It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My suggestions about the next four years.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
First, realize that I am sitting in the crowd, speaking my mind - I am not on a pulpit and I do not in any way see myself above my fellow citizens, we are equals and I hope to hear your suggestions to your fellow citizens as well. May you reflect, think, ponder, and proceed with such suggestions with care, I am not as interested in participating in a mud pit discussion as those are all too common, and even fill the main page of ats for now. I desire a civil discussion and open minded debate, a discourse, an exchanging of thoughts and expanding of minds.

So, without further ado, here's what's on my mind:

Liberals/Democrats - more progress has been made for minorities and those less fortunate in the last last few years than in a long time. Keep pushing for things like equality, fairness, social responsibility for those less fortunate, and other things like environmental protection and freedom for others to immigrate here - these are not bad things to fight for, just realize that the way you present these ideas matter in a huge way. Representing these issues in the wrong way, with the wrong tone, angrily and hastily will only stop or prolong this progress you hope for. Have open discussions with the opposite party and realize that compromise is not a swear word. Plans to help those in need can be statistically proven to be a financial gain, for instance - and presenting this fact will result in unity on key issues.

Conservatives/Republicans - if there's any time to prove your party has good ideas, and can heal this country in ways, now is the time to show it. The whole government is Republican right now, and the new president is a very rich man who knows business very well, if your trickle down economics could ever work, now is the time to prove it. Create an economy like that we haven't seen in decades, prove business and ethics are not antonyms, bring jobs back to America and prove those things which you advocate for to be worthy of being a part of this nation. Realize that your religious ideals may not be agreed with, and compromise is a key word moving forward, and will help our nation progress. Realize that those that you see as your enemy could very well hold the key to solving the issues that you care about most - think of prohibition here, banning something is not the answer, and will only cause a rise in ambiguous morality-based crime rate and consequently incarceration, which only burdens our country more and does nothing to help the situation you desire.

Both sides- realize that there are issues we may never agree on, but that finding commonality on issues is almost always possible, and from that commonality, progress can then be possible. We are not opposites, it's not simply black and white. I would be interested in discussing some of these topics so if you have any topics you'd like to bring up, go ahead and I'll try finding the commonality and the win, win situation.

So, what's on your mind?

-deadlyhope

P. S. - I truly hope for some good answers here, usually threads are littered with one liners, jokes, trolls, off topic messages and I simply ask that you make an attempt at a sincere reply. Thank you.

edit on 20-1-2017 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

more progress has been made for minorities and those less fortunate in the last last few years than in a long time.
a reply to: deadlyhope

Show me how. The statistics don't lend credence to your assertion. If I am wrong please tell my how. I'm open to new perspectives.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

more progress has been made for minorities and those less fortunate in the last last few years than in a long time.

Show me how. The statistics don't lend credence to your assertion. If I am wrong please tell my how. I'm open to new perspectives.

Ever hear of a little thing called obamacare? Rigght yeah definitely. Make me pay more and then in turn not be avle to afford insurance so lower income family's can have it. Then fine me for not being able to afford it.

Ya got blinders on bro? We could go on and on all night.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Thank you both for the sincere, thoughtful, well thought out and compassionate replies. I think our problems are fixed and we can take a rest now from true discussion.

Seriously though I give up on this God damn place. No one can have a real discussion, let's pick apart two words of a large post and then fling sh1t all over it.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
Thank you both for the sincere, thoughtful, well thought out and compassionate replies. I think our problems are fixed and we can take a rest now from true discussion.

Seriously though I give up on this God damn place. No one can have a real discussion, let's pick apart two words of a large post and then fling sh1t all over it.

Or you could reply to one of the rebuttals in regards to your post. But yeah complaining instead of discussion works.

And i was not replying to you. Calm your ego down there.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I will sign up, very well written. I was just sitting here with a cup of coffee thinking how to prepare for the future. I am definitely cancelling some medical tests for this year. I am old enough to remember the 50s,60s,70s. Economically, it was great. It made the rest seem easier to take, like atom bombs, viet nam, riots. But homelessness was way down the list of worries for most people, no matter skin color. Not like now, when a missed paycheck can send you to homelessness.
I wish I could believe that Pres Trump will deliver on the jobs. Then a lot of domestic problems would be eliminated. I just can't see it in my crystal ball so to speak. I can't see any reason or tax that would make companies hire americans for $15 hr compared to other countries at half or more, and no tax burden. And I don't believe congress will ever,( they will at least stall for years), pass a big tariff. On the social side, there are plenty of laws now for equality, the disabled, sex orientation. I wish both would just let it be now. Abortion rates are dropping because of better birth control.
I think if we don't make education accessible to the future for medical, tech, and robotic jobs, the future generations are screwed. I know the millennials don't appreciate medicare and social security, but they have not learned that bad things can happen to everyone. I think they will get screwed when it is taken away. But if that is what they voted for, let it be. And buying a house use to be a way of building wealth but not anymore because of rise of property taxes.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Ok, I'll bite.

I would like to see everyone be able to live their lives without a spying commie government all up in our business. I absolutely hate the way that tech has taken over the minds of the younger generation and I would like to see some good old fashioned teaching and learning going on in the schools, drop this common core, no child left behind bs and start teaching kids some critical learning, life and coping skills. That alone, imho, will do a lot to start moving this country forward. Personally, I don't care what color a person is, what religion (if any) they believe, or who they want to marry....If all they've ever wanted was to be accepted as a human, then they in turn have no right to condemn others who believe differently and should not be suing people to get their way. Personally, I think, have always thought, will continue to think, that Obummer was nothing but a muslim terrorist plant set in place to tear America apart from the inside out. Good riddance to him.

As for Trump, I think there is a lot more to the man and what he hopes for America than what meets the eye. This could be a good thing, or not so much. But we run that risk no matter who is elected into the wh. I support the man and do hope he can deliver on his promises. Trickle down economy..... hmmm..... I can, in my own mind see how that would work, but then again, prying the extra cash out of the hands of the greedy corp players I work for.... not so much. Trickle down can only work if it actually trickles to the workers. Most corporations are greedy bastards that are only interested in lining their own pockets and the pockets of the share-holders.

I would like see our actual GOD given rights as humans, and our freedoms of the USA restored to us.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

This is why I'm an Independent. I share the liberal concern for helping the less fortunate, but I also share the concern of conservatives who feel that government is too big and treading on our personal lives. I really think both can be addressed by eliminating government waste, foreign aid, excessive military spending and giving control back to state and local governments.

What would really help is if we got rid of the party system altogether. All it does is cause divisiveness and legislative gridlock.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Got me to bite......

1. I would like journalists of both sides to stop opining, and report the facts with out bias. Most of America can actually think for themselves...even if you don't agree with their logic.

2. I would like all Americans on both sides to stop focusing on what divides us, and to focus on our common interests and needs. For example, poverty is real in the US, instead of framing it as government is/isn't the cure all why don't we come together in our own neighborhoods to help our neighbors locally.

3. I would like to see many more live concerts this year than last...and see my 1st Formula 1 race.

4. Please, all of us, let's stop being hypocrites, let each other be their own person, do their own thing, and to not hurt any one.

5. I want proof of Atlantis, and lost civilizations, from those who have tried to hide it.

6. I want to lose 20 pounds.

7. I want the U.N. out of the US.

8. I want the Fed audited.

Sad thing is, there are only 2 line items I can control and ensure the success of.

Good luck, President Trump.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Great Post Deadlyhope!

1. Overhaul of the Tax code eliminating ALL loopholes and hold corporations to the same tax code as citizens.

2. Pay the freak attention to Mike Rowe and his Trades Jobs ideas. Jobs anywhere aren't going to matter much without electricians, plumbers, sanitation workers, people manning our water treatment plants etc. I for one don't want to go to work with the bathrooms all backed up!!

3. expand medicare to everyone and cut out the "for profit" BS. Make it a flat rate and take it right out of your paycheck like the federal taxes. Also more oversight for medicare fraud, it's rampant. Eliminate the VA and fold it into the single system.

4. Cut the global welfare.

5. Eliminate salaries for public offices. Most can be run on a set budget for the year. Eliminate per-diems as well, it's double dipping in most instances.

I'm sure there is a TON I'm missing, including a strengthening of our environmental pollution laws. Part of running any business is what to do with the waste, so instead of businesses leaving that till "later" never to be addressed, enforcing what's already on the books would be nice.

6. get rid of the ethanol component. It's ruining productive farmland and junking up small engines all over the country.

7. Education reform. Go back to the three writing, reading and arithmetic. Kids are taking too many irrelevant electives and NOT learning any critical thinking skills,

Yeah....it's just a wish-list and I'm sure there are consequences I'm not anticipating, but it's MY wishlist!

top topics

join