It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Division

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I would like to understand something. The division of this country, at least in our little world here, is obvious. Under who's watch did this division happen? Who was President, while this division was going on? Who's fault is it that we are divided? Does it really matter? It happens every four years. The division happened when the Democratic-Republican party was formed around 1801. The Federalist party was in power before that. They became elitists and were defeated by Thomas Jefferson.

I guess if we really want to know who to blame, it is both Republicans and Democrats. The Founding Fathers did not really plan for the political system to be partisan, so the Declaration of Independence does not have much to say on the topic.

I am tired of being partisan.

One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received was from my 15 year old daughter: Don't listen to someone to reply. Listen to understand.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I blame the Russians

During the cold war US was semi united against a common enemy, then the Russians dropped the ball and there was no one else to blame for everything than the other guys that alternate the power with you.

I mean, who else is to blame if its not everyone but me...
edit on 21-1-2017 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
I would like to understand something. The division of this country, at least in our little world here, is obvious. Under who's watch did this division happen? Who was President, while this division was going on? Who's fault is it that we are divided? Does it really matter? It happens every four years. The division happened when the Democratic-Republican party was formed around 1801. The Federalist party was in power before that. They became elitists and were defeated by Thomas Jefferson.

I guess if we really want to know who to blame, it is both Republicans and Democrats. The Founding Fathers did not really plan for the political system to be partisan, so the Declaration of Independence does not have much to say on the topic.

I am tired of being partisan.

One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received was from my 15 year old daughter: Don't listen to someone to reply. Listen to understand.

Most ordinary and sane people have similar needs and wants, the division forms around the best method of achieving and maintaining those needs and wants.
edit on 22-1-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Wise young lady.

It is almost always best to listen and try to understand what you are being told.

As the saying goes: It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

In other words, the loudest among us get the most attention, but that does not mean it's more important or more profound in it's purpose.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
I blame the Russians

During the cold war US was semi united against a common enemy, then the Russians dropped the ball and there was no one else to blame for everything than the other guys that alternate the power with you.

It is a sad state of affairs when wars are needed to unite people, but they have happened for millennia.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Yeah. It also starts when other people try to make you do things their way. I see your point.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Yes she is wise. I cannot disagree with that. Some people scream on the inside quietly, and then they get loud. The problem with getting loud, I have found, is that you might not like the attention that you get.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I blame the Russians

Blaming the Russians for this too?. I know... people are Russian around in the rat race we have created. I see.

edit on 21-1-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I think the internet is partially to blame.

On the internet, opinions have replaced facts. Opinions are like farts in a bathtub. Fun to look at but don't last very long, yet we base so much on just opinions.

But the divisions that we see now are more concrete.

People want different things now. When I mean different, I mean that some want the Constitution gone or heavily redacted.

Others don't.

Hence, you get the divide we're seeing now.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

Yes she is wise. I cannot disagree with that. Some people scream on the inside quietly, and then they get loud. The problem with getting loud, I have found, is that you might not like the attention that you get.

Such is the nature of politics. While one side screams about the sins and hypocrisy of the other, their own sins and hypocrisy is thrown back at them.

Problem is, very few seem to stop and digest their own faults as a result. Nothing is gained.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I don't understand the division. It seems people have lost the ability to think for themselves. They have fallen into the media trap completely. They are told, what is attractive, what is not, what is valuable, what is not, what is fashionable, what is not. Now they are told what to think, what to say, what to accept, and what to reject.

Most can't see beyond their computer screen even if it is sitting right across the table from them.

I would not want to live in a world where everyone thought like me, liked everything I like, and disliked everything I dislike. I have family and friends that run the the whole gambit from one extreme to the other. We don't always agree. Thank God for that.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I was blaming the Russians before it was cool.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

I was blaming the Russians before it was cool.

Putin the blame on Russians is not a Crimea.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I think the internet is partially to blame.

On the internet, opinions have replaced facts. Opinions are like farts in a bathtub. Fun to look at but don't last very long, yet we base so much on just opinions.

But the divisions that we see now are more concrete.

People want different things now. When I mean different, I mean that some want the Constitution gone or heavily redacted.

Others don't.

Hence, you get the divide we're seeing now.

Would you have any idea's on how to improve upon the Constitution? Or do you believe that it is as good as it is going to get?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

That is very true. I started to do some self evaluation and that is why I wrote this.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
When Rome was founded, they had kings, until the moment when one became so fixed on waging a war that would almost see the destruction of the City. So they abolished monarchy and created the senate. All was fine until Julius Caeser did a Palpatine move and became Diktator. It gave ideas to his successors.

It's a cycle apparently. We become complacent and are indoctrinated by the leaders, and it is transmitted to the next generation, and said leaders inevitably become power hungry over time, because as it has been said before, evil men will rise to power because good men will let them do.

The pattern seem the same. All regimes are or have been affected by this. That's how I see it.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
division happens when people`s goals and values become too dissimilar.
a little diversity is good too much diversity is not so good.

The goals,values and lifestyles of poor people in America are so vastly different from the middle and upper class that we might as well be 2 different nations.
The goals,values and lifestyles of the American people aren`t divided along ethnic lines or political lines they are divided along financial lines.

edit on 22-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

It does seem like programming with the media bias for both sides.

You would not like people to think like you and dislike the same things as you? If they did it would certainly solve a lot of issues we have today. What do you think would be the downside to that?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

Very insightful post. I will have to dwell on that thought. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Thank you for the nice words.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join