It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump returns bust of Churchill to Oval Office

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: zosimov

War is hell

No excuse. Any sentient being would find this crime odious.

Much like the crimes the Nazis committed against the Jew's?
It was a retaliatory response to those horrendous acts. If I remember correct the British and Americans also leveled Berlin simply for posterity sake.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There's a HUGE difference between what the German and Jap MILITARY did, as opposed to how Churchill bombed a city full of CIVILIANS.

Military and Civilians are two separate things, you know this right?

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Yes we should. Evil in response to evil is still unjustified.

You'd think that would be easy enough to understand. Yes, horrific things happen is war. Does that mean we should celebrate that, or elevate the war criminals by memorializing them in our highest offices?

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

War is hell

No excuse. Any sentient being would find this crime odious.

Much like the crimes the Nazis committed against the Jew's?
It was a retaliatory response to those horrendous acts. If I remember correct the British and Americans also leveled Berlin simply for posterity sake.

Yep, all horrific. We don't see Hitler's bust in the White House, though.. do we?

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

The children my have been innocent.
But their parents elected the man that stared the whole mess.
There were a hell of a lot of innocent Jews including children killed by Germans.

link   

a reply to: alldaylong

ONE death by government sanctioned firebombing is reprehensible, let alone thousands.

Who is a more admirable human being: Stalin, Hitler or John Wayne Gacy?

Evil is evil whether it be in response of horrific actions or not. Moral relativity is a dangerous game to play.

The actions sanctioned by Churchill where a response to a war instigated by Hitler.

Did you expect Churchill to standby and not respond ?

Maybe Britain should have been like The French, and just let The Nazi's walk in. You would have been happy with that i do believe.

link   
Holocaust, torture - MILITARY

Dresden - CIVILIAN

Are we getting the picture now?

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I wouldn't call it decorating,rather bringing back an old friend and a source of inspiration.

link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

ONE death by government sanctioned firebombing is reprehensible, let alone thousands.

Evil is evil whether it be in response of horrific actions or not. Moral relativity is a dangerous game to play.

The actions sanctioned by Churchill where a response to a war instigated by Hitler.

Maybe Britain should have been like The French, and just let The Nazi's walk in. You would have been happy with that i do believe.

Please inform us how bombing a civilian city gave Britains a tactical advantage over their enemy.

link   
a reply to: Kryties

War is hell.

We are fortunate today that we can sit here and try to armchair quarterback those times rather than actually live them.

And there are times coming when we may have to see those responses again. We have a new enemy in this world who thinks nothing of hiding among the civilian population and using them as a shield, caching men and material among what we think of the most civilian of places: hospitals, schools, places of worship.

If we fight that war, and we are coming to a time when we may no choice, then you may have to think long and hard about whether you want to win or appear moral.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

There was simply NO reason to bomb Dresden. The war was nearly over, the Germans were already in retreat.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Dresden - CIVILIAN

What are you trying to say exactly ?

If you are implying that the population of Dresden where non- military, the the same goes for The Jews.

edit on 21-1-2017 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Dresden - CIVILIAN

Germany killed about ten million Russian civilians.

Get the picture?

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Please inform us how bombing a civilian city gave Britains a tactical advantage over their enemy.

You could ask the same question of Nazi Germany.

London
Birmingham
Coventry
Sheffield
Liverpool
Cardiff
Manchester

The list goes on.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

There's a HUGE difference between what the German and Jap MILITARY did, as opposed to how Churchill bombed a city full of CIVILIANS.

Look up "London Blitz" and get back to us about who threw the first stone.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

Look up "London Blitz" and get back to us about who threw the first stone.

Please explain why a city full of German civilians had to be bombed when the Germans were in retreat and the war was almost won?

The London Blitz happened at the height of the war. Dresden happened when the Germans were nearly toast.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

You could ask the same question of Nazi Germany.

London
Birmingham
Coventry
Sheffield
Liverpool
Cardiff
Manchester

The list goes on.

No, I'm asking you! No one is here defending the actions of the Nazis, but there are people on here defending the actions of Churchill. So I'll ask again:

How did bombing the civilians of Germany give Britian a tactical advantage?

Or was the massacre done solely as revenge?
edit on 21-1-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

There was simply NO reason to bomb Dresden. The war was nearly over, the Germans were already in retreat.

Were you there?

Do you know?

What would the cost been on the ground to use ground forces to take the city?

This is like armchair quarterbacking the atomic bombs with people who say there was no excuse for that. Given the way the Japanese fought, can you imagine the massacre that would have taken place on those islands for both Allied and Axis forces in an attempted conventional assault?

Realizing that civilians had been ordered to fight as if they were military in any such invasion. At that point, they were also no longer civilians.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

That is awesome! I never understood that blatantly biased...or should I say racist move by Obammy

I really couldn't care less, but I always thought that if we're going to have busts of people in the White House, they should be busts commemorating great Americans.
edit on 21-1-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Mate WW2 has been scrutinized in minute detail for 81 years now. I don't need to have been there to know the Germans posed no more threat as they were hastily retreating and getting their asses kicked. Dresden was simply a "F**k you" bombing and thousands of civilians needlessly died.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join