It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no such thing as fake news..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
..there is however such a thing as propaganda artists with a defunct narrative.

At what point did news stop becoming gated stories of what the current political elite regarded as important issues for the populkace and become this flinging contest of public deformation of character?

At least the controlled propaganda was at least some what factual as opposed to hearsay.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: L.A.B

I guess we could use untrue news but it was the MSM that created the "fake news" meme and its them that are going to have to wear it for now . I guess also that it may be the spin they put on facts that could be considered un true as well but the fake news kind of says it all imo

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I agree , I think the term has been created by those who wish to muddy the waters to hide their nefarious activities.

edit on 21-1-2017 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
News can be either factual true stories or slanted lies. If the editor knows it not true before publication, I would call that fake news.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Watch BBC documentey about gadafi. Then tell me how fake western media is.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well I know there are certain mems on this site that revel in spreading "fake news" all the time.I.E go to the LOL/hoax forum..It's pretty much the same usernames there..
edit on 21-1-2017 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: L.A.B

At what point did news stop becoming gated stories of what the current political elite regarded as important issues for the populkace and become this flinging contest of public deformation of character?

About 3000 years ago.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

It is my opinion that when the MSM broadcasts contrived footage as being something else, it is fake.

There are plenty of proven cases of this.

The NBC news show that faked GM pickups bursting into flames due to collisions is one case. They couldn't get the trucks to burst into flames with just a collision, so they used pyrotechnic devices to ignite the gas tanks. Then they broadcast the show with the video as a truck bursting into flames due to collision only.
CNN has broadcast footage as being 'on the scene' when they were in a studio using green screen.
CNN helped Hillary rig the Democratic Presidential primary debates.

Nothing fake there?

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Lets try again - I hear you and agree almost completely.

Back before 24 hour news and alt-media, we had predetermined times we were conditioned to getting our "real" news, any other time could be fair game for entertainment programming. But our News times were inviolable.

Those folks who transitioned straight into 24 hour news, most likely are least able to distinguish "news" as being real or fake, even though there's a couple of light year's difference between Wolf Blitzer and Walter Chronkite.

So for decades we've succumbed to the erosion of our "news" into blatant "entertainment" programming by the networks. Let's not forget it's all just a revenue generating opportunity to sell products via advertising. Bingo, the advent of confirmation bias news popularity and commercial success. People will gladly "pay" for being lied to if they like the lies they're getting. Truth be damned.

Now you can add an unhealthy dose of government plausibility in creating propaganda news and smothering the populace with more lies to make us compliant and unaware. Government "news" releases are sanctioned fiction by law so it may not be the media twisting up facts and spinning a tale any longer. Ministry of Truth?

But I'm not too keen on the "fake news" moniker when the "real" news has alreadly shown to be full of fictional propaganda. This is all a very earnest (couldn' t say honest here) process to obfuscate our own thinking, mold our perception, and ultimately, take our money/time/labor/effort! This situation is far more insidious than mere challenges of "fake news", it goes to the very core of media programming throughout the spectrum. Read those credits sometime about funding from various "think tanks", the CDC, the ONDCP - these organizations are widely influencing much more than the "news" (fake or not).

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
There has always been fake news, at least in my 5 decades of expereince. I used to assume the majority of americans have the common sense to discern what is factual. I now fear this is not the case. Nowadays, with so much information, whats real may not be so obvious. Long before the internet, examples could be found in the newspapers in the grocery checkout line. I used to think there were a few that did beleive UFOs were piloted by Elvis. But back then we did beleive almost everything in the 6 oclock news from the 3 networks though.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Greetings-

If One were to dig just a tad deeper, You don't even have to leave the friendly confines of ATS™ I only mention this due to "info sharing" and how much of You gets shared as You traipse about the interweb, in some places this is called "Surfing the web" It is the "Info Sharing/Sucking of Intel" that brought about the worthless link aka "Click Bait"...

Anywhooo-- The following threads can be found via a search.

•The last POTUS approved the use of propaganda in order "to provide better government services to people whether they know it or not..." (paraphrasing, but words to that effect)

• EVERY "news story" goes through a 'security filter' prior to being aired. One of the Alpha Bet agency reads through proposed stories before they are released to the public. The only news stories that don't fall under this scrutiny are those that are "happening now" that is being aired/commentated on by more than 1 news agency. This explains the errors in reporting and the constant updating and on other stories, the originating reporter is now credited. (deniability)

• Thread w/video of a great number of news stations reporting the SAME STORY You have to see what I mean.

• Technology where You can have anyone on camera say ANYTHING You want.

It is ALL a big commercial.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

Couldn't have summed up my thoughts any better.

People here who comment "but it is fake news". I understand your centiment, but you're not hearing how ridiculous calling propaganda 'fake news' is.

I want my propaganda raw and to the core! ..Not some PR stunt to publically slander an opponent. I want to hear how the fascists send people to the goulag! ..Not how my oponent purpotedly rapes and mistreats women.

Tell me something important that could destabilise the world.. and not your ratings.
edit on 21/1/2017 by L.A.B because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Ok I think I see what you're getting at: propaganda is different from "fake news".

My point is that since the gov can now legally spread domestic propaganda to news outlets, we can't tell what's "real" and what's "propaganda". It all looks like propaganda to me, or "advertising" if you prefer, same thing: selling your idea to the public in a manner so they think it's their own. All the advertising tricks are in play, subliminals, hidden meanings, phraseology, etc.

So while propaganda is different from fake news - when do we know when there's real news?

ganjoa

top topics

join