It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 193- Bill To end membership of the United States in the United Nations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

It would be a huge relief for me if the U.S. no longer uses its might to be the world's bully, hell bent on regime change in other countries for self-serving and nefarious reasons. Every country has something unique to offer and every country deserves to have a strong internal foundation of people.

That's my idealism showing.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Just a technical point.
You may find that membership of and hosting of the UN are both treaty matters, which would make cancellation a more complicated process.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Awesome and about time. I would love to see this pass as the UN has morphed beyond being useful to being a quagmire. For those asking the question what would come next?

I would wager a new organization that would takes its place and be based on mutual respect and cooperation. The world did just fine when the precursor to the UN, the League of Nations, went tits up.

The same would happen here. There has been discussion over the years of a need for a replacement. Mainly a new group representing democracies (general / broad term) and excluding non democratic style governments, whose goals are not in line / run counter to protection of the citizens of those countries.

If anything the bill may jump start public debate and by extension international debate and result in massive changes the UN desperately needs.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

This could also signal a push towards deconstructing international geopolitical relationships, which have been largely built upon the exploitation of the global middle class over the last 100 years.

FFS, America never forfilled its role properly anyway with an abysmal civil rights record 20 years ongoing after the UN charter, even though it was one of the first to sign up. It didn't mind going to the UN for a thumbs up for war though.
The UN was a virtual dictatorship run by the US.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

This could also signal a push towards deconstructing international geopolitical relationships, which have been largely built upon the exploitation of the global middle class over the last 100 years.

FFS, America never forfilled its role properly anyway with an abysmal civil rights record 20 years ongoing after the UN charter, even though it was one of the first to sign up. It didn't mind going to the UN for a thumbs up for war though.

Abysmal civil rights record? Compared to who?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This thread makes me thing of the global board game "Risk", we played every chance we got
when we were a military family deployed oversees. It was THEE game then and one we understood.

The topic makes me think of all the endless possibilities, strategies, potentials, positioning, gov
postures, defense, power, paying attention, guessing etc , in the active 'pretend and play' ....
probably actually happen.

Though ... pizza never had a a board piece. Nor did some of the other components I hear about.

Maybe the game will experience a comeback - or already has? It's educational fun.

I highly recommend it.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

I would prefer an isolationist approach, bring jobs, money, and military back home. We don't need our assets spread world wide. Let someone else be world police for awhile. Lets us lick our wounds and fix this country first. Rebuild our infrastructure, increase our production, fix our splintered society. Help the poor and feed our hungry and not send trillions of dollars to dictatorial states to fund and arm terror.

But that's just my Small brains way of thinking 😆

Incredibly powerful video! Thanks for posting it. I highly recommend everyone watch this.

To call the issue complicated would be the understatement of the century.

I had a 10 paragraph post but deleted it, I will leave it at the above sentence.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: 727Sky

If this goes through there will be a time when another such function will come into being.
Could we be close to the 4 beast arising in end time prophecy of Daniel ? I always wondered how that might come about while looking at the world stage as it has been for awhile . interesting times for tptb and us.

Amazing time to live in isn't it.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Not compared to who, compared to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948, the objective of all UN countries, including the US. So if what I say offends you, go and dig up the politicos who did nothing, and shake the shiite out of their skeletons, for answers.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Instead of this they should have had end up the NATO, not the U.N.US was the very first country to sign up the treaty to control the international conflicts.

Nothing good come out of this.

edit on 22-1-2017 by Syphone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Repeal & Replace the U.N.!

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This was an excellent move, and the title of the bill is inspiring.

Even if for some reason the bill does not pass, the existence of the bill alone gives the US leverage.
We can negotiate with the UN to pay our fair share, with the looming option of withdrawing totally.

Personally, I hope we withdraw.
The US can do our own negotiations with other countries, based on what is best for our country.
We can also assist in negotiations between our allies and other countries by throwing in bits of compromises in our own deals with those same countries.

We would get much better results than allowing a say from countries that we should not care about their opinion at all. They would likely stab the US in the back if they had the chance.

If there are natural disasters or other emergencies in allied countries, the US can offer assistance as (or if) we can afford to do so without being controlled by UN dictates.

This is not isolationism. This is what nationalism is. And it is not a bad word.
The US should take care of the US first.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skeletonized
USA chooses isolationism, right wing nationalism on the rise in several European countries. I get this funny feeling that I've read about this in history class. My gut tells me this would cause more problems than solve, at least long term. What will Russia and China do if this is passed?

Exactly.

IMHO, simply put, if nations want our protection then they better start paying for it.

Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Europe etc...etc.....

We protect Japan at the cost to US taxpayers, same as all the above, WHY?

We would be happy to leave, most of them profess to hate us anyway.

Things need to change, the UN is a joke.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Well said.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The US won't withdraw from the UN. It's a useful political tool to get our way without having to give anything up. Our permanent Security Council position gives the US immense leverage.

Veto power alone has kept us from having to go to war, that makes up for the money we spend on the UN.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

This is a good step. Stay strong America.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

originally posted by: uncommitted
Anyhow, if this does go through, why is Trump building up the military? So America can go and fight and kill under the assumption that no one is allowed to tell them not to?

You just really don't understand what's happening in the world, do you? Globalization had its run, and failed. Miserably. Forced integration always will fail. It is a very bad idea. And no, Trump is strengthening our military to protect the United States. Period.

You live in a fantasy world.

This is no fantasy. The bill is real and I gave you the official link in the OP. It is your sorry ass fantasy that is over. And it will be a joy watching it unravel at the seams.

Wow, your comprehension of actual events is similar to a White House press attache. Are you saying this will not embolden Russia due to the fact the US would not act in any way against them within the UN? It's a simple answer - yes or no?

And from whom pray tell would a larger US military be protecting America from? Are you expecting an invasion any time soon?

Sad.
edit on 22-1-2017 by uncommitted because: whoops, formatting

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: 727Sky

If this goes through there will be a time when another such function will come into being.
Could we be close to the 4 beast arising in end time prophecy of Daniel ? I always wondered how that might come about while looking at the world stage as it has been for awhile . interesting times for tptb and us.

Amazing time to live in isn't it.

Please allow me to echo that sentiment.

Based on the number of flags this thread has garnered, I'd say this bill has a good chance of becoming law by the end of the week. Even better if it is the first one he's offered.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
Are you expecting an invasion any time soon?

We've already been invaded.

Were you blind to the last several years, or what?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Not compared to who, compared to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948, the objective of all UN countries, including the US. So if what I say offends you, go and dig up the politicos who did nothing, and shake the shiite out of their skeletons, for answers.

It doesn't offend me, I was just asking what you're judging us against. If your answer is that you judge us against an idealized document that every signatory knew was just a pipe dream, I'd say you need to get out more. In reality, actual human rights abuses are few and far between here. We're not perfect, but we have it good enough that the big "issues" people are marching and rioting against here are that criminals are sometimes shot by police and their candidate lost a free and fair election. Most people in this world would gladly trade those "problems" for the real hardships and injustices they face.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join