It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump prepares for busy Monday, pledges NAFTA changes, other executive orders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
On Trump's first day as POTUS he is planning a busy day. I look forward to seeing who exactly we have elected.

Nafta, immigration, Israel and the economy are the executive orders that Trump is considering. He said the Mexican president has been great to deal with.

WASHINGTON — President Trump, having declared post-inaugural Monday the true opening day of his new administration, spent Sunday pondering a string of executive orders on topics ranging from immigration to Israel to the economy, including what he called a re-working of the North American Free Trade Agreement

www.usatoday.com...
A possible plan to move the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is also in the works. Trump has shown interest in the move.

Not mentioned in the White House summary of the call: A possible plan to move the U.S. embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Trump had pledged to do so during his campaign — bucking 20 years of precedent by Democratic and Republican presidents — although press secretary Sean Spicer said the White House was "at the very beginning stages of even discussing this subject."

The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 requires the president to move the embassy to Jerusalem unless he certifies every six months that it's not in the national interest. Every president since Bill Clinton has done so, including President Obama most recently last Dec. 1 — giving Trump until the end of May to make a formal decision.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

How many American jobs are affected by NAFTA?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

U.S. Economy Lost Nearly 700,000 Jobs Because Of NAFTA, EPI Says
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Since the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the United States, Mexico, and Canada went into effect, trade within North America has increased dramatically. Exports from the United States to Mexico have risen 150% and exports to Canada are up 66%. This much is beyond dispute.

NAFTA’s effects on employment, on the other hand, are hotly debated. Clinton administration officials estimated in the late 1990s that expanded trade in North America had created over 300,000 new U.S. jobs. Economic Policy Institute (EPI) economists Robert Scott and Jesse Rothstein contend, however, that such claims amount to “trying to balance a checkbook by counting the deposits and not the withdrawals.”

This is because NAFTA and other trade agreements have also increased U.S. imports from Canada and Mexico—and by quite a lot more than exports. Since 1993, America’s trade deficit with its North American trading partners (exports minus imports) has ballooned from $16 billion to $82 billion annually. As Scott points out, “increases in U.S. exports create jobs in this country, but increases in imports destroy jobs because the imports displace goods that otherwise would have been made in the U.S. by domestic workers.” www.dollarsandsense.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Compared to 9 million jobs (oil industry alone)...let's face reality, we are co-dependent.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Compared to 9 million jobs (oil industry alone)...let's face reality, we are co-dependent.

Everyone knows that..

reworking trade deals is not stopping trade.

UK has to renegotiate trade deals now too.

I think I need to read NAFTA first as I admit I don't really know it's parameters.
edit on 22-1-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I can't get any real solid info. Numbers are all over the place. Almost like the ACA, can't get real solid ideal of what is going on. And there is no real neutral source.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I can't get any real solid info. Numbers are all over the place. Almost like the ACA, can't get real solid ideal of what is going on. And there is no real neutral source.

That is disturbing because we can't get a handle on facts.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Millions.

Ever since NAFTA

ILLEGAL immigration increased.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Millions.

Ever since NAFTA

ILLEGAL immigration increased.

That certainly makes it difficult to put America first, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

From the reading I have done, I am leaning to the side that it has been good for the American econ, by way of corp profits. But for the individual workers, not so much.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

From the reading I have done, I am leaning to the side that it has been good for the American econ, by way of corp profits. But for the individual workers, not so much.

And it will continue to be so, because they won't be able to come up with any new, fresh effective ideas to make democracy work.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I don't get the connection between NAFTA and democracy.
Did I miss something?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

And it will continue to be so, because they won't be able to come up with any new, fresh effective ideas to make democracy work.

so give up no trying it's all been done before?
Trump has been meeting with all those CEOs like Elon Musk and asking for any ideas they may have on what he can do to make it easier to export their products.

I don't know but I think he probably understands jobs better than Bush or Clinton or Obama.

And even then how will we know what effects the new changes are having? ?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

He will have to spend weeks undoing the damage Obama did to America before he can really start making things better, but so far he has exceeded my expectations so maybe he can actually pull it off.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

so give up no trying it's all been done before?
Trump has been meeting with all those CEOs like Elon Musk and asking for any ideas they may have on what he can do to make it easier to export their products.

I don't know but I think he probably understands jobs better than Bush or Clinton or Obama.

And even then how will we know what effects the new changes are having? ?

You honestly think Trump knows jobs???? He is the Billionare CEO he knows # about jobs and everything about profits.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I feel the same way.

I would hate to play marbles with any of these liberals, if you start to win, they would grab the marbles and run home.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I feel the same way.

I would hate to play marbles with any of these liberals, if you start to win, they would grab the marbles and run home.

Projection much? Conservatives have been doing that for 8 years.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

You honestly think Trump knows jobs???? He is the Billionare CEO he knows # about jobs and everything about profits.

He has to hire lots of people so yes I do.
People who create jobs know about it.

Small business owners, large business owners..
even giant business owners..

you can't have jobs in absence of profits.

you are just being emotional.

edit on 22-1-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Not a conservative. And I don't play marbles, I play canasta.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

I feel the same way.

Projection much? Conservatives have been doing that for 8 years.

Actually Conservatives objected to the bad ideas Obama had not the man himself.

top topics

join