It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Level new analysis and graphing tools

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Anyone have time to watch the video in this link? My youtube is blocked till my data resets. I'm pretty sure the effect is expected to be like 50 or more meters according to this Professor Jerry Mitrovica

www.physicsforums.com...

Here's another article where Mitrovica is quoted:
nautil.us...
edit on 22-1-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Anyone have time to watch the video in this link? My youtube is blocked till my data resets. I'm pretty sure the effect is expected to be like 50 or more meters according to this Professor Jerry Mitrovica

www.physicsforums.com...

Yes nautil.us... says 50 meters.
edit on 1/22/2017 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

No, I would say the thickness of the human hair sounds about right. Micrometers it is.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

No, I would say the thickness of the human hair sounds about right. Micrometers it is.

TheRedneck

Read the Nautil.us link in the previous two posts.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

If it is predicting 50 meters of sea level rise... no, thanks. I prefer reruns of Star Trek: Voyager. Still fantasy, but at least it's admitted fantasy.

Someone couldn't find the "mu" key on their keyboard apparently.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

If it is predicting 50 meters of sea level rise... no, thanks. I prefer reruns of Star Trek: Voyager. Still fantasy, but at least it's admitted fantasy.

Someone couldn't find the "mu" key on their keyboard apparently.

TheRedneck

It's predicting a DROP in sea level by 50 meters near Greenland when the glacier is melted and no longer exerts a gravitational pull on the ocean. The rise will be elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

For that to happen, the Greenland ice would have to have the density of a neutron star.

I like my choice. Aliens split B'lana Torres into a pure Klinger and a pure Human, forcing her to confront her Klinger half directly. Much more believeable. At least the holographic doctor was able to revert her DNA sequencing to normal in the end.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck
I think we need to find out if this is actually true, the people of Greenland need to get out their hairdriers and melt that ice fast! As an added benefit, it will make oil and gas exploration much easier once the ice is out of the way.

Fame of the academic variety came early to Mitrovica and mushroomed about a decade ago, when he reminded people what happens to local sea levels in the vicinity of a melting ice sheet, like those covering Greenland and Antarctica. The effect was first described a hundred years ago, but “people had forgotten how big it was,” he says. “It’s big.” If Greenland’s ice sheet melted entirely, sea level would fall 20 to 50 meters at the adjacent coast. That’s counterintuitive, but the ice sheets are so massive (Greenland’s ice, one-tenth the size of the Antarctic ice sheets, weighs on the order of 3,000 trillion tons) that two immediate effects come into play. First, all that ice exerts gravitational pull on the surrounding ocean. When an ice sheet melts, that gravitational influence diminishes, and water moves away from the ice sheet, causing sea levels to drop as far as 2,000 kilometers away.

harvardmagazine.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join