It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative facts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

White House press secretary Sean Spicer's false claims about the size of the crowd at President Donald Trump's inauguration were "alternative facts," a top Trump aide said Sunday.

In an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," host Chuck Todd pressed Trump senior adviser Kellyanne Conway about why the White House on Saturday had sent Spicer to the briefing podium for the first time to claim that "this was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period."

"You're saying it's a falsehood. And they're giving -- Sean Spicer, our press secretary -- gave alternative facts," she said.

Todd responded: "Alternative facts aren't facts, they are falsehoods."

www.cnn.com...

I had to post this. Been seeing it this morning on a few different threads and so I did a search to see what it was all about.

Alternative facts is like saying blue is the alternative color for red.

We see enough bullcrap from pundits and the media, and now we're starting to see it from the Trump administration.

Stupid. It was a stupid thing to say.

If the Trump administration is going to be just like the lying asstards that infect our political system, then nothing will ever change.

Apologies for using CNN as a source.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Apologies for using CNN as a source

Accepted

now put the ball gag back in...
we've got guests

edit on 22-1-2017 by kibric because: boo

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Now the real question is, will Trump Supporters hold him to the fire when he does stuff like this?

If they don't, then they aren't any better than the liberals or the media.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
What is the deal about this anyway ? Is it something we should keep in mind or respond by burning down the White House again . Canadians need to know

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Alternative facts are entirely applicable to an alternative reality.

In the USA there are three realities, the reality on the left, the reality on the right and the seldom accepted actual reality.

Which you are in depends entirely on the herd you have chosen to follow.

Baaaa a a a.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Of course, this is the same press that leaped to run with the MLK bust story too.

Which facts are the alternative ones?

I'll grant that it was stupid to go with the crowd size thing, but the MLK thing was legitimate. So we better get used to this and start thinking for ourselves.
edit on 22-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Is "alternative facts" just a fancier way of saying "fake news" now?

I think maybe yes?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

To even utter the term is stupid.

Facts are facts.

The sun rises. Fact.
The sun sets. Fact.
Green Bay Packers suck. Fact.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

What worries me is whether or not Trump sees this as a lie, or as the truth. None of us can really know, of course, but from a right-wing source, I can see some concern setting in...

Here:

The Weekly Standard - Trumpism Corrupts

Crowd size does not matter. At all. It is not correlative with any conceivable marker of presidential success.

Which leads us to the question of why Spicer rushed out on Day 2 of the administration to begin his relationship with the press by insisting on a blatant, demonstrably false, lie. And please understand: That's what this is. It is not spin, or misrepresentation, or cutting a fine line. It's a deliberate lie.

And the answer is that this isn't about Sean Spicer...

So what is it about -- who is it about? Next page...

What's worrisome is that Spicer wouldn't have blown his credibility with the national press on Day 2 of the administration unless it was vitally important to Trump.

And if media reports about crowd size are so important to Trump that he'd push Spicer out there to lie for him, then it means that all the tinpot-dictator, authoritarian, characterological tics that people worried about during the campaign are still very much active.

You know who obsessed about crowd size? Fidel Castro. You know who did not? George Washington, John Adams, Andrew Jackson, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Reagan, Clinton, and every other man to ever serve as president of these United States of America.

If you want to support the Trump agenda, that's fine. Worth doing, even. But never lose sight of the degree to which Trumpism corrupts.

For those who don't know, The Weekly Standard is...

The Weekly Standard is an American conservative opinion magazine published 48 times per year.

Its founding publisher, News Corporation, debuted the title on September 18, 1995.

Originally edited by founder William Kristol and Fred Barnes, the Standard has been described as a "redoubt of neoconservatism" and as "the neo-con bible". It is currently owned by MediaDC, a subsidiary of Clarity Media Group, itself a subsidiary of The Anschutz Corporation.

Many of the magazine's articles are written by members of conservative think tanks located in Washington: the American Enterprise Institute, the Ethics and Public Policy Center, the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, the Hudson Institute, as well as the Foreign Policy Initiative.

Individuals who have written for the magazine include Elliott Abrams, Peter Berkowitz, John R. Bolton, Ellen Bork, David Brooks, Christopher Hitchens, Roger Kimball, Harvey Mansfield, Joe Queenan, and John Yoo. The magazine's website also produces regular online-only commentaries.

Wiki - The Weekly Standard

Are we having fun yet?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

To even utter the term is stupid.

Facts are facts.

The sun rises. Fact.
The sun sets. Fact.
Green Bay Packers suck. Fact.

Blasphemy!

Packers do not suck. How dare you smear Jordy Nelson.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Seeing the reaction of Liberals throughout this past year, I think it's safe to say most Trump Voters will hold his feet to the fire if he goes too far outfield, I would.

People are expecting actual changes now, and rightfully so.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

It's a bad start to his presidency.

No other way to describe it other than stupid.

And using the term, "Alternative facts" does not help him in any way.

link   
Trump got into office laying on a bed of "alternative facts". Statements and ideas that are only true if you look at them through a certain lens.

I don't see that changing. I just hope more people wake up to the game he's been running all along.

link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

For those who also don't know, the Weekly Standard is also squarely #NeverTrump which might as well be in the same camp as most liberal rags when it comes to some things.

They're beltway conservative.

link   
a reply to: JesusXst

I sure as HELL will.

link   
I expect alternative facts from the MSM but I don`t want alternative facts from my president it makes me think he is a lying POS.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'll likely treat him the same way I treated Obama. Don't listen so much as watch his actions.
edit on 22-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Here's the difference between facts and alternative facts.

The Falcons are going to beat Green Bay today. Fact.

Green Bay will win by having fewer points. Alternative fact.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I'm pretty sure they began calling it the White House after the Canadians and Brits charred it. They repainted it White from what I remember.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Here's the difference between facts and alternative facts.

The Falcons are going to beat Green Bay today. Fact.

Green Bay will win by having fewer points. Alternative fact.

Fact: Rodgers is ill.

Fact: Nelson has two broken ribs thanks to a cheap shot from a Giants player so will be unlikely to play.

Fact: If Atlanta wins, it won't be against Green Bay at their best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join