It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford Motors and Fender Guitars-Windsor, Canada and Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Ford has some huge production facilities in Windsor across the border where thousands of products cross the border daily. Its not closing at all to give the jobs to Americans. Much the same with Mexico and Fender guitars.

Choose a guitar made in USA...or save a hundred or so $$$ and get one made in Mexico. Those facilities are remaining in place, and I understand (could be wrong)...that the Ford Focus will still be made there alongside numerous mid-size vehicles...as will Fender stay in Mexico and still make the same Stratocasters and all others in the USA..and one can still buy a Strat "Made in Mexico".

There seems to either be a lack of understanding this, or just a fact that most of those hoping to keep jobs here...this election still will do that. But I know the average person...in any country...especially here...doesnt realize those out-of-country plants will remain employed by foreign workers and arent going anywhere but will remain in production.

I think people should do their own research into how many of our products will remain being made in many countries...and Im just addressing cars,trucks, guitars...will STILL be built by foreigners in foreign countries?

So, great. With Mr. Trump...we wont be building any new plants supposedly, keeping them in America...but we need to understand that the ones still there.../will remain there. Discuss....and do some brand research for yourself.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Any guitar player knows that when you buy a Mexican or Korean made Fender,if it isn't an American made Fender...its not worth it.
The sound MIGHT be there but the fingers can feel the difference when playing it.

Sorry but if it is not an American made Fender...than it is not a real Fender.

I highly doubt my buddies will come running up to me going "hey man check out this Mexican made Fender I got real cheap"

edit on 22-1-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Ford has some huge production facilities in Windsor across the border where thousands of products cross the border daily. Its not closing at all to give the jobs to Americans. Much the same with Mexico and Fender guitars.

Choose a guitar made in USA...or save a hundred or so $$$ and get one made in Mexico. Those facilities are remaining in place, and I So, great. With Mr. Trump...we wont be building any new plants supposedly, keeping them in America...but we need to understand that the ones still there.../will remain there. Discuss....and do some brand research for yourself.

Ford will continue to make the Focus in Mexico, they have said that. They are not so bothered about the Lincoln made in the US as it sells poorly.
The Mexican Strat by all accounts is very good, while the American ones used to be of varying quality, I don't know about now, my US Strat is very old, but I imagine that a US Strat should be pretty good these days, if not something is seriously wrong, still though, there are those who like their Mexican model.
It used to always be an issue of quality for vehicles, but nowadays the robots have levelled the playing field tremendously, but by the same token they need far less workers. Another question would be in the parts sourcing, that's done all over the world now, and my guess is that its all part and parcel of the profit margins, and its not likely that every part of a vehicle would be made in the US for instance.
I don't think Trump is being sincere with the American people from that point of view, that or he just doesn't know.
He should really be talking about new industry and retraining. However it stands to reason that it's a good idea to buy home made goods for the country's economy, I've said that for years, but for many, the pocket dictates at the end of the day.
edit on 22-1-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I don't think anyone expects every single foreign-based plant run by American companies will immediately close up and flock back to America and suddenly provide middle-class jobs for Americans. Not even Trump thinks that and nobody has ever claimed that. It will definitely affect NEW plants and already has. But that's just a superficial part of this complex issue. Economics is the driving factor here and insofar as the economics are changing Trump may be able to ride the wave and pretend he's controlling it. The fact is that the ONLY reason American companies move overseas is because it is cheaper to make stuff overseas and ship it than make it here. Now, there are a couple of major factors (and many minor) that may push manufacturing back to the US. However, this may NOT mean more jobs.

1. Robotics. Labor costs offshore are cheaper. They used to be cheaper everywhere, even Europe, but that is no longer true. European and Japanese workers make as much or more than Americans. The Chinese are still cheaper, but that gap is fading and will soon enter that "window" where it makes less sense to "make and ship" rather than just make. Robotics is part of that. If you look at manufacturing techniques in automobiles, for example, it takes far fewer workers to make cars than it used to because of automation. And as robotics continues to improve, this will become more of a factor. Eventually "make and ship" will not make economic sense because the "ship" part of the equation will increase.

2. Regulation. The US has one of the highest business tax burdens in the world, this despite the usual rhetoric that companies "don't pay their fair share!" That's just ignorant leftist rhetoric based on superficial data. Overall, American companies pay MORE taxes than they do overseas. Added to that are regulations in every phase of a company's activities, from the EPA to the NLRB, from the FTC to the DOE the burden of federal regulations on US business is immense. The cost is in the trillions. And here's an area where Trump can do some good. If he can ease the regulatory burden on US companies, that could serve as an incentive to spur businesses to 're-re-locate' to the US. Companies do not move overseas just for the hell of it. They move overseas because doing business in the USA sucks. If the government can be less sucky to business, that will 'incentivize' them to return. Coupled with penalties for moving overseas, the combination could be very powerful.

These kinds of issues take time to trickle through an economy. That's why it's an eye-roller to see Presidents take credit or blame for the economy. The factors that lead to a recession or a recovery take place in the PREVIOUS administration, maybe two. Clinton got credit for a booming economy because of--Reagan. Bush got blamed for a recession because of Clinton. Hoover got the blame for the Great Depression when he had nothing at all to do with it happening. You can blame Presidents for their reaction, but not for the causes. But voters aren't really thinking deeply about cause and effect; they just look at where they are. If a person is out of work because of NAFTA, they're not going to remember Clinton's role in it. All they know is that Bush is President, therefore it must be his fault.

So to point out that some factories already functioning a few miles from the US border are not going to close any time soon is not particularly insightful nor does it really address the issues in play here. Nobody ever said they would. If you thought so, you misunderstood the issues.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Of course. ..my main axe is an American tobacco sunburst with a rosewood fretboard and I have others. All kinds...just NO maple fretboards !
edit on 22-1-2017 by mysterioustranger because: fudge

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

You are quite correct. Practically nothing is made in the US with 100% US parts and the automation means every year fewer jobs. Department stores are closing, laying off thousands while sales go to the Internet and Amazon. I honestly dont think Trump gets all of it. Sad. Truth is that the best and brightest dont run for political office in the US. The best are too busy making piles of money and escaping the fall of the house of cards this country has become.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Very true and if you extend it to a Harley then the Brazilian ones make the point loud and clear .Only good for collectors and not for riders . China is turning out some really nice wall hangers at a low affordable price as well .

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Any guitar player knows that when you buy a Mexican or Korean made Fender,if it isn't an American made Fender...its not worth it.
The sound MIGHT be there but the fingers can feel the difference when playing it.

Sorry but if it is not an American made Fender...than it is not a real Fender.

I highly doubt my buddies will come running up to me going "hey man check out this Mexican made Fender I got real cheap"

I totally agree.

Mexican Fender's aren't the same and thus aren't worth the extra money.
edit on 2017/1/22 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I totally agree.

Mexican Fender's aren't the same and thus aren't worth the extra money.

Well you can hold it there a second. I was pro player for near 30 years, and still play. As regards the Strat all the parts between the two are interchangeable, so you should be able to ungrade a Mexican Strat in a distance between the cost of a Mexican one and the retail price of an American one by using American parts, that's what people do. I didn't need to simply because my Strat is a 60's job, and it's an icon now.
Thing is, if you're real about it, if you can make your own, that's the way to go, and all things in between nowadays.
The other thing is the huge range of choice there is in the current American Fender range, going into silly money even. They need to do this to compete against the custom shops springing up.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Trumps plan was to even the playing field, tax imports to give the domestic market a chance.

The problem is higher priced consumer goods but the positive is you'll have a job to buy them.

Trumps got the right idea because its a win win the the government on taxes.

Free trade only benefits the one with the devalued dollar.

top topics

join