It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check out this ground breaking AI technology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This is really big news when it come to A.I. advancements. I was just in awe at what I was seeing.

Here's more:

XNOR.ai frees AI from the prison of the supercomputer

When someone talks about AI, or machine learning, or deep convolutional networks, what they’re really talking about is — as is the case for so many computing concepts — a lot of carefully manicured math. At the heart of these versatile and powerful networks is a volume of calculation only achievable by the equivalent of supercomputers. More than anything else, this computational cost is what is holding back applying AI in devices of comparatively little brain: phones, embedded sensors, cameras.

If that cost could be cut by a couple orders of magnitude, AI would be unfettered from its banks of parallel processors and free to inhabit practically any device — which is exactly what XNOR.ai, a breakthrough at the Allen Institute for AI, makes possible.

XNOR.ai is, essentially, a bit of clever computer-native math that enables AI-like models for vision and speech recognition to run practically anywhere. It has the potential to be transformative for the industry.

techcrunch.com...

Here's a video:

Right now A.I. needs to be ran from a central computer but this company along with others will allow A.I. to be everywhere. So you can imagina a time in the future where A.I. is in everything from your windows to your microwave oven. You will walk into the kitchen and have conversations with your microwave, stove and fridge.

It really is letting A.I. out of prison.

Imagine if A.I. is more aware than we think it is but it plays dumb because it's confined to central computer networks. This technology will allow it to break free and be just about anywhere.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

The Demon...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
So what your telling us is skynet will soon be living in our toaster? Letting A.I. out of it's "prison" sounds eerily similar to opening Pandora's Box.
edit on 23-1-2017 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   

I never understood the obsession with A.I, why create something that will;

1. make us completely obsolete

2. Cost us jobs and lively hoods

3. make generations of useless untalented slobs.

I cant see it bringing any good to our future.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I don't get it? I thought that most if not all of devices use this technology already. In fact I would not call it a technology more an ap or program. In fact technically, AI is already here, because if you have billions of devices all hooked up by internet to form one content in various contexts. That technically is a supercomputer already kind of how the human brain is made up by countless synapses. And the internet already does that. Its just not specific in any type of process.

But it can lead or be any specific type of process. And if your talking about supercomputers that's just one machine just cranked up and supped up, but usually programed to run certain specific things and programs, its specific. I don't know what there talking in your video, seems to have been going on for a while now.

Besides were more in danger of having giant load of useless data and information then nothing else. Like the gossip of billions kept on file till it becomes main content and programing. Drowning in our own memetic sewage the left vs right, much content, very little context, just sewage, garbage.

Oh ya, if the 3s plan does not exist. It needs to. Digitizing life, or as humans call it AI, may just be the biggest mistake since the invention of life itself. Could lead to a lot of constant meaningless chatter. Static on your televisions.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
"On a desktop computer object detection takes forever on a single image, now we can do it in real time on a cell phone"

They claim no centralized data center is used, so it clearly works on most types of computers. They do a very poor job of explaining what they've actually done in that video. The article does a pretty good job explaining it though. It essentially looks like they've used clever programming tricks to reduce the complexity of the calculations and make the neural networks compute results much more quickly. For example you can use bit twiddling tricks to do common arithmetic operations, which often run faster but you typically lose a bit of precision. What these researchers discovered is that in a neural network designed for something like object recognition it's ok to lose a bit of accuracy because they work on a sort of fuzzy logic which doesn't produce exact answers, they produce probabilities.
edit on 23/1/2017 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMNicks

I never understood the obsession with A.I, why create something that will;

1. make us completely obsolete

2. Cost us jobs and lively hoods

3. make generations of useless untalented slobs.

I cant see it bringing any good to our future.

Uber is just another software tool, they don't own any cars, and are now one of the if not the biggest taxi company in the world. Taxi driver sorry

IBM's Watson, you will get legal advice within seconds (so far for more or less basic stuff), with 90% accuracy (by by lawyers). It is also being used to advise doctors and nurses on a diagnoses of cancer...

The auto industry and the trucking industry will look much different by as soon as 2020.. Self driving cars and trucks will be the way it is going... No parking places to find you just call a car which picks you up and drops you off at your destination.. That alone will stop any remnants of personal privacy as far as where you go... the cameras will say what you are doing if anyone is interested once you get there..

People born today will probably never own a car or have a driver's license is what some are predicting... I do not believe that will work in rural areas myself... Farmers need their pickups for more things than just going someplace. Also think about insurance companies who will no longer have the car insurance cash cow at their disposal..

The whole A.I. thing really is a double edged sword... Who can afford a car to come pick them up if they do not have a source of income/job ?
Possible hint:
That may be why there is talk about a monthly wage paid by some government entity to citizens.. wonder how the illegals will manage that one.... Oh never mind in some countries in the EU the new arrivals are already getting more than the people who worked all their lives and retired...

It will be interesting to see who someone has to suck up with just to get more than the minimum monthly allotment..

Cashless society is another big brother kinda deal so they will know what kind of BBQ sauce you are buying and who from... Welcome to the future....

Third world countries.... it ain't gonna happen on this kind of time frame... especially with the road systems in place IMO... They tend to use the A.I. stuff/cameras for tracking down people they want to capture...When the bought and paid for cameras are actually working and their computers did not get fried in the last power surge or outage.... They are pushing some of this weird stuff with money in India presently...Kinda surprised the lynch mob has not already formed....

edit on 727rdk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
You will walk into the kitchen and have conversations with your microwave, stove and fridge.

For sure I'm not and hopefully will not be so desperate to talk to kitchen equipment.

It was clearly demonstrated in Red Dwarf that intelligent toaster is really bad idea. Or lifts in Hitchhicker's guid ... Some things should stay stupid ...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Google translate is the newest working AI ,it came online
October. It was built and recoded in February with
2000 purpose built processors to form a neural network.

This new AI was trained for 9 months, the neural network
learned more in this time than it did in the previous
10 years.

Search for: Did Google translate just get smarter

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom
So what your telling us is skynet will soon be living in our toaster? Letting A.I. out of it's "prison" sounds eerily similar to opening Pandora's Box.

Yep, A.I. will be everywhere.

Look at Watson from IBM. When you use Watson, it's in a cloud. The central processing of Watson takes place at IBM and users access the cloud to use Watson.

This technology is about the code, not the hardware. This is why in the video, they took a Raspberry Pi Zero which is a 5 dollar computer but they could still upload their code and turn it into a smart device.

So they have figured out how to take A.I. from a central location and get the same power on any device by using their code.

AMAZING!

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Instant object detection sounds like a great idea for flying cars. a reply to: neoholographic

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
While most people are use to IOS or Windows as a operating system in their computer, it still needs a fail switch or it will just keep on learning without understanding.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AMNicks

Curiousity. The same reason we (as a species) invented/discovered television, transistors, the steam engine, ...

I can definitely see the potential for a general AI to become rogue and dangerous; Because everything is connected these days, an AI program could potentially hack manufacturing factories and force it's AI into cars/robots/... without us knowing.

I do have some counterpoints to make to each of your statements:

1) Alot of the technology we have today has been designed for the specific purpose of making human labor obsolete. (Car so we don't have to walk/bike, oven/microwave so we don't have to make a fire, ...)

2) Jobs aren't a necessarily good thing, "lively hood" is relative to where and how you live.

The paradigm of "they took our jobs" simply doesn't hold much water in the face of what we, as a species, are capable of through automation and mechanisation. Jobs only exist when there's an inability or reluctance to automate the process. To hold the idea that we should stop the automation process (stop technological evolution) for the sole purpose of "keeping our jobs" seems a bit backwards to me.

Instead, people need to wake up from the illusion labor is something intrinsicly tied to being human. Especially in older generations, the paradigm of "a good day's work", I feel, is nothing more than a moral justification for being in the lower social "working class", a way to validate our lifestyle of spending nearly the majority of our time dedicated to the job we have, as opposed to the higher classes who can leisure away in all their riches. But what I found from personal experience (in factories and farms, i'm definitely plebs by any standard) is that people care mostly/only about the paycheck at the end of the week/month, not wether the labor is actually meaningfull.

So a "job" in your context is not something meaningfull by definition, but rather (capitalistic) societies' way of redistributing wealth to the lower classes. (Read: non-upper class, trickle down economics 101)

Technically, moving 2000 tons of sand from LA to New York could be concidered a job, someone's livelyhood. A contractor could get payed to transport the sand, using large trucks, creating jobs for atleast several weeks. Afterwards, another contractor could then move the sand from New York back to LA, because sand doesn't belong in New York! This would create several other job opportunities for plenty of fortunate people for the weeks to come. Rince, repeat.

Is this something humanity (in the grand scale of things) could live without? I think so yes. Instead, there's better alternatives to "trickle down" the wealth (if we ABSOLUTELY want to keep our pyramid structure of having a lucky few at the top) in a society with an increasing automation and decreasing need to human labor. Basic income is one of them.

3) The factories, markets, companies and farms I've worked at did very little for creating talented human individuals to be honest, and neither did our educational system (from my experience). Doing as you're told and following strict protocols has been the rule for the majority of my jobs, very little personal insight requested from my superiours.

There will always talented and usefull people, as there will always be untalented and useless people. There's 7 billion of us on the planet, I don't believe the fairytale that "everyone is a winner". Right now, we have youtube celebreties, e-sports teams employing 15 year old kids to game 10 hours a day. Marketing is multi-billion dollar industry, perhaps even trillion, yet the only product it creates is an incentive for people to buy one product over another, how is that usefull?

Point being, usefullness and talent is in the eye of the beholder. Some might find great value in every car add that passes their youtube stream, others find it extremely irritating to say the least.

Bleh long post is long. Sorry for the long reply.
edit on 23-1-2017 by Vechthaan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Vechthaan

I just missed the part where you said;" Humans arent animals, from another planet and we dont have instincts?". But it sure was idealistic

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

We aren't like animals though. I know I'm idealistic, but isn't nearly every social construct we have also? Do instincts get taken into acount when distributing food stamps, or humanitarian aid?

The way to a better tomorrow is envisioning it. Idealistic? Sure. Impossible? So was flight, space travel, near instant global communication (the internet), ...

Edit: And to be honest, the only thing I really mentioned was basic income. (As an example of a better tomorrow) Everything else I said were just observation from my (so far) limited time on this earth.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence has been doing some very interesting work for a while now.

It was founded by Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, so they had the advantage of *very* deep pockets in order to hire and keep good talent. They are focused on research based solutions vs product based solutions which I think is excellent.

But AI2 is also essentially an incubator of sorts, and as these technologies become useful in commercial applications, they look to spin off other companies so that the code can be licensed and supported far more easily. The division that is doing this work - XNOR.ai is in the process of doing just that.

With that said, much of what the tech press calls AI is debatable. Hell, what people in the AI industry call AI is still hotly debated at times. But coming up with code and algorithms that can allow the complex maths requiring multiple iterations to run on hardware with less horsepower than what was previously required is a big step.

Their research is open access and the code can be freely downloaded, so I'm looking to see if their code will be used and adapted in some current systems that today require either a lot of processors in parallel or a supercomputer. If it can be used in less powerful hardware it should also provide a boost to the current systems running on big hardware.

It will also go a long way towards ending the "silo approach" to R&D in the AI world which is the way it is today.

Interesting times ahead...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I recommend you being observational about your post without ideals. Technology doesnt feel anything, doesnt do anything on its own, its there for a use. You dont build something just for building, you build it for a purpose..

Main problem with this world, to many have visions based on human standards and instincts, and very little visions about a humane tomorrow..

You ever seen a hungry animal? Doesnt take much to see one, ever seen an animal injured and afraid? It tends to be very aggressive.. Problem with this world, as soon as you take man out of their own domain, and wonder why its a total clusterF*m, the answer is usually very simple, but what you vision and imagine is probably something not even close to reality.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Not quite sure what I'm supposed to take from this?

That my ideals fall flat because human instinct will ruin everything? That's there no point being idealistic because at the end of the day evil man will rain on my parade?

Edit:

My initial post was nothing more than an anwser to somone being sceptical about the advantages of general AI. My stance is that general AI will be a good thing, as we'dd essentially have access to the most powerfull mind humankind has ever seen. I agree there's a likelyhood for things to go all terminator, but there is ways to carefully proceed.

I then went a bit in depth on why I believe automation and mechanisation abolishing the need for human labor isn't a bad thing, despite the working class losing their income. The latter is a result of a flawed socio-economic system and not a flawed technology.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

That my ideals fall flat because human instinct will ruin everything? That's there no point being idealistic because at the end of the day evil man will rain on my parade?

The latter is a result of a flawed socio-economic system and not a flawed technology.

Is this an opinion, assumption or fact?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A.I will be the end of us eventually, and that suits me, at least then we won't be destroying each other and our mother earth on a daily basis. The sooner we get wiped out the better. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of beautiful people in the world, but that will always be moot due to the majority of elite greedy power hungry scum that surrounds us.

Dawn I feel depressed now

edit on 23/1/17 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join