It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The case for nationwide legalization of cannabis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

The endogenous cannabinoid system, named after the plant that led to its discovery, is perhaps the most important physiologic system involved in establishing and maintaining human health

norml.org...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

One of the most heinous injustices committed by our government was the prohibition of Cannabis and categorizing it as a schedule 1 drug. Cannabis has been held captive and shrouded in grossly inaccurate misinformation for far too long.

It is not illegal because it is a dangerous drug. It is illegal because certain big investors stood to loose a lot of money. One example is the fact that it could be used as an alternative to fossil fuel which threatened investors in the oil industry.

Another is the fact that hemp is a much better option for paper, but a man named William Hearst had put a lot of money into timber and did what he could to protect that investment.

He came up with this bit of propaganda as a part of his smear campaign,

Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men’s shadows, and look at a white woman twice.”

www.medicaljane.com...

Here's some more BS from Anslinger,

Marijuana is the most violence causing drug in the history of mankind…Most marijuana smokers are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes.” He often used

The dinosaurs still standing in the way with this moronic make believe mindset need to STFU and drift away into irrelevancy where they belong. The people who are still brainwashed by this thoroughly debunked propaganda need to wake the F up.

The greatest atrocity is the unacceptable number of people who have needlessly suffered because this medicine has been withheld by greedy scumbags. Now the DEA is saying CBD is illegal and has no medicinal value. What a wildly blatant lie, they should feel ashamed. Here are just a few examples of the powerful medicinal properties of this incredibly gentle and safe plant.

www.encod.org...

The legal states have nothing but good to report, and they're making insane amounts of money.

The government agencies still standing in the way need to realize they are hindering long overdue progress, causing countless people to suffer. Through their actions they have become a parasitic enemy to humankind.
edit on 22-1-2017 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
How many Americans die from fatty liver disease and cirrhosis thanks to consumption of alcohol and pharmaceutical drugs as well as a crappy diet? How many die from tobacco abuse? How many drink themselves to death in one night? How many in related accidents? I hold the industry and enforcement lobbyists that keep this alternative illegal just as accountable as those who abuse the substances mentioned. We are a nation of hypocrisy until full legalization for recreational use for adults is accepted nationwide. As I typed this nobody has died from overdosing on THC. I can't say the same for the rest.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
AND. The case AGAINST nationwide legalization of cannabis

1--Donald Trump
2--Jeff Sessions.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I never understood how people let the government tell adults what they are allowed to consume and jail people who smoke or eat a plant.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I don't condone the usage of weed, it basically ruined my entire 20's, what was supposed to be the best years of my life. That being said, I am for legalization, because I am pro-freedom. It was my choice to use, my choice to ruin my life. However, if weed was legal, maybe I wouldn't have been such a shut-in, maybe I wouldn't have been afraid to get a job (because I wouldn't have failed a drug test). I don't like drugs at all, alcohol included, but if legal, I do believe pot would be the least harmful of all mind altering substances.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

1--Donald Trump
2--Jeff Sessions.

I was encouraged to think the Trump Administration might actually at least keep the states free to chose. After picking that dinosaur and his team of oligarchs I knew that was a "pipe-dream" He drained the swamp alright He stocked it with prehistoric gators from the Cretaceous Period and pumped in a cesspool from Wall St.
edit on 22-1-2017 by TheGozerian because: typo

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Marijuana prohibition is what created Mexican cartels.

The war on drugs should be the US attacking Mexican cartels indiscriminately like we do in the ME. that is a bombing campaign I would actually support.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
I don't condone the usage of weed, it basically ruined my entire 20's, what was supposed to be the best years of my life. That being said, I am for legalization, because I am pro-freedom. It was my choice to use, my choice to ruin my life. However, if weed was legal, maybe I wouldn't have been such a shut-in, maybe I wouldn't have been afraid to get a job (because I wouldn't have failed a drug test). I don't like drugs at all, alcohol included, but if legal, I do believe pot would be the least harmful of all mind altering substances.

I can respect that. Everyone has different body chemistry. This is why SSRIs work on some and not others, our brains are "wired" differently depending on several factors. For me it enhanced my creativity, my motivation and I was hell on wheels until I had to stop using it. Then I was the same depressed mess I was before and if it wasn't for my career I'd still be. I never even tried it before college. It turned me around for the best.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGozerian

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

1--Donald Trump
2--Jeff Sessions.

I was encouraged to think the Trump Administration might actually at least keep the states free to chose. After picking that dinosaur and his team of oligarchs I knew that was a "pipe-dream" He drained the swamp alright He stocked it with prehistoric gators from the Cretaceous Period and pumped in a cesspool from Wall St.

It will be interesting to see how the Fed's, now under Trump and the Republicans, contend with the rising number of states that want to legalize.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Prohibition is the root of a lot of the social ills in the US. Its past time to end this, at least with cannabis.
edit on 22-1-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Last I read somewhere(a while ago shortly before the election during the rape fake news) Trump wants the states to decide what to do in regards to decriminalization and recreational MJ. He believed that it should be legal medically on a federal level across the board.

If that's still true once the states start seeing the long term effects and money involved tax wise they'll start legalizing like crazy. It's all about money remember.

Hell once Trump see the cash that the federal government can make he might just magic pen the end of marijuana prohibition.

We're talking tobacco industry tax money. Space wall money.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
Prohibition is the root of a lot of the social ills in the US. Its past time to end this, at least with cannabis.

Definitely cannabis, but psylocybe mushrooms have show great potential as a treatment for conditions such as PTSD, depression, and anxiety. They're completely safe and would be beneficial to society if the bad stigma was removed and people were free to experiment with them as they pleased.

Other hallucinogens have shown similar promise.

In my opinion all drugs should be legalized. It would not result in a drug fueled chaos as some believe. If anything it would hurt the illegal drug industry, and allow society to learn how to co exist with drugs in a controlled manner.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard
I agree, Trump could make an insane amount of money for this country if he supported full legalization. It is an untapped industry of epic potential.

If he fails to embrace this opportunity I will be severely let down and worried he has become a puppet.

As for the cabinet picks. It is slightly concerning but so far it has only been the anti-trump crowd telling me what the picks will do and what I should think.

The only time Trump has spoken on the subject he sounded supportive.

Could it be that he will assign his drug war advocating cabinet picks to focus on stopping the cartel from crossing our boarders illegally to set up shop, making millions.

Perhaps he will order these guys to regulate drugs in a way that actually makes a difference and focuses on legitimate threats. They can take cannabis off of their list and allow the states to decide what they want to do.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

What about '___'? should it be legal too?

Where to draw the line? no lines at all?

edit, Nice one, they have blocked three letters.. but the question remains the same, what about all the others?
edit on 22-1-2017 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Definitely cannabis, but psylocybe mushrooms have show great potential as a treatment for conditions such as PTSD, depression, and anxiety. They're completely safe and would be beneficial to society if the bad stigma was removed and people were free to experiment with them as they pleased.

I agree on everything, except "they´re completely safe" because they aren´t. Depending on how you define "safe" of course. Emphasis added by me.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: solve

What about '___'? should it be legal too?

Where to draw the line? no lines at all?

edit, Nice one, they have blocked three letters.. but the question remains the same, what about all the others?

IMO depends on are they beneficial in ways. Such as, doctor guided mental health use(MDMA trial as of recent).

Also, will legalization of other drugs help stop the cartel drug trade? Of course it won't if the government continually aides them instead of really trying to stop them as it's speculated.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Great thread! You did an excellent job putting the links and videos and other information together. Excellent!!!

The greatest atrocity is the unacceptable number of people who have needlessly suffered because this medicine has been withheld by greedy scumbags. Now the DEA is saying CBD is illegal and has no medicinal value. What a wildly blatant lie, they should feel ashamed.

It's more than just a lie. This is a crime against humanity. It has been known since the '90s that our immune systems need cannabinoids. We have specific receptors in our immune systems for cannabinoids. The THC cannabinoids stimulate one set of receptors (ECR1 I believe they're called), and other cannabinoids like CBDs and CBGs work with another set of receptors (ECR2) in our immune systems. They are withholding -- and criminalizing! -- the medicines our bodies need.

They should feel more than just shame. But they'd need a conscience for that.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

How about for just for fun?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I hate how they have to divide it into "recreational" and "medical" use.

It is really ALL medicinal.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
And now for why Federal legalization isn't possible given our current laws and government, because it's against the law to consider legalizing anything already scheduled ( you can thank Nixon for that):

By law, the drug czar must oppose any attempt to legalize the use (in any form) of illicit drugs.[12] According to the "Office of National Drug Control Policy Reauthorization Act of 1998"[13] the director of the ONDCP

(12) shall ensure that no Federal funds appropriated to the Office of National Drug Control Policy shall be expended for any study or contract relating to the legalization (for a medical use or any other use) of a substance listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) and take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of a substance (in any form) that --

1. is listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812); and

2. has not been approved for use for medical purposes by the Food and Drug Administration;
The Government Accountability Office has found that this law authorizes the ONDCP to disseminate information in order to oppose legalization:[14]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

As you can see it's also illegal to support any research into medical qualities of any substance already Schedule 1. Nothing short of a complete rewriting of Americas drug laws with a majority of government agreeing will be able to make cannabis federally legal.

This is why it made me so angry to hear Sessions smile and laugh while saying, "If people want marijuana legal, they should vote for it to be federally legal." He knows what the laws are. Thousands of sick people rely on cannabis in place of opiates and other addictive drugs and to just have their concerns laughed off like they don't matter rubbed me the wrong way.

So unless the most drastic restructuring of our nations laws ever to happen takes place, states rights is where the cannabis issue will reside.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join