It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don's speech broken down and fact checked

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
The lights were on , but no one was home...

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I generally question stories like this one from FactCheck that don't allow comments. I suspect some sites do this so that dissenting views aren't posted. Reading the article I see language/word tricks to back up their point of view like:

"Trump promised to “bring back our jobs.” Manufacturing jobs have been on the decline for decades, but Trump inherits an overall economy that has gained jobs for a record 75 straight months and has an unemployment rate well below the historical norm."

This statement and the section with the details of their point talk about jobs in general, not specifically manufacturing jobs. They do state that in general, manufacturing jobs are in decline due to automation, but offer no statistics for comparison. Sounds like another "Snopes" type hit piece to me.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
OK...thank you for that.

I looked into your OP source because I always am looking for an unbiased point of view. Having never heard of FactCheck I didn't know if it was or wasn't unbiased. It wasn't a "slam" in posting the sites funding or background. Now that I know it's "read it and take with a grain of salt".

So far all Trump has done is sign an executive order granting waivers and making the process of ACA allegedly easier.
Plus confirmations in the Military.

Until I read the waiver and see what it entails I have zero option. Until I talk to family in the Military I also have no opinions of his Military "Picks". My opinions will be formed with all kinds of input especially the parts I probably will not like hearing.

And to another poster, Sessions will be tasked with carrying out Trumps agenda above all. I'd be worrying about what Trumps thoughts are on legalizing weed instead of his lackey.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mike.Ockizard
I generally question stories like this one from FactCheck that don't allow comments. I suspect some sites do this so that dissenting views aren't posted. Reading the article I see language/word tricks to back up their point of view like:

"Trump promised to “bring back our jobs.” Manufacturing jobs have been on the decline for decades, but Trump inherits an overall economy that has gained jobs for a record 75 straight months and has an unemployment rate well below the historical norm."

This statement and the section with the details of their point talk about jobs in general, not specifically manufacturing jobs. They do state that in general, manufacturing jobs are in decline due to automation, but offer no statistics for comparison. Sounds like another "Snopes" type hit piece to me.

OR, you are just cherry picking to align it with your opinions

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
It's no secret that I am no fan of Trump. But I was no fan of HRC nor did I vote for Obama... either time. Just wanted to get that out there so the Trump ass-lickers would get back in their seats. I listened to his speech. If someone else had given that speech --- someone from a third party for example --- I would be very excited. But I'm one of those people who absolutely distrusts DJT. He wrote a book about telling people what they want to hear to 'seal the deal' and used that tactic effectively throughout his campaign. My fear is that he is simply a flim-flam man.

In his speech he basically told the Washington power-base and the Elite that he's coming for them. He plans to dismantle the empire they have built over generations and redirect their wealth and power back to 'The People'. He's going to stop ISIS, end poverty, provide healthcare for everyone and create 'millions' of jobs. No use of the word 'try'. He made a contract with the American people in that speech.

There are three possible outcomes:

--- He can actually deliver on these and all the other promises he made during the campaign. Does anyone actually believe ANYONE could do this? Does anyone actually believe that people FAR more powerful and with far more wealth at-stake than DJT will allow this to happen? Why would DJT give a rat's ass about you, me and the rest of the common people? He has a long history of routinely screwing 'common people' (contractors and tradesmen) out of money he owes them for work done on his RE projects. Why the sudden about-face? Why would he be concerned with people he has no contact with and who he wouldn't even allow to use his bathrooms?

--- He's utterly deluded. He actually believes he can do all these things cause he is totally clueless. He will try, fail (which doesn't go well with DJT) and go all spastic when his grand plan starts falling apart. As he has demonstrated throughout the campaign when things don't go his way he will double-down and get reckless.

--- He's scamming all of you. He's lying. He knows he can't do any of this but knows it's what you want to hear. Meantime, he has 'drained the swamp' and filled it with the cesspool. He and all his cronies will, as usual, fill their bank accounts at our expense and push yet more wealth up the socio-economic ladder at the expense of us and especially the poor and impoverished.

Is there another possibility I've missed? He delivers or not, right? ISIS is done, poverty is wiped-out, crime is eliminated, jobs are abundant. DJT is looking to have his family be the next Camelot. But although I would LOVE to see him fulfill the contract he just made with America --- if not for our sake then certainly for our children and grand-children --- but IMHO, he might just as well have promised us all pet unicorns. I simply cannot fathom how he can deliver on what he has promised. His Camelot will instead be Dystopia,

edit on 21-1-2017 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

AH - here is my point about fact checking. Yes the number of american jobs has increased since 2008 when Obama took office

BUT (and its a big but)

www.reuters.com...

Jobs growth in the U.S. since the 2008 recession has been undermined by lower wages, with workers earning an average 23 percent less than earnings from jobs which were lost, a report by an organization representing U.S. cities said on Monday. The average annual salary in sectors where jobs were lost - particularly manufacturing and construction - during the 2008-9 financial crisis was $61,637, according to the report by the United States Conference of Mayors (USCM), which represents cities with populations of more than 30,000. Job gains through the second quarter of 2014 in comparative sectors showed average wages of $47,171, implying $93 billion in lower wage income, the report said. The report also showed that the majority of metro areas - 73 percent - had households earning salaries of less than $35,000 a year. The latest monthly employment data from the Labor Department showed that more than 200,000 jobs were created for the sixth straight month in July, but that wages were about flat in the private sector.

The OP is biased bull#. Anyone can get a job providing minimum wage and no benefits but you just can't live with it.

America is worse off than in 2008.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

thats a huge big beautiful cherry picked "BUT"

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think this is a zen-uendo thread.
You'd have to read between the lines to get the meaning.
Only there are no lines...
Starving for lack of food for thought

*Disclaimer* - there were only 3 replies when I started this post, now we're on page two - late hit on my part (sorry)
ganjoa

edit on 21-1-2017 by ganjoa because: Content ws created while posting my reply - my bad

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well I'm glad this topic is chock full of important information.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

I sometimes think about the republicans in office getting annoyed while Don speaks out "Everyone will have health insurance".

See, what the RIO (republicans in office) want will take AWAY health insurance for many. Don is backing them in a corner. The only way to repeal Obamacare and make it so "EVERYONE WILL HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE" is universal healthcare which is frowned upon on the republican platform.

Don is actually a democrat (he actually is nothing) and he has expressed his approval of Universal Healthcare before so It looks like he very well could make great decisions and be a wonderful president.

His cabinet picks tho...hes up to something there...a not so good something

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Well I'm glad this topic is chock full of important information.

Hey Xue,

Sorry I do not post many links as you do. I post threads more up for discussion than links that could possibly be biased or fake news.

We are very opposite but opposites attract?

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Cherry picking is claiming that jobs were created but not presenting the value of those jobs to the population

Try looking a GDP to see if the population can afford to pay rent or not. Saying that someone has a "job" that they can't live on it is cherry picking

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

NO, is not a psychological issue, the truth and historical facts can not be denied, ignored and else, like many will love to do, erase history so the millennium generation feels good about the inherited crap they get today.

People like me that have lived for 5 decades knows what America used to be and what administrations has done to it.

The Bread and butter of the nation was gutted to pieces and our industrial base lies in shambles.

Research you history or better yet is plenty of old threads in ATS that does a detail recount of how America is now in decline as a productive nation, the same productive nation that once feed what used to be the middle class.

The only class group prospering in this nation is the same calls group that help gut America for profits oversea.

Education has failed the new generation in this nation, they think that reading the net concocted facts is history.

Under Obama we had the lowest growth in recovery than in years before him under other administrations and even lower recovery than right after the great recession.

Sugar coating the success of the first black American president is nothing but trying to portrait his administration in history as better than it actually is.

The legacy of Obama will be debated for years to come, his failures will be greater than his accomplishments.

And you can take that to the bank.

edit on 21-1-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Cherry picking is claiming that jobs were created but not presenting the value of those jobs to the population

Try looking a GDP to see if the population can afford to pay rent or not. Saying that someone has a "job" that they can't live on it is cherry picking

to me, saying someone has a job is...saying someone has a job.

You are talking about quality jobs which IS important but a different issue
(different graph)
edit on 21-1-2017 by veracity because: diff graph

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: rickymouse

Awwe man, i at least give him an A-

Well, at least our economy didn't go belly up. Who cares if we now have five trillion more in debt.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
I think this is a zen-uendo thread.
You'd have to read between the lines to get the meaning.
Only there are no lines...
Starving for lack of food for thought

*Disclaimer* - there were only 3 replies when I started this post, now we're on page two - late hit on my part (sorry)
ganjoa

Good one but you need to be quicker with your poetic responses

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

And I think you know very very (as do the journalists that wrote the OP), that President Trump campaigned on bringing back quality jobs that people could live on.

And I think you know very well that the American people are crying out for quality jobs (as are Canadians).

The OP was pretending to be very obtuse about the matter and nick picking words but not the meaning of the words.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

And I think you know very very (as do the journalists that wrote the OP), that President Trump campaigned on bringing back quality jobs that people could live on.

And I think you know very well that the American people are crying out for quality jobs (as are Canadians).

The OP was pretending to be very obtuse about the matter and nick picking words but not the meaning of the words.

Don is digging at a different issue, if he brings back quality jobs (again, different graph) then he will get all of the glory for doing something great, however if he even once says he created more jobs in general (OP) then we know he is riding the shirttails of Obama

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mike.Ockizard

OR, you are just cherry picking to align it with your opinions

No just lazy. Use your analysis skills. Biased media is very tricky so you need to read and analyze every word/phrase. Like crime. The bullet suggests violent crime is on the decline nationally but in the detail they admit that in many cities it's not:

"A New York Times story in May 2016 cited “notable increases in murders in about two dozen cities in the first three months of the year compared to last year and a 9 percent increase nationwide.” Criminology and statistics experts told us they can’t discern a trend from such a small snapshot in time."

So the results from May in 2016 show increases in about 2 dozen cities. Well, what about the rest of 2016? If there was an uptick in May of 16 in "about two dozen cities", what about the country as a whole? I mean there should be statistics out for 2016 right? Preliminary Semiannual Uniform Crime Report, January–June, 2016

"Preliminary figures indicate that law enforcement agencies throughout the nation showed an overall increase of 5.3 percent in the number of violent crimes brought to their attention for the first 6 months of 2016 when compared with figures reported for the same time in 2015."

Also, the graph displayed on their page only shows trending to 2014 where you can see the uptick beginning. Now we know why. IMO the Obama admins mojo was beginning to fade. The first signs were in cities.

Don't just read these articles, analyze them and do homework. I'm lazy because there were indicators I saw that this was biased. The lack of a comment section where you can get called out is big one IMO.

edit on 21-1-2017 by Mike.Ockizard because: Fixed url

edit on 21-1-2017 by Mike.Ockizard because: Typo

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

www.factcheck.org...

sorry, i wanted to post a video bc i know that some people (as Don) do not read or do not like to read articles.

Basically, i want to put it out there that Don is going to harp and ride the train as long as he can of the accomplishments that Obama made.

If there's one thing we've learned over the last year, it's this: whenever we come across the term "fact check", the "truth" that follows is just as spurious and one-sided as the statement they are claiming to "fact check". It's the modern equivalent of "admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".

This applies to all sides of the political debate, incidentally. It's an entirely bipartisan perversity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join