's literally alarming.

I work for a his new Docu-series which is an investigative report about a dangerous underlying issue that is assaulting our society. The Destruction of the Modern American Family as a Result of the 2016 Election.

The writer and producer of this project is conducting interviews, either over Skype, or just audio if you prefer. If you are no longer speaking to a family member, spouse or best friend because of a difference in your political beliefs, please reach out to us. The purpose of the project is to shine a light, explore why, and hopefully help people fix their own personal issues in the process.

This is on tight deadline. Please send me a message soon if interested.

Thank You! Hope to hear from you soon!

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: HerbertMountainDew

The Destruction of the Modern American Family as a Result of the 2016 Election.

Are you serious? Does anyone really think the modern American family was destroyed because of the election?

The American family has been under the gun for years. If the American family is viewed to have bitten the dust, I can assure you the election had nothing to do with it.

Is there anything that the media does not want to blame on the election? Why don't they research how we got to the place where the only candidates for the highest office in the land, came down to the Whore of Babylon and the Anti-Christ?

Don't ask me which is which, because just like everything else about our corrupt system, they are interchangeable.

I know they think we are stupid, worthless, bottom feeders, but trying to blame the election for the destruction of the American family has crossed the line into "Idiocracy.'

edit on 23-1-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

Your feelings and the feelings of many on that side of the aisle are amply clear though.

Why else would Hillary call everyone else who wasn't supporting here a basket of largely irredeemable deplorables?

Do you know why so many Christians voted for Trump? It wasn't because we think he's any kind of grand Christian savior or anything, it was because whatever else he may or may not be -- he at least doesn't represent that steady diet of naked and open contempt and hostility that have come our way for the past 8+ years.

We frankly sick of it and want to be left alone to live our lives and our faith.

We aren't the only group who voted like that.

The left is so tolerant and inclusive that they finally excluded and decided they couldn't tolerate just a few too many people for being not what they are.

You have become a spiritual/political purity movement.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Are you serious? Does anyone really think the modern American family was destroyed because of the election?

The American family has been under the gun for years. If the American family is viewed to have bitten the dust, I can assure you the election had nothing to do with it.

Is there anything that the media does not want to blame on the election? Why don't they research how we got to the place where the only candidates for the highest office in the land, came down to the Whore of Babylon and the Anti-Christ?

Don't ask me which is which, because just like everything else about our corrupt system, they are interchangeable.

I know they think we are stupid, worthless, bottom feeders, but trying to blame the election for the destruction of the American family has crossed the line into "Idiocracy.'

Please don't misuse the word "idiocracy"

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Your feelings and the feelings of many on that side of the aisle are amply clear though.

Why else would Hillary call everyone else who wasn't supporting here a basket of largely irredeemable deplorables?

Do you know why so many Christians voted for Trump? It wasn't because we think he's any kind of grand Christian savior or anything, it was because whatever else he may or may not be -- he at least doesn't represent that steady diet of naked and open contempt and hostility that have come our way for the past 8+ years.

We frankly sick of it and want to be left alone to live our lives and our faith.

We aren't the only group who voted like that.

The left is so tolerant and inclusive that they finally excluded and decided they couldn't tolerate just a few too many people for being not what they are.

You have become a spiritual/political purity movement.

You can practice any religion you want in America, what kept you from practicing your religion the past 8 years? What was the hostility?

When could you NOT be left alone to live your lives and faith?

confused

idiocracy confuses me.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Hey Herbert,

I personally have always kept negative people at an arms distance which plays nicely in that I do not have a lot of friends who voted for Trump. I have 1 neighbor that I really respect who voted for him and it really baffles me but we just do not talk about it. We respect each other not to I guess.

However, I would be heart-broken if my daughter or son voted for him. I can definitely see how the psychology of voting for a fascist can break up families and relationships.

I have heard many stories right after the election of people not going to their families for thanksgiving or christmas over this. You may be able to find some good info on the "pantsuit nation" Facebook pages.

I personally did not go to my usual thanksgiving dinner bc I was not ready to be around any Trump supporters, but i was hoping i would get over it, and I did, bc they are good people even though they voted for Trump.

I cannot forget they did not have a lot to choose from (Hillary).

Its basically the Trump Enthusiasts that I lose respect for. They are very scary, no reason or logic. Also lacking morals. They are what I call on this board the "idiocracy". (Stolen from move made in 2006 starring Luke Wilson)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
hotair.com...

Here's some more about it.

People don't like it when they know they are being treated as less.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Please don't misuse the word "idiocracy"

How did I misuse it?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

"By idiocracy I am talking about the followers of fake news, the racists, the fake christians, the mis-informed, the sexist, the intolerance of gays, trans, other religions. If just one of these describe you...you are in this group." - veracity

It is not what you said "trying to blame the election for the destruction of the American family"

Please don't misuse the word just as Don and his lil trumpets misuse "fake news". Its annoying what you guys do, idiotic...idiocracy

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

hotair.com...

Here's some more about it.

People don't like it when they know they are being treated as less.

of course people do not like it, thats why there are civil rights.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join