It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Is Yet To Sever Ties With His Business, Despite Promises To Do So

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

No evidence exists so far that President Donald Trump or his elder daughter has taken steps to sever ties with their businesses, despite promises to do so by Inauguration Day, ProPublica has reported.

The independent non-profit news service said it had contacted officials in some of the states where the Trumps do business, but found no evidence Trump has begun the process of transferring ownership of his companies to other family members.

A Trump attorney said that he "has relinquished leadership and management of the Trump Organization." The businesses would be placed in a family trust by Inauguration Day, the attorney said.

But ProPublica quoted the New York Secretary of State's office as saying no changes have been made to business filings for his primary holding company, the Trump Organization.

www.npr.org...

So, was Trump saying he was going to bow out of his businesses for the good of America and the American public just another "alternative fact"?

Inauguration day has come and gone, and it appears the lengthy paperwork for him to do so hasn't even been filed yet. I'd love to hear why this isn't important.

Considering a lawsuit is also being filed tomorrow over Trump receiving payments from foreign governments, I'd think this would be something he'd take seriously. Then again, maybe not.

thehill.com...

edit on 22-1-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

First #storm of many for the new president. Seems he has more than few enemies.

www.nytimes.com...

WASHINGTON — A team of prominent constitutional scholars, Supreme Court litigators and former White House ethics lawyers intends to file a lawsuit Monday morning alleging that President Trump is violating the Constitution by allowing his hotels and other business operations to accept payments from foreign governments.

The lawsuit is among a barrage of legal actions against the Trump administration that have been initiated or are being planned by major liberal advocacy organizations. Such suits are among the few outlets they have to challenge the administration now that Republicans are in control of the government.

Seems even Trump agrees.

edition.cnn.com...

"The law is totally on my side, meaning, the President can't have a conflict of interest," Trump told The New York Times.

"I have have a no conflict situation because I'm President ... it's a nice thing to have," he repeated to reporters at a news conference earlier this month.

edit on 22-1-2017 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

First #storm of many for the new president. Seems he has more than few enemies.

www.nytimes.com...

WASHINGTON — A team of prominent constitutional scholars, Supreme Court litigators and former White House ethics lawyers intends to file a lawsuit Monday morning alleging that President Trump is violating the Constitution by allowing his hotels and other business operations to accept payments from foreign governments.

The lawsuit is among a barrage of legal actions against the Trump administration that have been initiated or are being planned by major liberal advocacy organizations. Such suits are among the few outlets they have to challenge the administration now that Republicans are in control of the government.

Something about it all seems weird. You'd think he'd want to publicly divest himself from his companies so there isn't a question of any conflict of interest.

Add to that the lawsuit being filed about receiving payments from foreign governments and it almost seems like he's trying to get impeached.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
That is extremely serious, but I will wait till his first week is up before condemnation. I am disappointed though because he should have already got his sh!t in order.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Is it possible that becoming the president is a pretty hectic and busy process? You did say it was a lengthy paperwork. Maybe his priorities was somewhere more important? I'd give him a few days at least because I'm sure you aren't the only person that noticed this and he will probably have to address it in the coming days

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

maybe he thinks he is in compliance with the law regarding conflict of interest and he is willing to go to court to defend himself against lawsuits?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Is it in the law that he needs to do this? I'm not sure where it says anything about that in the constitution? Or are we to expect every form of formal charges that can be made up and thrown at him? Every lefty lawyer in the country filling out every form imaginable and sending to the presidents legal team. (Who get paid by the govt/our taxes)
edit on 22-1-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
That is extremely serious, but I will wait till his first week is up before condemnation. I am disappointed though because he should have already got his sh!t in order.

That's true as well. If he completely divests himself soon from all his businesses, great. For everyone.

I think it's his echoing Nixon in his "If the president does it, its not illegal" attitude that I have a problem with.

We'll see.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
He knows what's allowed and what is not allowed. He is well aware of the ethics requirements. He is going over and beyond what he is required to do.

But, of course, he will get flak from now till the last day of his term, because the msm isn't interested in the least about covering real and important issues. They just want to smear him and create doubt constantly, 24/7, day in and day out. I suggest you don't watch CrookedNewsNetwork, MSNBC, and limit yourself when ingesting the three major network news shows. Instead focus on the positive things he and his Perfect Team are trying to accomplish.
edit on 22-1-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

It is a funny and conceivable thought.
Damn, I won..how do I get out of this fairly cleanly?

Or he figures he is above the rule..or will write his own rules.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

And just maybe his lawyers came up with a legal instrument that did what he said and their take is he didn't have to amend all those articles of incorporation for something like 500+ companies.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Is it in the law that he needs to do this?

Nope, not at all. What it will do though is mire his entire presidency in lawsuits.

There's a reason previous presidents have done this.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

So, was Trump saying he was going to bow out of his businesses for the good of America and the American public just another "alternative fact"?

I never expected he would. Even though its mandatory (as far as I know).

I think he thinks he can do whatever he wants.

He might show up with some legal paper, but none of those businesses are leaving the family.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

That's exactly what Trump wants.

"Look over here! No puppet, no puppet..."

He'll just tweet some stupid crap and cause controversy about something else to distract the masses from this. People have short attention spans.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

It is a funny and conceivable thought.
Damn, I won..how do I get out of this fairly cleanly?

Or he figures he is above the rule..or will write his own rules.

That's kind of what this feels like to me too. If he was serious about avoiding conflicts of interest he would have his team of lawyers start the paperwork so it would be ready to file by whatever date was needed.

But instead, nothing.

So I doubt he ever really was going to divest himself, even though he made a big deal over saying he was.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
He should just form a new holding company in Panama.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

that`s what I think,his lawyers told him he is in compliance and if anybody disagrees they can sue us and we`ll drag it out for years in court.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Is it in the law that he needs to do this?

Nope, not at all. What it will do though is mire his entire presidency in lawsuits.

There's a reason previous presidents have done this.
I'm sure he has the Best legal team that tax dollars can buy. He'll need them. I would expect every imagineable lawsuit to be thrown at him.

Some people will do anything to hurt this guy. I wasn't even for him before i saw how far they would go to make # up. Then i look at all these folks that make the # up and i realise that i don't like people who make # up, and it's the same people who were making # up about all the other #, at some point i realised all of this # is made up, and somehow i find myself rooting for him.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
As soon as he signs the papers and they get to the right places within the businesses he is clear. His high priced lawyers will make sure it is done right. If you have ever dealt with the government, you would know how long things take to show up. It can take over a month to show up where someone can see it. It has to be looked over by lawyers in the government sometimes and accepted by them. I do not know what all his businesses are or what regulations need to be observed.

Patients, we are dealing with the government. It is as bad as dealing with cellular one when they were around. The government can complicate anything, there must be some rule that everything has to be complicated.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I always wondered about his investments in UAE/Saudi etc..will his investment in ME determine the foreign policy ('take oil') as well ? Just wondering who will be the bad guy vs good guy in ME under his presidency since he have lot of business interest in Saudi/UAE.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join